Thread: Waking up! Help!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default Waking up! Help!

How do you get yourself motivated when you wake up in the mornings?

This is like the zillionth time I've gone back to sleep after hitting my alarm because I was too sleepy to realize just how bad of an idea missing class is. It's like, "GOD WHY CAN'T I JUST SLEEP THIS SUUUUUCKS okay I can miss some class, it won't be that big of a deal zzzz" I can miss a few more and still make an A in the class where I get hurt for it, but I'd like to avoid that. I found on days that I showered in the morning rather than before bed I was feeling great, but I just can't function if I wake up early enough for that S:

Maybe next semester there will be more options for afternoon classes x.x

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Put ice cubes in your pants, that will definitely wake you up.

Seriously move your alarm out of arms reach. Getting up to turn it off gets you out of bed, and that's the hardest part

Articles
    Blog Entries

I suffer from the same thing sooo bad. Normally I feel horrible in the morning so my motivation for actually getting out of bed is to focus on something that will make me feel better. Usually it's something like brushing my teeth, a drink, or breakfast (if I have time). I usually wouldn't feel as happy as if I just went back to sleep...but once you're out of bed the hard part is over.

I don't motivate myself out of bed until about noon on most days. But all of my classes are at 1:35 anyway so I'm pretty safe.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Put ice cubes in your pants, that will definitely wake you up.

Seriously move your alarm out of arms reach. Getting up to turn it off gets you out of bed, and that's the hardest part
    Yes, I tried that! It's been especially difficult to get out this past month because it's so cold in my room and the covers are so warm. At first it worked very well (when I remembered to put it on my dresser before bed anyway), but after that I just went back to bed because I have a very small dorm room and I can't get very far from it until I'm out the door xD

I find that once I've gotten washed and dressed, I'm ready for the day ahead. But it usually takes me a while to get out of bed.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Showering and dressing nicely motivates me to go to class. That aside, it depends on if I have to, if I'm challenge in class, and if the subject interests me. If I don't have a good reason to go to class, I won't go. I've hardly go to class at all being in England since half of my teachers put all of their lecture notes online and don't teach beyond what is on those notes in class - what's the point of going if they're not going to do anything more than read aloud for me? It makes me feel a bit guilty, but I've still been getting all A's on my work, so I guess there's a method to this.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Generally, Lola will lick my face incessantly, so I wake up pretty quick!

I always reset my alarm for ten more minutes. It's difficult to do on my phone, so it generally ensures I actually do it instead of turning it off.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have to get up at 06:00 during the week for work.

It's more difficult in the winter, when it's still practically dark outside. I turn on my tv for light and sound and sit up for a couple of minutes to wake up, and then I get up and make my way into the shower. Once I'm in the shower I'm practically awake!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Generally, Lola will lick my face incessantly, so I wake up pretty quick!

I always reset my alarm for ten more minutes. It's difficult to do on my phone, so it generally ensures I actually do it instead of turning it off.

Gaw, I want a kitty to wake me up. Of course that can't be very fun when she gets sick. My cat at home (back before my mom made her an outside kitty) would always sleep at the foot of my bed, but for some reason whenever she caught a cold she'd sleep on my little brother and he'd wake up with cat boogers on his face. I love her <3

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Getting out of bed is the most difficult part; once I'm out, I'm generally up for the day. It is very difficult to get out of bed some mornings, though.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"I need to go to lecture"

"I need to go to *insert woman name*".

And my personal favorite:

"It's 1:30 PM."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

When it's super cold like that I put a space heater on beside my bed, so by the time I wake up it's warm in my room.

Other than that I'm also awful at waking up. I hit snooze so many times today... MY BED IS SO COMFY.

Banned
    Blog Entries

When I wake up I feel like my life is the worst thing ever and I want to just sleep until I die, and I lie there for as long as possible. I feel normal when I'm actually up. I guess that probably means I am not good at waking up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Getting out of bed is the most difficult part; once I'm out, I'm generally up for the day. It is very difficult to get out of bed some mornings, though.
    Yeah, basically this.

As far as I know, there's no good way of getting yourself out of bed that doesn't require someone else doing something. But as for staying awake, cold helps. Splash cold water on your face, go outside and feel the cold wind, etc.