Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So I'm Finally Gonna Play XII

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    If you are looking for new uncharted lands, I'd go to Balfoheim since its a bit of a detour on your way to Archades but you can get access to some really good gear there. You could also sneak into the Necrohol of Nabudis at this point and get some levels. You'll need to go here if you want to get Chaos later.
    So both of those are on the way to Archades?

Once again, I'd recommend taking down the Espers. Adrammelech is probably useless now but Zeromus and Exodus will definetly be helpful to you at this point. Cuchulain and Zalera are also pretty nifty and have decent usability times at this point in the game as well.
    I dunno...are they really worth it? I haven't even used the Espers I have. I'm not sure how the Summon system iN 12 works, anyway. So I'm kinda hesitant.

Have you tried traveling on one of the commercial airships yet?
    Yes. I accidentally started some sidequest about a ring or marrying someone and I have no idea how to finish it.

Have you visited the tribe in the Giza Plains?
    Don't think so.

How about Nabradia?
    The name sounds familiar... Where is it?

There are tons of little fun side-quests that should be available at this time as well.
    I'm mainly just doing the Hunts. I just want Equipment and Gil. And I guess the LP and EXP that comes with going to get those things.
    Also loot that will help me get newer and better equipment from the Bazaar.

Ya know I've been looking at guides but it's so annoying. There are so many sidequests to do and no one just is nice and puts REWARD at the top of them so i can know if I want to bother with them or not.

Oh while we're on the subject, are the Faith and Bravery spells worth it? Do they giv ea nice big boost in magic and strength? If not, I won't bother buying them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post

So both of those are on the way to Archades?
    Not really... The Necrohol is north of Rabanastre, and its the place where the game started when you were Reks. Balfoheim is on southern end of Valendia continent and is far south of Archades. Basically on your way to Archades, you'll reach a crossroads that will either take you north to Archades or south towards Balfoheim. You'll reach Balfoheim eventually but I was suggesting dropping by early, especially since the trek down there will earn you tons of gil and Exp.

I dunno...are they really worth it? I haven't even used the Espers I have. I'm not sure how the Summon system iN 12 works, anyway. So I'm kinda hesitant.
    They are similar to the way FFX does is, where the summon replaces your party except the Summoner. The major difference is that Summons tend to be glass cannons, they do fairly high damage but are really bad for crowd control until they activate their special summon attacks. Basically, you will need to treat them as regualr party members and heal and buff them to keep them alive while they do big damage. Also, they work like guest characters so you can't directly control them as well as they have a timer on them, they stay around until you dismiss them, get killed, have the summoner killed, or have them perform their cinematic attack.

Most people find them useless in comparison to Quickenings but I find them fun and powerful when used correctly, also the top tier summons, Chaos, Ultima, and Zodiark are incredibly powerful and actually do have real nasty crowd control abilites. The only thing that might be a nuisance is that several of them require special conditions to activate their Cinematic attacks. Ultima alone has the games most difficult and its hardly worth it in my opinion. Zodiark on the other hand has the easiest and the most powerful (about as powerful as a high level Quickening Chain). You can literally set your self up to summon him and have him go directly into his Cinematic attack when he appears.

Really, I would say play around with them, they are great for getting levels for a solo character before you acquire the Firefly accessory. You might like them, you might go with the rest of people and hate them.

Yes. I accidentally started some sidequest about a ring or marrying someone and I have no idea how to finish it.
    You basically have to go onto every flight available in the game and talk to the sisters who have the whole Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny thing going on. They are always in the same place on the airship. I think their are seven of them in total. Also, be on the lookout for a rich family, you usually see them in the terminal area after the airship reaches port, the kid keeps mentioning seeing a strange creature in the sky. Keep talking to them and you will eventually unlock another Mark Hunt.

Have you visited the tribe in the Giza Plains?
    Don't think so.
    Go during the Dry season and talk to the little girl Terra who is taking care of the Cockatrices. If she starts mentioning a feather that lets you talk to the Cockatrices then you are about to start one of the most amusing side-quests in the game and it will net you some excellent gear if you finish it quickly. You might want to start this one after visiting Archades though (actually, I think it unlocks after you go to Archades).

How about Nabradia?
    The name sounds familiar... Where is it?
    Its also north of Rabanastre and is the fortress you see get overtaken in the beginning cutscenes of the game, its the place Prince Rassler was killed. The easiest way to get their is to take the airship from Rabanastre. It has a few really amusing side-quests and stories there, as well as a popular pair of famous Star Wars references.

I'm mainly just doing the Hunts. I just want Equipment and Gil. And I guess the LP and EXP that comes with going to get those things.
    Also loot that will help me get newer and better equipment from the Bazaar.
    Then I would advise doing the side-quests cause most net you rare accessories or good equipment with a bit of gil. Have you been making sure to report back to Montblanc? He gives you rewards and gil for performing special tasks in the game aside from the Mark Hunts and Clan Hunts.

Oh while we're on the subject, are the Faith and Bravery spells worth it? Do they give a nice big boost in magic and strength? If not, I won't bother buying them.
    They are good but I don't feel they are worthy of being set-up as a Gambit for continual buff. I'd ignore them for now cause you'll need them more for the final Marks and optional bosses. Berserk is a spell you may want to invest in though, especially now that you have access to good Greatswords and Katanas. They raise a characters attack power and speed.

Coincidentally, I just talked to Montblanc last night and discovered he gave me a ton of crap. So that was cool. Plus he has his own set of Marks and I'm doing them right now.

After that I'll go do the Cactuar Family quest so i can get the Wyrmfire Shot.
    And then I'll head out to the Necrohol.

After all this, I'll go to Nalbina and begin on my way to Archades though I'll make sure to go to Balfohlem first.

I hope there is a place to buy a map for that area so I don't go the wrong way.

Oh and WK, I don't think I'm supposed to go the Necrohol just yet... Even at Level 39 with the best Armor I can buy, my party was helpless before the first 3 enemies.

Also the Bomg King sure was annoying. I beat him on my first try but he nearly killed my party several times.

EDIT:
    Damn I love the Phon Coast! Even regular enemies almost always drop stuff worth about 800 Gil a piece. That enabled me to suit up my party most comfortably with the best new weapons and armor. I kept Vaan with a Dagger as always, Ashe with the new Katana and after dabbling around with the gun, I decided I like Penelo best with Hammers.

Wandering around to make some extra Gil and EXP on my way to Archades, i stumbled across the Sochen Cave Palace. Of course by the time I fought the level 38 boss, my party was level 44, had all its Augments and all 3 Quickenings. Poor bastard died in maybe five minutes of just physical attacks.

This was a much needed confidence booster after my utter decimation at the Necrohol. Plus I can only imagine how much Gil I'll get for the crapload of loot I've accumulated. I'm already at 59,000 and I'd be lying if I didn't think I had another 20,000-30,000 at least already.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 03-16-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Default Congratulations....

there is an entite at the deadlands as well.

There's the Nabreus Deadlands where most of the paths are hidden and you can follow the paths to the Nechrol of Nabudis.
    The Nechrol is a good place to pick up items for the bazaar but as you found out probably too tough for you at this point.

If I recall correctly you can take on some additional hunts from the hunt club there on the Phon Coast.

I liked Split Infinity's faq although he and I didn't see eye to eye about FFXII.

Good luck.

Phew. What a night. I needed to get to the Barheim Passage to fight a mark (Bloodwing) so i had to do that sidequest to get the Key. But after that, I learn that there's a way to get a Deathbringer! So I definitely go that. And it only took about 11 tries to get the damn mimic thing to appear.

After that I ventured forth to fight Bloodwing. Thing was only a threat because he spawns right in the middle of area that pops up full of Dead Bones and Spectres. So I died a couple times from simply being overwhelmed. I got him in the end, though. And what should I find after the room with the save crystal? The ugliest summon I've ever seen! Beat him...er...it on my first try. Took a lot of Phoenix Downs but just keep spamming Curaga and it's no threat.

I love undead though so I might just use Zalera to see what it can do.

Oh and I beat the Trickster too.

And afte rall that adventuring I got 133,000 Gil or some ammount close to that. Bought a Diamond Sword for Penelo from the Bazaar because the Hammer's uncertain damage is annoying.

Oh and my main party is now Level 46.

So one heck of a night. Tomorrow I'll probably do some more Marks then set off for Archadia again.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 03-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Default Cuch, another mark/esper

is in the waterway as well..
    You didn't mention fighting him.
    It took me about 12 tries to beat him.He has a sap ability that sucks up the hp from your party.

There's also a mark in the mosphoran highwaste, so you might want to check him out.But you will need a guide to find him as you have to activate those silly fountains in a certain order.

Have fun.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cuchulain was a complete bastard, and I have no idea how but I managed to beat her on my first try. I...oh, it was a miracle.

Also, kudos on getting Deathbringer. Though I hate you a little. I didn't get because I simply got bored of trying. So many attempts and didn't get even one.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Phew. What a night. I needed to get to the Barheim Passage to fight a mark (Bloodwing) so i had to do that sidequest to get the Key. But after that, I learn that there's a way to get a Deathbringer! So I definitely go that. And it only took about 11 tries to get the damn mimic thing to appear.

After that I ventured forth to fight Bloodwing. Thing was only a threat because he spawns right in the middle of area that pops up full of Dead Bones and Spectres. So I died a couple times from simply being overwhelmed. I got him in the end, though. And what should I find after the room with the save crystal? The ugliest summon I've ever seen! Beat him...er...it on my first try. Took a lot of Phoenix Downs but just keep spamming Curaga and it's no threat.

I love undead though so I might just use Zalera to see what it can do.

Oh and I beat the Trickster too.

And afte rall that adventuring I got 133,000 Gil or some ammount close to that. Bought a Diamond Sword for Penelo from the Bazaar because the Hammer's uncertain damage is annoying.

Oh and my main party is now Level 46.

So one heck of a night. Tomorrow I'll probably do some more Marks then set off for Archadia again.

Reflect on your party and spamming Curaja on the undead + Firaga on bloodwing would have simplified that a bit.

You're doing well at knocking down those marks, be sure to head to the market in rabanastre and visit the muthru bazaar. Some nice things become available to buy when your clan rank gets high enough. Specifically look for the nihopalaoa. Costs a stack of gil if i remember but it's well worth the investment. It can really mess up some marks and bosses in seconds if you have some remedies to spare
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

I didn't have Curaja at the moment. It becomes avilable when you get to Balfonheim.
    And yeah, I know aout the Clan Provisioner who gives you new items with each rank. i got a Bubble Belt off him that wa spretty handy.

Anyway, more recent comments on things that have happened:

And holy crap, it's Phil LaMarr! What is it with him and playing characters who leave corposes lying ominously around?

Fight with Cid was pretty easy, though.

God I love the Feywood. They weren't kidding at how easy it is to get a chain with the Mirrorknights. I got 150,000 Gil just fromt heir items in maybe 20 minutes.

After that though..Giruvegan was beautiful. Best looking dungeon by far. Well of the ones I've seen.
    And hey, I got a new Esper. WHoo.

The Occuria, including the one on Cid's side, all seem like douches. On the other hand, humans are douches too. No one is gonna win a douche-off.

Party is level 50 and my guide tells me all the crappy old merchants now sell great new accessories. So off I am to Old Archades to get the one that halves MP Cost. invaluable.

Then I gotta go to some Lighthouse.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 03-19-2010 at 02:22 AM.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

I didn't have Curaja at the moment. It becomes avilable when you get to Balfonheim.
    And yeah, I know aout the Clan Provisioner who gives you new items with each rank. i got a Bubble Belt off him that wa spretty handy.

Anyway, more recent comments on things that have happened:

And holy crap, it's Phil LaMarr! What is it with him and playing characters who leave corposes lying ominously around?

Fight with Cid was pretty easy, though.

God I love the Feywood. They weren't kidding at how easy it is to get a chain with the Mirrorknights. I got 150,000 Gil just fromt heir items in maybe 20 minutes.

After that though..Giruvegan was beautiful. Best looking dungeon by far. Well of the ones I've seen.
    And hey, I got a new Esper. WHoo.

The Occuria, including the one on Cid's side, all seem like douches. On the other hand, humans are douches too. No one is gonna win a douche-off.

Party is level 50 and my guide tells me all the crappy old merchants now sell great new accessories. So off I am to Old Archades to get the one that halves MP Cost. invaluable.

Then I gotta go to some Lighthouse.
    The next dungeon is loooooong lol you've got your guide which will help a bit here, so don't make things difficult for yourself by sealing your magic, instead when you have to give up something, choose your minimap since you can still refer to your main map. Few bosses in there too but sounds like nothing that will give you any problems. I don't think many people liked the pharos, probabley due to its length, but personally i quite liked it
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved the Pharos personally... though the basement levels are not exactly fun but at least they are optional. If you are level 50ish, you are pretty much at the point the rest of the storyline dungeons and boss fights won't be an issue. You'll simply need levels now for the higher tier Mark Hunts. My personal favorite is still Man of Mystery... Best optional boss battle ever... at least for an FF.

Now that you have passed Giruvegan, you should go back and fight Ultima. Easily the hardest of the Esper battles (well Zodiark as well but he's a cheating bastard) not to mention going after Chaos in Nabudis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Gouken View Post
    tHe next dungeon is loooooong lol you've got your guide which will help a bit here, so don't make things difficult for yourself by sealing your magic, instead when you have to give up something, choose your minimap since you can still refer to your main map.
    Definitely. I never even use the minimap in most of the dungeons.

If you are level 50ish, you are pretty much at the point the rest of the storyline dungeons and boss fights won't be an issue.
    When I informed a friend I was playing FF12, he told me an anicdote of how a buddy of his fought the final boss (spoilers ZOMG it's Vayne!!!! ...okay not surprising) and turned on Gambits. he then went to make a sandwich and by the time he came back, his party had beat him.
    Now that you have passed Giruvegan, you should go back and fight Ultima. Easily the hardest of the Esper battles (well Zodiark as well but he's a cheating bastard) not to mention going after Chaos in Nabudis.
    Hm. I might try it. Still, I don't want to just breeze through the rest of the game. That be no fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You would need to be a lot higher than the level 50's to beat the final boss with just Gambits. He's actually a bit tricky cause he likes to hide behind physical/magical palings and spam his ultimate attacks. high 60's I could imagine if you have most of the end-game gear.

I'm tempted to try it actually but I'm currently working on taking down Omega Mark XII who wouldn't be so much of a pain if the path to get to him wasn't littered with high level undead, not to mention the damn Phon Coast Trophy Hunt quest has bit me in the ass again and these Zombie hordes keep having a high level Rare Game Spirit spawn with them. He loves spamming death and the zombies love hitting me with cloister breath...

I may need to level a bit more to take on Omega as well as abuse the Cat Ear Hoods.

Well I presume I'll be higher than level 50 by the time I get to the final boss. Not sure how much or the game is left at this point (I want to keep it that way) so maybe I'll have time enough to level up to 60 and beyond before I get there.

i'm on the Second Ascent of the Pharos place right now. Decided to save and eat some pizza before continuing.

I got a gun for Penelo again. I thought about using it for Vaan (the character I always control myself) but it just isn't cool enough for me to bother with. The gun weapon be a lot more appealing if it didn't make that sissy "pft" noise when you fired it. I mean with a land of airships that fly like futuristic speeders and the like is it too much to ask for a badass gun that fires like a cannon or whatever?

Default not much...

you'll know when something happens..no spoilers..lol.
    I know from reading faqs.Never got to the end as I quit playing.

You will have to decide if you intend to go back and finish other marks/ quests .I think there will be a point of no return.