Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mary Poppins Remake

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    I'm always down for a remake. I don't get people who have hissy's over remakes or updates or what have you; the original isn't gonna disappear.
    I don't think it's hissy fits (well from some people anyway), it's more just bewilderment as to why with a lot of remakes. Especially considering most are almost instantly forgotten.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't comment on the ratio of those bewildered to those throwing a hissy to begin with.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sounds like it could be cool.

Still need to see the Alice in Wonderland remake.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wonder if they'll still be umbrellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    GOD YES!

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Didn'tit already get remade? I'm sure I remember someone being interviewed about making a "dark" version of it...
    The closest thing come to a "remake" of Poppins was McPhee...

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    What's next, a Back to the Future remake?
    Futurama remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Still need to see the Alice in Wonderland remake.
    Considering I know just a little about the original Alice in Wonderland story (the book and poetry), I thought the movie rocked.

BTW, Depp dropped hints he'd be interested in portraying Riddler in Batman... if they do have the Riddler, how'd you feel about CRISPIN GLOVER instead. I find him to be a fine actor who can pull some convincing action scenes as well.

i dont see a point in remaking this, it would be very hard to make it as good as the original imo, i liked this movie when i was little and so did my cousins when they where little also so i dont think it needs to be done but that's just me.

The new Poppins will have no music and will feature CG by Pixar in 3D.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Like ShlupQuack said, it's not like the original is going to vanish from existence. It's okay for there to be multiple adaption of a book.

What's that, I hear you saying, a book? Mary Poppins was a book?

Yes. Most of Disney's stuff is just adapted from a book or folklore.

So maybe the aim of this "remake" is to adhere more closely to the book.

No one called Disney's versions of the two Narnia movies remakes of the BBC miniseries adaptations. Nor the MGM Wizard of Oz a "remake" of the 1921 silent film version. Etc.

Likewise, when there was rumor of The Neverending Story by Michael Ende getting a new film adaptation, I was all for it. I wanted to see all the stuff they left out of the book. And if I didn't like it as much as the 1984 film, I never had to watch the new version again and could still watch the 1984 version as much as I wanted.

EDIT:
    ALSO, I would LOVE for someone with enough courage to take on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum in a more faithful adaptation of the book. There was an anime version in the 80s that was decent, but I'd like to see what a nice dark live action version today would be like.

i saw the trailer for diary of a wimpy kid.... made me want to kill

but this poppins should be or at least better than most of the crap there is out lately
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    ALSO, I would LOVE for someone with enough courage to take on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum in a more faithful adaptation of the book. There was an anime version in the 80s that was decent, but I'd like to see what a nice dark live action version today would be like.
    I'd like to see a DVD for Wicked since I don't care to ever go see a live play. Iam pertickler thet weghy.

I also started writing my own sequel to Oz about a kid named Dart who dreams of action and adventure. Obviously there's meant to be a lot more dramatic fighting and violence than in the original. I wrote this before I found out there was a manga "sequel" and before Tin Man was released. Unfortunately, I find both the manga and the miniseries to be far superior to my take and have been greatly discouraged.

This is only rumours at the moment anyway, and I'm not sure it'd ever happen. Similar to Wizard of Oz (touching on what Bastian would ideally like to happen), Mary Poppins is a film classic, so doing another version and not being overshadowed by its predecessor would be a tall order. I doubt there'd be many takers. Very few 'classics' get the remake treatment (I'm thinking of Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake in the late 90s, which is all but forgotten now).

Blog Entries

At least now Dick Van Dyke won't need as much make-up to be the banker.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I hope he also does the voice for Bert again. Have them dub it, I don't care. His cockney accent was gold.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is bull. What the smurf? Smurf this . Smurf.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I hope he also does the voice for Bert again. Have them dub it, I don't care. His cockney accent was gold.
    They could get Don Cheadle after his hilarious Cockney impression in the Oceans films.