Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFXIII Sub-HD on 360

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I don't care because I'll be playing the XBox version on a tiny 10 year old tv screen with a radial-to-av cord adapter thing.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The hair looks bad because they use cheap dithering transparency instead of real alpha transparency. Upscaling makes that stuff look horrible. Apparently, the reason they used dithering on the transparency is because the PS3 is pretty sux at alpha transparency layers so they did it to save some resources.

Fun thing is that the 360 is supposedly better at doing alpha transparency, so if they had bothered porting it better, they could have replaced the dithered transparency with real transparency, which wouldn't have looked so poor when upscaled.

And the lower res is pretty bad news for people with 1080p displays, cause now it'll first get upscaled from 576 to 720, and then from 720 to 1080 :p.

This lower picture quality is to be expected anyway, it's what "usually" happens to ports vs the lead platforms. I'm pretty sure I'd notice though, cause i thought the dithered transparency looked bad even on PS3 (yes, in motion).
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-19-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

TIME FOR A CONSOLE WARS THREAD PICK YOUR SIDES PEOPLE

Dreamcast 4 lief dawg

360 version looks fine to me. The majority of people who will make a big deal out of this probably don't even own HDTV's so the differences between the two versions are non-existent at that point. I would be much more concerned over a steady frame-rate than pixel clarity.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

OMG fanboy orgy. Just come to terms with this: The 360 can do anything the PS3 can do, but the 360 is a retarded PC.
    xD
    Figaro Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The hair looks bad because they use cheap dithering transparency instead of real alpha transparency. Upscaling makes that stuff look horrible. Apparently, the reason they used dithering on the transparency is because the PS3 is pretty sux at alpha transparency layers so they did it to save some resources.

Fun thing is that the 360 is supposedly better at doing alpha transparency, so if they had bothered porting it better, they could have replaced the dithered transparency with real transparency, which wouldn't have looked so poor when upscaled.

And the lower res is pretty bad news for people with 1080p displays, cause now it'll first get upscaled from 576 to 720, and then from 720 to 1080 .

This lower picture quality is to be expected anyway, it's what "usually" happens to ports vs the lead platforms. I'm pretty sure I'd notice though, cause i thought the dithered transparency looked bad even on PS3 (yes, in motion).
    So pandering to the PS3 made the 360 have a loss in quality! HAAAAAATE

:P

What's the big deal with HD anyway?

FF I - FFXII were sub-HD, does this make them bad?

BTW, the XBox 360 is NOT a PC. The original XBox was, but the XBox 360 is its own custom design that shares some bits (CPU) with the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    What's the big deal with HD anyway?
    Go play a game on SD, then on HD, and you'll see what the big deal is. So XIII isn't 1080p even on the PS3. That's disappointing. But I suppose better than having sub-HD. That is really bizarre.

And even with the pictures blown up, remember they're going to be on a TV where they'll be even larger, probably making the differences more notable. But I've got a PS3, so it's not my concern. More worried about the actual gameplay.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Almost no games are 1080p, so that's not really disappointing at all.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Sucks for Xbox players if they intended on playing it on an HD tv, but I honestly don't think HD would push this game above mediocre. Just my opinion though.
    Currently Playing:
    STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY for PC