Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WTF does your name mean?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"Stuart" was the name of an ancient Syrian serpent god, said to have once impregnated an entire civilization of women simultaneously. He was revered for his fertility and skill - all of the women are recorded as having been more satisfied than by any other sexual encounter in their life.

"Miller" means poopsmith.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Robert - Teutonic, "bright/shining fame"
    David - Hebrew, "beloved one"
    Noble - Scottish, "high born"

So according to my name, I am awesome!

My name is often related to battle prowess or warriors and whatnot. The technical name, I suppose, would be something about the defender of man, although it can mean "to push back" as well. Basically, it means I win wars.

My last name is fairly common and won't be given out, because I don't want you freaks finding me on Facebook. I have enough of you losers as friends and I don't want more. Unless you're a hot girl.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Julian, also spelled Julien, is a common male given name in Britain, United States, Ireland, Germany, Poland, France (as Julien) and elsewhere.

The name literally means, in Latin, "belonging to Julius", hence its use for the Julian calendar introduced by Julius Caesar. Some families have taken it as a female name, possibly due to the influence of the French feminine form, Julienne.

The name Julian means, in English, "Jove's child ", in French and Greek, it means "Youthful" and in Spanish the name Julian means "Youth".

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    My last name is fairly common and won't be given out, because I don't want you freaks finding me on Facebook. I have enough of you losers as friends and I don't want more. Unless you're a hot girl.
    I can be whatever you want me to be.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Beverly Heels is pretty self explanatory, no?

(SPOILER)really my name means irish warrior or something.

Kristian - Follower of Christ. Well duh.

Breinholt - Don't know. Couldn't find any info.

Iversen - Basically means "Son of Iver". So, one of my ancestors was called Iver, from where the name originates.

As for Iver:
    From the Old Norse name Ívarr, which was derived from the elements yr "yew, bow" and arr "warrior". During the Middle Ages it was brought to Britain by Scandinavian settlers and invaders, and it was adopted in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Blog Entries

Breine, your name is so cool. xD
    Well, Stephanie is Greek for crown or queen...
    Frances is Latin for "free" or "from France", but I'm not French...
    And let's just say my last name is German and its meaning is really stupid.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Peter - derived from the Greek name Petros meaning 'stone'

Huang - Means 'yellow', which is perceived in Chinese culture as somewhat of a noble colour.
    Huang: Chinese: from an ancient territory called Huang. Perhaps the most famous and revered of the ancient Chinese emperors is Huang Di (2697–2595 bc), considered father of the Chinese people. He is also known as ‘the Yellow Emperor’, since Huang also means ‘yellow’. Surprisingly, though, Huang Di is not credited with being a direct source of the surname. A descendant of his was granted the fief of the territory of Huang, which later served as the surname for certain descendants of the ruling family.
    Yes, indeed.

I meant to do my Chinese name too, but forgot as I finished my post. First names in Chinese don't really have etymologies because they're just regular words.

Zǐ: 11 p.m.-1 a.m.; 1st earthly branch; child; midnight; son; child; seed; egg; small thing

Yán: flame; inflammation; -itis (as in the suffix for medical conditions)

So my name Huáng Zǐ Yán can literally be interpreted as 'yellow child of flame'

... or 'yellow egg disease' evidentally.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

[ syll. pon-tus, po-nt-us ] The boy name Pontus is pronounced as PaaNTahS †. Pontus is used mostly in the Greek and Scandinavian languages. It is of Old Greek origin. Biblical name derived from the word 'pontos' which means sea. An old form of Pontus is Pontius (Latin). The name was borne in Greek mythology by the pre-Olympian god of the sea, son of Gaia; he was known as Pontus or Pontos. It was also borne in the Bible by the 1st century Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who presided over the trial of Jesus and ordered his crucifixion; Pontius was his family name. The Greek name Pontos is a variant form of the name.
    I don't mind giving out my last name, but I'd rather not do it in public as it's pretty unique and I don't really want Google to associate me with EoFF. It could totally kill any employment chances I might have! ;} PM me if you want to know it, I guess!

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

LOL TOMOTSSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    [ syll. pon-tus, po-nt-us ] The boy name Pontus is pronounced as PaaNTahS †. Pontus is used mostly in the Greek and Scandinavian languages. It is of Old Greek origin. Biblical name derived from the word 'pontos' which means sea. An old form of Pontus is Pontius (Latin). The name was borne in Greek mythology by the pre-Olympian god of the sea, son of Gaia; he was known as Pontus or Pontos. It was also borne in the Bible by the 1st century Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who presided over the trial of Jesus and ordered his crucifixion; Pontius was his family name. The Greek name Pontos is a variant form of the name.
    I don't mind giving out my last name, but I'd rather not do it in public as it's pretty unique and I don't really want Google to associate me with EoFF. It could totally kill any employment chances I might have! ;} PM me if you want to know it, I guess!

Pontus' full name is delicious, ask him what it is.

Uh, let's see. Kyle is "narrow" or something. Rudd has something to do with red or rust, some like that if I remember. This time I'm too lazy to check it out thoroughly. It's pretty boring. At least it's not another "Biblical name meaning..." like half of names in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Robert - Teutonic, "bright/shining fame"
    David - Hebrew, "beloved one"
    Noble - Scottish, "high born"

So according to my name, I am awesome!
    Robert: English, Scottish, and French (also Scandinavian): one of the many French names of Germanic origin that were introduced into Britain by the Normans. This one is composed of the nearly synonymous elements hrod fame + berht bright, famous. It had a native Old English predecessor of similar form (Hreodbeorht), which was supplanted by the Norman name. It was the name of two dukes of Normandy in the 11th century: the father of William the Conqueror (sometimes identified with the legendary Robert the Devil), and his eldest son. It was borne by three kings of Scotland, notably Robert the Bruce (1274–1329), who freed Scotland from English domination. The altered short form Bob is very common, but Hob and Dob, which were common in the Middle Ages and gave rise to surnames, are extinct.

David: Biblical: name of the greatest of the Israelite kings, whose history is recounted in 1 Samuel and elsewhere. As a boy he killed the giant Philistine, Goliath, with his slingshot; as king of Judah, and later of all Israel, he expanded the power of the Israelites and established their security. He was also noted as a poet, with many of the Psalms being attributed to him. He had many sons and, according to the gospels, Jesus was descended from him. The Hebrew derivation of the name is uncertain; it is said by some to represent a nursery word meaning “darling”. In America this is mainly a Jewish name, but it has no such weighting in Britain, where it is particularly common in Wales and Scotland, having been borne by the patron saint of Wales (see Dewi) and by two medieval kings of Scotland. Cognates: Scottish Gaelic: Dŕibhidh. Irish Gaelic: Dáibhídh. Welsh: Dafydd, Dewi. Polish: Dawid. Finnish: Taavi

Noble:
    1. English, Scottish, and Irish (of Norman origin); also French: nickname from Middle English, Old French noble ‘high-born’, ‘distinguished’, ‘illustrious’ (Latin nobilis), denoting someone of lofty birth or character, or perhaps also ironically someone of low station. The surname has been established in Ireland since the 13th century, but was re-introduced in the 17th century and is now found mainly in Ulster.
    2. Jewish (Ashkenazic): Americanized form of Knöbel, a surname derived from an archaic German word for a servant. This was the name of a famous rabbinical family which moved from Wiener Neustadt to Sanok in Galicia in the 17th century; several members subsequently emigrated to the U.S.
    Jewish: Americanized form of Nobel.
    German: probably a Huguenot name (see 1).
    Possibly an altered form of German Knobel or Nobel.

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    Kristian - Follower of Christ. Well duh.

Breinholt - Don't know. Couldn't find any info.

Iversen - Basically means "Son of Iver". So, one of my ancestors was called Iver, from where the name originates.

As for Iver:
    From the Old Norse name Ívarr, which was derived from the elements yr "yew, bow" and arr "warrior". During the Middle Ages it was brought to Britain by Scandinavian settlers and invaders, and it was adopted in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
    Breinholt: German: from a rare Germanic personal name Brin(no), probably composed of elements related to Middle High German brünne ‘armor’ + walt ‘rule’.

Iversen: Danish and Norwegian: patronymic from the personal name Ivar, from Old Norse Ívarr, a compound of either ív ‘yew tree’, ‘bow’ or Ing (the name of a god) + ar ‘warrior’ or ‘spear’.
    North German (Frisian): patronymic from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements iwa ‘yew (tree)’ + hard ‘strong’, ‘firm’.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Pontus' full name is delicious, ask him what it is.

Uh, let's see. Kyle is "narrow" or something. Rudd has something to do with red or rust, some like that if I remember. This time I'm too lazy to check it out thoroughly. It's pretty boring. At least it's not another "Biblical name meaning..." like half of names in existence.
    Kyle: English: transferred use of a Scottish surname, which originated as a local name from the region so called in the former county of Ayrshire. Kyle is a topographic term referring to a narrow strait or channel, from Gaelic caol narrow.

Rudd:
    1. English: nickname for a person with red hair or a ruddy complexion, from Middle English rudde, Old English rud ‘red’, ‘ruddy’.
    2. Americanized shortened form of any of various Jewish surnames beginning with Rud-.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 02-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodarian View Post
    Syed :An honorific title that indicates that my family are decedents from our Prophets family.