Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Voice Acting thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Damnit, Vanille, does everything have to be an orgasm with you? I feel shady whenever I'm in a battle and she starts moaning like a dirty whore.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Listen to the others and what noises they make when they jump - I'm sure one of the guys makes a pretty orgasm-ish grunt for a guy. I imagine that any of them orgasming will sound exactly like whatever noise they make while jumping. Yes, even if it's something like "hup!".
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As usual, BoB takes things too literal and too far. I agree with Psychotic.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    So, apparently Australia is codeword for (SPOILER)Pulse
    Does that mean we get to (SPOILER)Purge the Aussies?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Super impressed with most of the voice acting, except Vanille.

Her voice is annoying to the point where I cringe when I listen to her speak. You know how when a guy tries to do a girl's voice, they can't get the higher pitch right and so it just sounds awful? That's kinda how Vanille's voice comes across. The original voice of the actress is obviously a more natural regular pitched voice, and she's forcing this sugary sweet high voice and it comes off like nails on a chalkboard.

It's weird because when Vanille is doing any of the voiceovers, the voice is much more moderate and normal sounding and then it's actually quite nice. But then whenever she's in dialogue with another character or when she's making those weird squawks and moans, it's insanely high pitched and unbearable. JUST SHUT UP.

I wish there was an option to switch certain characters from voice over to text.

Also, the minute I heard Vanille's voice for the first time I thought it sounded Australian, but the accent definitely comes and goes. Like someone else said, it's inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Like someone else said, it's inconsistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCaloriePie
    I've actually been talking to my acquaintance from Australia about Vanille's voice and he said it was very consistent with the Southeast Australian accent.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not inconsistent because it's not Australian. Australia is from our planet, which she is not. T_T

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by LowCaloriePie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Like someone else said, it's inconsistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCaloriePie
    I've actually been talking to my acquaintance from Australia about Vanille's voice and he said it was very consistent with the Southeast Australian accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    but the accent definitely comes and goes
    You missed my point there, buddy.

When the accent is there, yes it sounds Australian. But the accent is not always there. Sometimes it's stronger, sometimes it's weaker.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well what the heck do you know about accents anyways, you photographer! That's right, photographer, not linguist! You know nothing! NOTHING!

(SPOILER)I really don't know why I'm so defensive about this, but it makes me feel good inside.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You must feel good a lot then.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't get all prissy just because your photographer girlfriend doesn't know anything about linguistics like I totally do.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

She got her FF accent wrong, then. It's totally different to (SPOILER)Fang's, who is from the same location, apparently.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I've been really impressed with the voice acting for this game. There's not one voice I haven't taken to, yes, even Vanille. Comparing it to FFX, which was pretty ahead of it's time, the difference is staggering. There's so much feeling and thought put into the dialogue, and I love love the fact that they talk more often in battle.

Lightning's voice is just perfect for her, stoic and calm, but with the edge to it that shows her soldier side. I like how in battle when she gets hit, she actually sounds a lot more feminine, as if that's when she lets down her tough façade a little in the heat of the moment. I also like the 'tch' sound she makes from time to time, especially in the presence of Snow.

Snow's voice is.. good. It's not outstanding for me, nor is it bad, then again up until now I haven't seen a lot of the guy. It fits him pretty well, and the emotion gets put across pretty well from the cheesy hero lines, to the more sentimental ones. I'll be able to make more of an opinion when I play him more I guess.

Sazh, I love Sazh and I love his voice. Another very fitting one, the way he drawls his more sarcastic lines, then can sound absolutely heartbroken when he talks about his (SPOILER)son. He has some great lines in battle, especially with Vanille.

I like Vanille's voice, though I admit it does stray from the accent time to time. I put it down to the fact that she's (SPOILER)lived a damn long time and so she has a combination of the two going on. At least, that's my explanation for it I think she sounds sweet and wonderfully perky for her role, but her more serious tone is nice too.

Hope sounds a little too old for his age, but we can blame that on the hormones. He's another great one in battle when he gets hit and makes those desperate high pitched sounds when he's being laid into. He's whiny at times, but that's just him being a realistic kid, and it's refreshing to not have a gung ho six year old racing into battle without batting an eyelid like previous FF's.

Fang I also haven't heard enough of yet, but I like what I hear. She sounds confident, full of herself, and her accent is just gorgeous.. and doesn't waiver in the slightest.

As an additional point, I can't stand Serah, but I love her voice actress. Laura Bailey always has a habit of picking the lamest characters to voice.

Exiled Idiot of Doom? Blackmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    She got her FF accent wrong, then. It's totally different to (SPOILER)Fang's, who is from the same location, apparently.
    Thank you.
    Kuja Highwind/Blackmage: Some guy that used to be active back around 2001... He almost made his way through Proto's Custom Title Tournament way back in the day...but almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Oh well.

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Arrow

I approve of all the voices. I think that Vanille's is... interesting xD Like others have said, I get hints of Aussie/NZ/British/American all in one with her voice. It's like she's all mixed up! However, 80% of the time she sounds like an Aussie.