Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Versus XIII Might Not Appear at E3; World Map in Question

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    I always thought a world map of ye olde would look strange with current gen graphics, so im not surprised they are having some difficulty. If they can manage to just change the camera angle/viewpoint as was stated then it may still be good though.
    I find it really ironic game developers are always chirping about how much more they can do with new technology, but it has basically made one of the main staples of RPGs virtually unusable.
    This is just me personally, but I really don't consider 1million:1 ratio world maps a staple of RPGs by any means. I think FFXII did it the best. Though they could definitely make better map DESIGN in that there are more secrets to uncover (kind of like A Link to the Past). Yes, yes, commence hatred for liking FFXII

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    You should have probably plugged FF6 instead, I can sense this thread will begin to deteriorate any second.
    No one is allowed to love FF7 on this forum anymore, Kim Jong Il dictates that all must love FF6 or you are ironically called a raving lunatic fanboy!
    I've probably just started a flame war.

This is just me personally, but I really don't consider 1million:1 ratio world maps a staple of RPGs by any means. I think FFXII did it the best. Though they could definitely make better map DESIGN in that there are more secrets to uncover (kind of like A Link to the Past). Yes, yes, commence hatred for liking FFXII.
    Dissidia rocks. Yes. Indeed, let flames ensue as I am one who likes an FF game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Being able to walk around (and better yet, interact!) with a world map is pretty much the main reason I want to buy this game. That sounds very silly, but I thoroughly enjoy exploring, and that means being able to get to every point of the world. I really, really, really hope that they get the map working. I wouldn't care if it still had FFVII style graphics, it's still better graphics than a fixed drawing being shoved onto the screen. I mean, how can anyone argue that a static map that looks fancy but offers no interaction and massively restricts movement is better than an interactive map where you can go anywhere, delve into tunnels, etc. etc.? Just because it looks nice in a screenshot doesn't mean that it's a better form of movement. You don't even see the movement. Urgh urgh urgh on so many levels!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!