View Poll Results: What is your opinion on "Clone Characters"

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate it when Fighting Games do that.

5 26.32%
  • I don't mind it that much.

4 21.05%
  • I don't mind it, if it's explained.

5 26.32%
  • It doesn't matter.

4 21.05%
  • I never really noticed!

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Clone" Characters in fighting games?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I rather enjoyed getting used to the changes in Anna and Nina that occurred between Tekken 3 and Tekken 5 (I didn't play TT or T4).

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I rather enjoyed getting used to the changes in Anna and Nina that occurred between Tekken 3 and Tekken 5 (I didn't play TT or T4).
    Maybe it was because I played Tekken 5 before I played Tekken 4, but to me, T4 seamed almost like the test version of T5...

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Yeah, Falco and Wolf aren't two different from Fox especially Falco.
    So wrong it hurts

How so?
    They play COMPLETELY different. Yes, I can play as any of the 3 effectively, but I prefer playing as Wolf by far over the other two. And I hate playing as Falco, but can use him decently. The way their attacks hit, the direction the enemy flies, the weight of the character, the fall speed, running speed, attack speed, combo attacks... all things that if you play the game enough you can easily notice... make huge differences in their strategy.

As for my opinion on clones... If they are different enough, I am okay with it. I find Mario to be significantly better than Luigi, but Dr. Mario and Mario to be almost identical... though Dr. Mario is slower. Toon Link and Link play differently... but they are the same character storywise. Throwing in another character that played as Toon Link did would have satisfied me. Or even adding in Young Link that has the Deku/Zora/Goron mask would have been awesome.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If they're different enough from each other, I don't really mind it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Can someone explain he was a Law clone? They are not related and Tekken doesn't really mention its storyline in full until Tekken 4 (and more so Tekken 5) - He is semi-part of Hehachi's familly, so if Lee had to be a clone, why not someone of his own familly?
    Prior to the events of the first Tekken game, Lee was shipped off to the U.S. to train with Marshall Law and Paul Phoenix by Heihachi (Lee's db+1+2 unblockable is the same as Paul's, he also shared the 'Shredder' kicks with Paul in TTT and T5 but could only do them out of Mist Step. Good juggle ender though). This is from his Tekkenpedia entry. This is presumably why he does not use any Mishima Fighting Style Karate, even though Heihachi supposedly adopted him to groom him to become a rival to Kazuya. Stranger yet, he's had no side-stories to do with Law and Paul. All his story modes to date have revolved around his rivalry with Kazuya. Maybe he wasn't in the U.S. for that long? (he does speak Japanese in the games, not English, even though he resides in the Bahamas and is of Chinese origin. What a confusing man.)

In any case, I'm glad he's not just another Mishima, because there's enough of them. And he doesn't have the eyebrows or hairstyle for it. xD. It's kinda sad though that he's spent the greater part of his life trying to compete with Kazuya and in the drop of a hat, Lars (SPOILER) (his other step-brother) comes out of nowhere and does a far better job of beating up Mishimas than he ever did.

I think Namco just needed a sub-boss for Law in Tekken 1 and 2 and couldn't be arsed coming up with something original so they did what fighting games did back then and made the penultimate fight for Law in his story mode some guy who fights almost exactly like him. He was awful back then too. Like Law, but less backflipping action, which was about 90% of Law's game back then.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER
    Maybe it was because I played Tekken 5 before I played Tekken 4, but to me, T4 seamed almost like the test version of T5...
    But Lee was so broken in T4, I loved it. =]

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon
    ... but Christie and Eddy, now that's definitely a by and by clone. Those two don't bother me as much though, because I guess one is for masculinity and the other is for sexuality. Still is a little irksome though.
    eehhhhh... yes and no. Same moves, but different body sizes and leg lengths. Some combos and juggles are that may be easy for one to perform are harder for the other. I guess this comment just goes to prove that even when characters are clones, they aren't perceived as such by people who play the game a lot.

Also, the level of human players can often be judged on whether they choose Eddy or Christie. It's not that one is better than the other, but a button-mashing noob's first choice is often Christie. Yay for sexually provocative characters with 'bouncy' moves.
    Last edited by Mo-Nercy; 02-28-2010 at 01:29 PM.

I don't mind them. I can understand why aesthetically it would be blargh, but i don't mind them. Ryu and Ken usually are vastly different and i will be honest that i play Ryu much better than Ken in most games because of the slight changes. To say 'clones' are the same usually means you don't know the game.

This is the same for Iron Man vs Warmachine(beams vs rockets...if you know the game beam style attacks are MUCH superior), Fox vs Wolf and etc. They may look the same in the first glance but at higher level play they may place so far away from one another statistically.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon
    ... but Christie and Eddy, now that's definitely a by and by clone. Those two don't bother me as much though, because I guess one is for masculinity and the other is for sexuality. Still is a little irksome though.
    eehhhhh... yes and no. Same moves, but different body sizes and leg lengths. Some combos and juggles are that may be easy for one to perform are harder for the other. I guess this comment just goes to prove that even when characters are clones, they aren't perceived as such by people who play the game a lot.

Also, the level of human players can often be judged on whether they choose Eddy or Christie. It's not that one is better than the other, but a button-mashing noob's first choice is often Christie. Yay for sexually provocative characters with 'bouncy' moves.[/QUOTE]
    What do you mean by that i play the game a lot been playing since the first Tekken and last year I won a T6 tourney. I haven't any combos that don't connect with Eddy versus Christie.

They play COMPLETELY different. Yes, I can play as any of the 3 effectively, but I prefer playing as Wolf by far over the other two. And I hate playing as Falco, but can use him decently. The way their attacks hit, the direction the enemy flies, the weight of the character, the fall speed, running speed, attack speed, combo attacks... all things that if you play the game enough you can easily notice... make huge differences in their strategy.
    I don't see any weight difference. Falco's just slightly slower.

Doctor Mario was removed from Brawl for a reason.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Banned

I hated how in Soul Calibur IV's character creation mode all you could do was make clones of other characters.

I don't like the concept of clone characters. It seems incredibly lazy and like an excuse to announce your game as having more characters to play with than it actually has.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Yeah, Falco and Wolf aren't two different from Fox especially Falco.
    So wrong it hurts

How so?
    I've played smash with some of the best in my region (though I'm definitely not as good as them b/c I don't take that game seriously) and I'm just not touching this with a 10238421038 ft pole.

Christie and Eddie are the only true 'clones' imo in the current gen of fighting games. Others may be very similar like Ryu and Ken but they have several differences that distinguish them (move priorities, some mechanics, dmg on moves, supers, etc etc), but the only difference between Christie and Eddie (other than appearance) is their basic throw animations. This doesn't bother me b/c at their stories are tied pretty closed to each other when learning how to fight, and at least their current stories aren't replicas of one another.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    I hated how in Soul Calibur IV's character creation mode all you could do was make clones of other characters.
    Actually the move setlist for any of the possible character setups you used in the character creation was somewhat different from the main character who used that weapon type for example: Greatswords (nightmare/siegfried) some of the hits you'd use in general attacks were not present in either of the two characters using the weapons normally it was generally some inclusions of moves used by Cervantes to construct something different.

Generally speaking the only direct clone I remember fighting exactly the same as someone else was Kasumi having an actual clone to attack her in Dead or Alive 2. However Ein once he remembered he is Hayate, he and Hayabusa had a similar moveset as well.

Clones don't annoy me half as much as someone who knowingly picks the exact same person as you. I always even in Soul Calibur made sure if someone picked Seong Mi-na (the character was my personal favourite) I would go and pick Killik or someone else just because I can't stand having 2 people use the exact same character as the other in a beat 'em up game. I'm actually the same in games like Pokemon, I try to use different parties to the commonly used ones in pvp so I can get around the whole facing off the same people. The one exception there was Mewtwo, he was so powerful it made little sense not to use him if you had the option.

Blog Entries

I like clone characters every now and then, because having them can give opposing players the chance to use the same fighting style should they both be proficient with it!

I do dislike how clone characters are justified in story modes of games; just admit they are extraneous fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Genius Lynx View Post
    I like clone characters every now and then, because having them can give opposing players the chance to use the same fighting style should they both be proficient with it!

I do dislike how clone characters are justified in story modes of games; just admit they are extraneous fun!
    That's what alternate costumes are for.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

They are usually different enough for me. Ganondorf and Captain Falcon from Super Smash Bros. Melee have more or less identical Specials but I vastly prefer Ganondorf due to his weight, normal moves, and speed. Same with Fox, Falco, and Wolf in Brawl. There is a surprisingly big difference between these three if you with them enough, especially in the Smash attacks. Ken and Ryu were mentioned earlier also, and while initially the same they have changed enough in my opinion. Again, their Special moves are more or less the same (I prefer Ken's Tatsumaki Senpukyaku and Shoryuken), but their regular moves and the combos they can get from them change how even a scrub like me handles them.

I guess I feel people just look at the Special moves and if they are the same they assume the clones play the same, when that's usually not the case.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Blog Entries

What do you mean by that i play the game a lot been playing since the first Tekken and last year I won a T6 tourney. I haven't any combos that don't connect with Eddy versus Christie.
    I didn't say some would connect whilst others didn't, I said some are harder to pull off than others. But every juggle Eddy can do, Christie can too.

It's pretty common knowledge that Eddy has longer limbs than Christie, I'm surprised you didn't know because you seem pretty good. But I suppose it's probably because you can actually use Eddy and Christie (I'm not so good with them xD) so the timing is less of an issue for you since you've done 'em a million times.

Kyros' post has also reminded me that Eddy has different grab animations. By my reckoning, they put him in a better position for oki than Christie's do.