Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squall's Dead. SPOILERS

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It states the truth. She didn't show him much affection during the first disc.

The article does not say "rinoa doesn't like him for the rest of the game", but it says that the rest of the game it might just be a gigantic hallucination, so any affection she shows is just in his head.

But you would have known this if you read the stuff .
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It states the truth. She didn't show him much affection during the first disc.
    I think she did...

You need to read between the lines with it sometimes, they at the "I'm interested in you, but I get around it by fighting with you stage". The passion they showed eachother during the dance was very telling, and they just went with eachother, and I could just see they were at least attracted to eachother as early as disk one.

EDIT: I may read it again when I feel ready. I also remember it hated on Eyes on Me, which is an important song to me, for a reason - I just get sentimental when people hate on things that mean something to me, even though I get everyone's allowed to have an opinion, but if it has a sentimental meaning to me I take it more personally...

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I enjoy reading that article because there are some points that I can agree with. I don't agree with it but it's good fun

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

MJN SEIFER, I disagree that the two writers of this theory are FFVIII haters. I think they were merely disappointed with a few things story-wise and found a way to make it more enjoyable. A "hater" wouldn't make such an effort. Haters hate! They're more like "this is sort of okay, but hey, what if it was actually really cool, wouldn't that be neat?" when a hater would just complain about the game occasionally while mostly ignoring its existence. These two obviously found a lot of enjoyment in this game, even if they perceive it as flawed. As an optimist I have nothing but the utmost respect for people that can make their own happiness from something simple!

He also stated that the Laguna flashbacks weren't explained. I thought somewhere in the game they said Ellone caused those? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Rinoa not liking Squall in disc one, I could see that she liked him. That's why she got on my damn nerves. They were like picking at each other throughout the whole disc one. The same way kids do when they like each other.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Merged these threads to save time and effort Make sure you don't revive old threads, Haha_YouAint, especially if there's a recent one on the same topic

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

You cannot have a plot twist without actually including the twist. There are very few writers out there who rely on deep, layered meanings that the average person will never understand.

Square is not that subtle. They really aren't. The entire reason they released the Ultimanias (well, aside from the money aspect) was to explain everything that turned out to be too subtle for the average player to grasp. They are not the sort to hide their meaning that way.

Had Squall died, they would have let us know. They would have hinted at it somewhere. You get no impact from a character death if you can't even tell they died. It was a cliffhanger ending to the disc, that's all.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just to comment on Rinoa not showing Squall any affection:

The man I have been with for (just short of) 5 years now, I did not like AT ALL when I first met him. I thought he was immature and irritating. AND I was with another man when I met him (sound familiar?) After spending time with him, I fell in love. Feelings change. That's why I personally believe that 8 had one of the more realistic love stories (excluding the sorceress and space thing...). I don't think that's an argument for him being dead and dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post

The man I have been with for (just short of) 5 years now, I did not like AT ALL when I first met him. I thought he was immature and irritating. AND I was with another man when I met him (sound familiar?) After spending time with him, I fell in love. Feelings change. That's why I personally believe that 8 had one of the more realistic love stories (excluding the sorceress and space thing...). I don't think that's an argument for him being dead and dreaming.
    And the girl I'm with (and my ex as well, strangely) spends most her time picking away at me. Not in a serious way - it's just a dynamic. Squall and Rinoa is about as unlikely as most romantic events.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post

And the girl I'm with (and my ex as well, strangely) spends most her time picking away at me. Not in a serious way - it's just a dynamic. Squall and Rinoa is about as unlikely as most romantic events.
    Which in turn makes them 100% likley - genius!

wow, its such a good theroy when you look at it ever point its hard to argue against it. I read lots of theroys but none make as much sense as this one. I'm find it hard to really say anything else but I'll re-play the game with this in mind .
    I wish she was real....... I'm forever searching for my Rinoa........

So if Squall is dead why is he in the scene on the Garden right before the words, "The End?"

Quote Originally Posted by Haha_YouAint View Post
    He also stated that the Laguna flashbacks weren't explained. I thought somewhere in the game they said Ellone caused those? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ellone says she is responsible for those as she was try to change the past.

I love theories like this, it was a great read so credit to the person who wrote it definitely.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to these things, game's like ff8 are subjective, there are certain events and meanings that will be taken a different way by each and every person.
    That is what makes the Final Fantasy fanbase, in specific, so fantastic. Even after all these years, there are people that put great effort into analysing things which I think is awesome!

In short, My opinion is that of Jiro's. There are many points that I look at and make sense to me personally but im not sure on the entire theory.

Keep the theories coming though!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I think more specifically they meant that Ellone's ability to give them those flashbacks was not explained. But either way if you want to subscribe to the theory you can just write it off as "Squall died so all the explanation we'll ever get is what his subconscious tried to make sense of." A little cheap maybe, but so is some of the canon they're working with xD

You mean a 16 year old Girl THINKS she's in love, then a year later isnt in love? Do tell.