Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: The Voice Acting thread

So am I the only Australian to comment in this thread? I guess I can provide some perspective on Vanille and Fang's accent.

I've got to say, I was shocked when I first heard Vanille. I looked at my friend who was playing and went "What?! She's Australian!" It is very, very strange hearing Australian accents next to American ones - it makes me realise how strange my own accent is to other people. Throughout the whole game Vanille's accent sounds normal to me, so I don't understand what people are talking about when they say she slips between British/American... the only thing that sounds weird is the way she inflects some things and the unnatural high pitched voice, but otherwise she sounds like a regular Australian girl.

Fang, ah Fang. Well, Fang sounds like a bogan. Especially in battle when she yells "Appreciate it!" I laughed at that. A bogan, for those who don't know, is the Australian equivalent of white trash, and its a very particular accent that screams uneducated, lower class, etc... so its really jarring for an Australian to hear Fang talking like that.

Listen to this clip: YouTube - Australia's Got Talent 2009 - Kath and Kim

Not sure about the rest of you, but I can hear the difference between the presenter's accent (normal Australian) and the Kath & Kim impersonators (the two weirdly dressed women - bogan Australian).

Anyway, I've gotten used to it and I think it suits Fang. She's kind of rough and tumble, a bit derelict, and the accent suits that... even though its not really a compliment, but whatever.

As for all the other voices, I love them. Lightning is as someone else said perfectly stoic and calm, but compassionate at the same time, a really well done voice. I love Hope's voice - it's cute, and young, and mature at the same time. His actor brings out Hope's insecurity but allows him to grow up at the same time. Sazh and Snow, yes, excellent. Very happy with the VA work in this game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone Stephanie View Post
    So am I the only Australian to comment in this thread? I guess I can provide some perspective on Vanille and Fang's accent.

I've got to say, I was shocked when I first heard Vanille. I looked at my friend who was playing and went "What?! She's Australian!" It is very, very strange hearing Australian accents next to American ones - it makes me realise how strange my own accent is to other people. Throughout the whole game Vanille's accent sounds normal to me, so I don't understand what people are talking about when they say she slips between British/American... the only thing that sounds weird is the way she inflects some things and the unnatural high pitched voice, but otherwise she sounds like a regular Australian girl.

Fang, ah Fang. Well, Fang sounds like a bogan. Especially in battle when she yells "Appreciate it!" I laughed at that. A bogan, for those who don't know, is the Australian equivalent of white trash, and its a very particular accent that screams uneducated, lower class, etc... so its really jarring for an Australian to hear Fang talking like that.
    I'm Australian (quite a few of EoFFers are actually) and I'm 100% with you on Fang. I half expected her summon to transform into a Torana. But I think Vanille isn't speaking strictly in an Australian accent. I have noticed the odd word being pronounced in what I'd consider a British way. Having said that, she certainly isn't speaking like Balthier either.

But maybe I'm reading too much into it because I'm Australian.

edit: In your bringing up of Australia's Got Talent, I'm reminded of Dannii Minogue. That's Exhibit A right there of an Australian accent that's been influenced by British.
    Last edited by Mo-Nercy; 05-07-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    I'm Australian (quite a few of EoFFers are actually) and I'm 100% with you on Fang. I half expected her summon to transform into a Torana. But I think Vanille isn't speaking strictly in an Australian accent. I have noticed the odd word being pronounced in what I'd consider a British way. Having said that, she certainly isn't speaking like Balthier either.

But maybe I'm reading too much into it because I'm Australian.

edit: In your bringing up of Australia's Got Talent, I'm reminded of Dannii Minogue. That's Exhibit A right there of an Australian accent that's been influenced by British.
    Mm... Balthier. <3

I haven't noticed her slip ups, but then her VA has been in the US for a few years so her accent is likely muddled by now! Do Australian accents sound more British when enunciated properly? Growing up I used to get told I sound "posh" or British a lot, but its just because I enunciate clearly... maybe Vanille's VA is doing something like that.

Anyway, its really weird listening to Vanille and Fang speaking next to the other characters. Everytime they talk I have this moment of ????! cause I'm so used to Final Fantasy sounding American or British, to hear our own accent next to an American one is just... like when you hear your voice recorded for the first time, but over and over again. You think I'd be used to it by now at 11 chapters in, but nope haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone Stephanie View Post
    Ever since I read that I cannot stop thinking about it when I hear her voice.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "