Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: (Chapters 3 & 4 thread) Paradigms? Crystariums?! What the hell is all this.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFXI's Odin requires 18 people to beat.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

DOES NOT COUNT.

seriously odins a bitch!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah he took me a few tries. Like I knew what to do pretty quickly but pulling it off took some practice. Damn him! *shakes fist*

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm probably in the middle of chapter 4 right now. So far, I'm liking the Paradigm system as it really does feel like a streamlined version of FFX-2's Dressphere system (without its annoying cutscene transformation sequences) and XII's Gambit system. I do wish I had more control with the A.I. sets and I really wish I could switch my party leaders mid-battle. It definetly takes away more control than XII did but I'm actually really liking the system overall.

Crystarium system feels like a better version of the Sphere Grid system since you are basically going through multiple Grids to upgrade and you actually get control over what Paradigms to upgrade. So basically its the Sphere Grid system with actual real customization as opposed to the illusion of choice. I'm quite content. If I could change anything, I just wish the Paradigm shifts were named after the Job Classes.

This also brings me to my first major gripe with the game. Am I the only person here who can't fathom why it takes 4 chapters to introduce the Weapon customization system? This seriously should have been something introduced 10 minutes into the actual game. It would have actually give all those save points a purpose in the first couple of chapters, not to mention all the battle items you've been amassing. I've barely used the shops in this game so far but I finally unloaded all the loot I got from enemies. Its has no significance to the story so I can't really understand why it had to be introduced so late in the game.

I'm very sad Snow is gone cause he was definetly one of my stronger party members. He was also more amusing than the children. Lightning still feels utterly emotionless to me, she only seems to have two feelings: Anger and indifference. At least with Squall we got to see he had a more dynamic personality through his thoughts and his snarky comments. Lightning just stays quiet until she gets mad and punches Snow in the face. I've probably learned more about her feelings and inner turmoils from the Data Log than the actual story.

Sahz is still awesome and is easily the most interesting character, he's also the only character who has a secret motive and is able to actually hint to his true purposes with subtlety as opposed to a certain red head...

Speaking of Vanille, she has come across as a combination of Yuffie and Rikku, two characters I really can't stand. I actually thought I was going to like her but all she's really been doing up until this point is get on my nerves. Hope... well every time he shows up I want to punch him in the face. Its a shame he's so useful in battle. Basically, I'm having a really hard time feeling like he's 14, he comes across way younger and I can't understand why he simply can't scream at Snow. It gets really annoying. Not to mention he constantly jumps into despair at the wave of a hand, but unlike Sahz who says it with sarcasm, Hope just whines and yells. This is why kids shouldn't be part of saving the world

The Crystal Lake is the first location that falls into my argument of why dungeon design shouldn't be a simply line. This place is gorgeous and I would have loved to be able to explore it but I'm stuck on my "road". I have finally turned off the mini-map so I can at least lie to myself and pretend the games areas have more going on than being pretty. It also forces me to be more aware of my surroundings so I don't miss treasure chests. The gateway area afterwards is more to my personal taste so it was nice to have an area that didn't feel so constricted. The Peaks are more of the same of the first few areas...

I've died a couple of times, mostly cause Lightning is pretty flimsy and the Shiva Sisters' stupid gauge wouldn't fill up.

The combat so far has been the saving grace of the game as its fast and fun to use, even if it has a few minor problems. The story just feels a bit sluggish right now, I was hoping things would pick up once they all became l'Cie but I still feel like the plot is meandering and slowly building up to its actual objective and point. Its been fun at least.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I have finally turned off the mini-map so I can at least lie to myself and pretend the games areas have more going on than being pretty. It also forces me to be more aware of my surroundings so I don't miss treasure chests.
    Looks like we finally find some common ground I posted a thread about turning off the mini-map to better appreciate the scenery, but no one else seemed to approve. Of course I was saying that it is awesome that it is a straight line so that it affords me the ability to turn off the map, but lets focus on the positive now.

This also brings me to my first major gripe with the game. Am I the only person here who can't fathom why it takes 4 chapters to introduce the Weapon customization system?
    You will be disappointed to learn it isn't a customization system at all, just a Money/Vendor Trash=>+Stats type dealie. You basically take your weapons from the beginning and upgrade them as you go along by selling everything else you pick up. Takes all the fun out of itemization in the game.

Lightning still feels utterly emotionless to me, she only seems to have two feelings: Anger and indifference.
    Probably why I like her so much.

Hope... Its a shame he's so useful in battle. Basically, I'm having a really hard time feeling like he's 14, he comes across way younger and I can't understand why he simply can't scream at Snow.
    I think through their portrayal in media people seem to think 14 year olds are a lot more mature than they actually are. I coach all the time and I can say that I find him acting very 'in-age'. Also keep in mind the 14 year olds vary as much as the rest of us grownups, in terms of emotional development they are all over the map, usually having much different 'ages' of development in each emotion.

well every time he shows up I want to punch him in the face.
    Totally.

The story just feels a bit sluggish right now, I was hoping things would pick up once they all became l'Cie but I still feel like the plot is meandering and slowly building up to its actual objective and point.
    I'm on Ch11, and if you are interested in actual plot as opposed to 'character development', well, if you don't have anything nice to say....

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Looks like we finally find some common ground I posted a thread about turning off the mini-map to better appreciate the scenery, but no one else seemed to approve. Of course I was saying that it is awesome that it is a straight line so that it affords me the ability to turn off the map, but lets focus on the positive now.
    that's actually where I got the idea from, unfortunately, I do need to turn it on occasionally cause several of the environments still feel like copy/paste deals so its easy to get turned around. I also forgot to mention that I don't particulary care for the games camera.

You will be disappointed to learn it isn't a customization system at all, just a Money/Vendor Trash=>+Stats type dealie. You basically take your weapons from the beginning and upgrade them as you go along by selling everything else you pick up. Takes all the fun out of itemization in the game.
    Its an upgrade system at least and it is at least better than what I first imagined it was going to be like.

I think through their portrayal in media people seem to think 14 year olds are a lot more mature than they actually are. I coach all the time and I can say that I find him acting very 'in-age'. Also keep in mind the 14 year olds vary as much as the rest of us grownups, in terms of emotional development they are all over the map, usually having much different 'ages' of development in each emotion.
    Well, I can't really stand the "whiny bitch" type of 14 year olds but when you complain that the kid whines, people love to point out he's a child. I pretty much feel like Lightning (in Chapter 6 now) and feel the kid needs to STFU and finally grow a pair.

It's a bit more then that for weapon customization.

There are a bunch of different options in the sense that you pick which weapon to level up, and each one has different attributes.

For example, with Snow I"m building up Power Circle to maximize his physical damage.

I picked this over his weapon with 'Glass Tiger' which has insane physical and magic output, but leaves his defenses low as sin.

Then LIghning has a weapon that is balance stat wise, ones that focus on magic or attack, one that empowers revive, and one that raises the rate she boosts the Chain Gauge. (WHich I refuse to use by default due to hatred of FF VIII. )

The one I'm using with Vanille more magic biased, but isnt' teh strongest in that area. Instead it has an ability on it that empowers her debuffs.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Well, I can't really stand the "whiny bitch" type of 14 year olds but when you complain that the kid whines, people love to point out he's a child. I pretty much feel like Lightning (in Chapter 6 now) and feel the kid needs to STFU and finally grow a pair.
    My point was that he is an accurate 14 year old, not that he isn't annoying. What most people/developers fail to realize is that 14 year olds who are going through some emotional turmoil are not pleasant to be around.

I also hate how he is so hung up on Snow being responsible for his mother's death. I wouldn't place any blame on him, it was 100% her choice. If she hadn't shot that airship-thingy with the rocket they would probably all be dead, Hope included.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I also hate how he is so hung up on Snow being responsible for his mother's death. I wouldn't place any blame on him, it was 100% her choice. If she hadn't shot that airship-thingy with the rocket they would probably all be dead, Hope included.
    Felt the same way.

I actually thought the in-game action in the first couple of chapters portrayed Hope as more "confused" than hateful, which would have been understandable given the shock one would feel having seen one's mother plummet to her death. Given the way Vanille seemed to want him to confront Snow, that actually seemed to reinforce the idea for me, as if she were sure that once they met, any misunderstandings would be cleared up.

It wasn't until reading the Datalog and getting to Chapter 3 and beyond where the irrational hatred was made obvious (not that Snow the lug didn't help that along by some inadvertently callous comments).

----

At any rate, society can have a significant influence in how quickly somebody grows up emotionally. Overall, Hope comes off to me as a stereotypical modern urban teen from a relatively well-to-do family with a father who is "away on business" much of the time. Had this been a more medieval setting where disease and warfare regularly killed off large segments of the population, he and others his age may have "grown up" faster.

Thinking back, as a teen I know I felt like I was far more mature than anybody gave me credit for, but...you see things a bit differently when you're looking on them from a different perspective. Generally speaking, in my experience, many teens are more like Hope than they'd realize or care to admit, at least until they are older.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anger is always irrational so I'm giving him that at least, I'm just annoyed cause Hope is basically redoing the story of Ken Amada from Persona 3. Ken was younger and still more likable. Yeah he was the cliche kid archetype that tries to act older than he really is but its not like he was a prodigy like most in the archetype. The death of his mother just forced him to grow up faster so he came off more mature.

I'm giving Hope the benefit of the doubt and will wait to see how things turned out but the kid has major expectations to surpass cause Ken's story in P3 was well done and ended with some of the stories most powerful moment for the characters. It really changed the tone of the game at that point whereas I seriously doubt Hope is going to be able to pull this off. Hope's already lost some points by being annoying for the first couple of hours. Basically the kid is trying to perform the same trick after a top class act so he's going have to try hard to find his own niche for me.

I guess this just all goes back to my problem with kid characters, I really don't like them and its hard to make them likable unless your into that cliche. I'd rather have a cast of semi-adults and not have to deal with these silly "coming of age" stories, or "lonely child prodigy" spiel that every RPG/Movie/Book/TV series likes to do. I need RPGs to ditch them as well as the "spunky girl" archetype cause they are equally as annoying at this point in time.

Contributions

I guess this just all goes back to my problem with kid characters, I really don't like them and its hard to make them likable unless your into that cliche. I'd rather have a cast of semi-adults and not have to deal with these silly "coming of age" stories, or "lonely child prodigy" spiel that every RPG/Movie/Book/TV series likes to do. I need RPGs to ditch them as well as the "spunky girl" archetype cause they are equally as annoying at this point in time.
    Oh yeah. I've never really understood the Japanese obsession with having underage protagonists. I can think of so many Anime/Manga's that would be so much better if the characters were adults and I could take them seriously.
    I would much rather have pure adults in the cast. You know, ones with experience fighting before the game started? I still find it hard to stomach watching Sazh fight alongside Lightning in battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree with Sahz, I find it hilarious to watch him fight. Brings back memories of BoF3.

Contributions

What I meat to say is I find it hard to take seriously that he could do anything but get in her way. From being so involved in sport/coaching the notion that someone could just pick up a weapon and compete on par with someone who has years of dedicated training is so fundamentally wrong it assaults the core of my being
    Yeah, he looks funny when he fights. I am always amused by how when the camera pans in on him after a battle ends he has such a comically serious face/posture about him, then immediately switches to standing upright with a goofy smile.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would feel the same way if it wasn't for the fact he uses pistols. Guns don't require skill to be effective. It helps, but its not like he has to be a master marksman or gunslinger to take out baddies, especially when Lightning is jumping around and distracting them. If he used a melee weapon I would probably agree.

If I was going to wonder about anyone throwing off my suspension of disbelief its Hope and his Boomerang which mysteriously disappears into his pocket...