Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Like About Art?

Default What Do You Like About Art?

I've seen some great art here from various people and I enjoy looking at it. But it got me curious, clearly people here put a lot of work into their art and it shows, what is it about art that you guys enjoy? (viewing it and making your own).

I love fantasy art and anime, so for me art is seeing beauty and magic that doesn't exist any where else. The learning curve is exciting aswell, seeing your stick figures become more realistic and thinking about what you can even better next time is great.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Art is one of the most important things in the world. It's what keeps people happy and sane. It allows us to alleviate ourselves from frustration and sadness.

My particular favorite forms of art would be literature, video games, and film.

Quote Originally Posted by Gullick View Post
    I love fantasy art and anime, so for me art is seeing beauty and magic that doesn't exist any where else. The learning curve is exciting aswell, seeing your stick figures become more realistic and thinking about what you can even better next time is great.
    I share the same sentiments! This is what I love a lot as well. As you can tell from my avatar and sig, I love creating anime artwork. I've always been a fan of the style [even though I don't like most anime], but beyond that I think what I enjoy most is creating something I really like as well as constantly testing my skill and pushing it to new limits.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unlike some things, there are no restrictions in art. You're free to do whatever you want creatively so long as you can imagine it. Art comes in many forms though something could also subjectively be art. Art is black and white. Art is color. Art can be beautiful. Art can move. Art can shape. Art IS shape. Art is motion. Art is emotion. Art is style. And most importantly, you can tell a lot about what goes on in a person's subconscious mind by seeing how they express themselves artistically. And that's what I like about art.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    there are no restrictions in art.
    What utopia do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Seriously. The very definition of art is restriction.

I like art that is aesthetically pleasing, technically proficient, and not different or unique for the sake of being different or unique.

In other words, I think a good deal of modern art is trash.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    In other words, I think a good deal of modern art is trash.
    Hm, could you be more specific with "modern art"? This can be a pretty broad category. I'm just curious.

Good Modern Art:

Bad Modern 'Art':

It's a head... with a star spangled ice cream cone...? That, right there, is an example of an artist trying to be different for the sake of being different. And it's smurfing stupid. This is what happens when an artist believes there are no restrictions to his craft.

In the Kandinsky example every shape and every color is the way it is for a reason. If you changed one single aspect of that painting you would destroy it. There is literally an infinite number of ways you could change that sculpture, though, and none of them would make it worse. That is the definition of bad art.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 02-17-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

art - definition of art by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Art | Define Art at Dictionary.com

Art - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

art - Definition of art at YourDictionary.com

I don't think he meant the actual literal definition of art. I'm pretty sure he just meant that restriction is a defining principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    art - definition of art by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Art | Define Art at Dictionary.com

Art - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

art - Definition of art at YourDictionary.com
    I'm not even going to read those definitions. We don't call a five years old's finger paintings art. I know darn well what art is and isn't and it most certainly is not 'do whatever you want'. I beg anyone who thinks otherwise to never, ever take up an artistic endeavor, lest you sculpt a head with a star spangled ice cream cone. It's your mindset that will ensure that the Michelangelos, the Beethovens, and the Shakespeares of today will die in obscurity while idiots like banksy get to do 'whatever they want'. And get rich off of it too.

When an artwork has no depth it should rightly be called out as shallow.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

nik0tine, even your example of "good" modern art is trash in my opinion. I just don't like or understand most modern art.

I kind of art I like best is either beautiful or moving or both.

nik0tine, even your example of "good" modern art is trash in my opinion. I just don't like or understand most modern art.
    Fair enough. This artist does have a history of being not liked, I guess. I do believe the Nazis went as far to burn his work for being 'degenerate' in the second world war. However, I don't think it is disputable that this painting is at least better than that stupid star spangled ice cream cone.

However, isn't Alexander McQueens work a prime example of modern art? I guess you were careful to say 'most' modern art.

I kind of art I like best is either beautiful or moving or both.
    This is really what to look for, imo. I am a little surprised that you don't find the Kandinsky painting to be at least pretty, though.

Fair enough. This artist does have a history of being not liked, I guess. I do believe the Nazis went as far to burn his work for being 'degenerate' in the second world war. However, I don't think it is disputable that this painting is at least better than that stupid star spangled ice cream cone.
    Well, I don't think I'd go far enough to call it "trash", but I do understand what she means. I don't really quite understand most modern art I've seen myself. Sometimes I feel like other people see things in it that I'm just plain not capable of seeing [and it feels a little depressing because I end up feeling shallow somehow because of it]. However, even though I don't understand that painting, I think it's clearly not "ridiculous" or anything. And as you said it's by far towering in superior quality to that silly statue head thing. The only reason why I don't think I connect well with it is because those colours aren't exactly my favourite [yellows/oranges]. Sometimes I feel like I'm shallow because the only art I look to is art of "pretty" things, haha. Things like beautiful photography or paintings of outdoor scenery, beautiful cities, beautiful people and things, etc. I also think this extends to anime art since I think it can be quite mature and serious, but that's just me. This is just my personal taste though. One thing I really enjoy is anything constructed with a nice look and colour palette. I even consider really nice forum skins, or skins/themes for programs to be considered art as well.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Oh my god no no no no no no no NO. The modern period ended years before his career even started leave him alone

edit: Uh, @ nik.