Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Squall's Dead. SPOILERS

Ok, this theory is really, really silly. It doesn't answer any questions, and only leaves every question in the game unanswered. That alone should be proof enough that it is not a good theory, but, I took the time to disprove it.

Like other people here, I thought there was no way to actually disprove it, though. However, when looking at the very premise of it, I noticed that the weak point is the actual death of Squall.

Here are two screenshots of the opening of the game, the Squall/Seifer fight. This happens in disc one, and it's not a flashback, dream, or anything. It happens before you are able to control squall, and immediatly afterwards you wake up in the nursery, with a cool looking scar on your face. Point is, this fight happened, and it's not a dream or hallucination according to the Squall's dead theory.

Look at that. Blood. Lots of it. Blood on the floor, and on Squall's face. Unlike Aeris' death, where Sephiroth's blade is clean, and Aeris herself is clean when Sephs takes out the sword from her, FF8 isn't afraid to show blood. The original FMV is here

‪FF8 Squall Vs. Seifer‬‏ - YouTube

But Youtube links to game videos are fickle, so I decided to put screenshots instead.

The point is, when you get cut in FF8, you bleed, and you get a wound.

Now, the main idea behind this theory is that, from the start of disc 2, Squall is dying. Here's a quote from when you wake up in the prison after the Edea attacked you with the ice shards.

‘(...Where am I? I...challenged Edea... My wound...? No wound...? How...? The Galbadian soldiers... ...We were surrounded. He was there... Seifer, leering down at me.) "Damn you, Seifer!"’
    So, let's see the FMV where Squall gets impaled by those ice spears.

No blood on the spear.
    No blood on the floor.
    No blood on Squall's clothes.

Again, here's the FMV

‪Final Fantasy VIII - Edea Strikes Squall with Ice Magic‬‏ - YouTube

So, the answer to Squall's starting question in disc 2 is:

There are no wounds because there was no blood. There was no blood because those were magic icicles that don't really kill people, just make them unconscious, like all those ice spells you drew from monsters all time.

In one FMV you get a little cut in your forehead, Squall, and you bleed like a mothersmurfer. When you got impaled through your chest? And probably compromised your lungs, heart, or maybe stomach? Nothing. The conclusion is that you weren't really impaled with something palpable. (do note that only one icicle is seen impaling Squall, even when Edea shoot several. The others maybe missed, or maybe went through Squall other organs).

So, no, Squall is not dead from disc 2 forward.

QED

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Well duh. Of course he isn't dead. Nobody thinks the theory is canon. It's just for fun xD

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Squall takes the ice spear hit to the shoulder. He'll probably never swing a gunblade the same way again but with proper medical attention he wouldn't have died.

Besides the theme of FF8 is creepy cross-generational love.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by squoll View Post
    Like other people here, I thought there was no way to actually disprove it, though. However, when looking at the very premise of it, I noticed that the weak point is the actual death of Squall.

Here are two screenshots of the opening of the game, the Squall/Seifer fight. This happens in disc one, and it's not a flashback, dream, or anything. It happens before you are able to control squall, and immediatly afterwards you wake up in the nursery, with a cool looking scar on your face. Point is, this fight happened, and it's not a dream or hallucination according to the Squall's dead theory.
    OK, I just read the whole theory and was reading some responses to it in different places. I read this one and it's making me want to flip tables (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ so I'm just gonna have to reply. WTF dude? Of course that fight happened, it was right in the beginning of the game! Disc 1! The theory states he dies in the END of disc 1, not the beginning! :sweatdrop Please tell me where it says in squallsdead.com where that fight is a hallucination...

Quote Originally Posted by squoll View Post
    There are no wounds because there was no blood. There was no blood because those were magic icicles that don't really kill people, just make them unconscious, like all those ice spells you drew from monsters all time.

In one FMV you get a little cut in your forehead, Squall, and you bleed like a mothersmurfer. When you got impaled through your chest? And probably compromised your lungs, heart, or maybe stomach? Nothing. The conclusion is that you weren't really impaled with something palpable. (do note that only one icicle is seen impaling Squall, even when Edea shoot several. The others maybe missed, or maybe went through Squall other organs).

So, no, Squall is not dead from disc 2 forward.
    Magic icicles that don't really kill people? What she used was not just a simple ice spell but her limit break. If that wasn't intended to kill I don't know what that was because it definitely didn't mean to tickle. I sure wish I could stack on Ice Strike.

Here's her in-game limit break to support my argument:

Final Fantasy 8 Limit Breaks - Ice Strike - YouTube

You make a point where it actually doesn't seem to "hurt" Squall since there was no blood in it. Thing is, the game is over a decade old and adding those "flashy" effects to CGs wasn't as easy as it is today, not sure if it was even possible given the technical limitations too. Also, I'm pretty sure Square wanted to keep the T rating, hehe.

Now for my 2 cents about this whole theory...
    I find it very very amusing. I was reading this at work and my mind was blown so much I could not get work done for the rest of the day. When I played this as a kid back in the late 90s I never really understood disc 3, and I always seemed to take a huge liking to the first 2 discs of the game, mainly disc 1. I played it again a few years ago and while I could make a lot more sense of the game, I still pondered why the freaking hell the plot goes apetit in disc 3. It feels like the scale of "crazyness" keeps adding up until disc 4. I still remember that part where the time gets compressed and things start melting, kinda of feels like a bad trip of sorts haha.

When I read that I was like..."holy tit this guy thinks like me!" but I could never imagine that Squall died in disc 1 and that's why it blew my mind (because it made a lot of sense too). So far I have not yet read a good counter-argument to it, with the exception it might not be what the creators actually intended and that Square is known for the cold hard facts, i.e: a character dies and that's it, we show you them dying. That was already discussed in this thread I believe, and I agree with that. Or that it might just be a really really crappy plot and we need to make cool theories to make it look good . But hey! Who knows right? I never knew the void-faced Squall was there and that was smurfing scary.

PS: Sorry for reviving a relatively old thread...saw the last reply was in august.
    Last edited by Kaliptus; 09-19-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

We're more lenient about reviving old threads for the Final Fantasy related forums. This thread is still fresh