Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Upgrade

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Default Equipment Upgrade

So I am currently in Chapter 10, but I'm not seeing any of you discuss equipment upgrades...

Anyone got any tips or pointers. I have some level 16 weapons, and have nearly ignored all accessories...

I'm still at chapter 4 and I've got level 6 weapons with Lightning and Vanille, but they haven't changed names or anything yet

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow, you guys have some super high level stuff :o Ours nowhere near as close.

I am glad when I find my catalysators for Lightning's Omega Weapon (or whatever the translation is called) and all the equipment.

Here I warn people who haven't noticed some of my posts:

Do not sell your equipment in case you have just 1 item of it. You can get them later and buy them later but when you sell all your elemental rings (they appear more than just once) and you haven't upgraded them (1 of fire, 1 of bolt, et cetera) it is almost impossible to get the golden equipment trophy. It can even be impossible. This trophy is one of the only trophies I haven't yet. And you need time for it.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jesus, how are you doing that, guys? Can you like, give us tips? Do you buy the stuff to upgrade it? How do you get the gil?! Our weapons are much lower leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Jesus, how are you doing that, guys? Can you like, give us tips? Do you buy the stuff to upgrade it? How do you get the gil?! Our weapons are much lower leveled.
    Later the sacrifices (Cie'th monsters) will give you good items you can sell. Later. But you can also sell other items you have more than just 1 (of course you can sell all of them I just want to show you to be careful with it). Also there are other materials which are completely useless for your equipment but give you an enourmous amount of Gil. Like the items of the Sacrifice, for example.

I sold a bunch of equipment and just leveled up some equipment. Also, I don't think too many of us are worried about trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    I sold a bunch of equipment and just leveled up some equipment. Also, I don't think too many of us are worried about trophies.
    Like I told you. You don't care about them. But how many people are there who always want to have every single item and everything else? This time you get your reward for it. Also it is not good to sell everything because maybe you will need it later. Like it happened to me a few weeks ago.

I mean, just sell what you like to sell. And don't think about leveling. But then don't wonder when you cannot pass Orphan's Cradle. The final boss with its 7 million Hit Points is not the only strong enemy there. I just want to help here so people know they should not sell all of their items without even thinking about it. Not only because I want to tell them about the trophy. But if they have their equipment and want the trophy someday they can get it without starting a new save data.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-10-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Use the stuff you get from animals like hides, and also oil, first, and this seems to give you a multiplier boost. The technical components like fibre optic cables and the sublime turbojets are what give you the most EXP, so use them once you've got the multiplier up to at least 1.5, but higher is always better.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I've been ignoring accessories, too. Most of the weapons I use are around level 5. I have more materials, but I've hesitated to go for broke on them in case I find better weapons I want to use instead. If you dismantle leveled-up weapons, do you get the materials back?

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I've finally got this now. Thanks Paul! We got Lightning's weapon up to Level Six, finally. A little late in the game, hahahaha, but we've not had any trouble except for those random bikes, so meh.

I did what psychotic did too, I used some low exp things first to get a big bonus, then I used the ones that give you lots of exp, and then you can just rake in multiple levels in one go.

I've pretty much used up all the materials I have, but I haven't sold any equipment at all. I take it there's not much point in being too careful with saving materials?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

So, like, I don't get it. I upgrade a weapon, then I find a new one in a treasure chest, but since my old one is upgraded it's already better than the new one so what the heck is the point of ever changing gear?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    So, like, I don't get it. I upgrade a weapon, then I find a new one in a treasure chest, but since my old one is upgraded it's already better than the new one so what the heck is the point of ever changing gear?
    The new weapons seem to gain more stats when you upgrade them, or they have their own unique things like Procyons' Stagger Maintenance. But it does seem a bit of an odd situation.

Edit: Rye found a thread online somewhere which said you need 36 of the cheap items - 80 gil ones from Creature Comfort - to get up to triple EXP. I've not yet tested the extent to which this is accurate but so far it's serving me well.

We found a place to grindRight now we're in Chapter 9 and we're fighting a load of enemies who drop Credit Chips and Incentive Chips, which are very good money. There are a couple of save points with a screen change in between; it's a great place to grind out some equipment levelling.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 03-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.

I wish I had known that. I am now grinding CP in Chapter 11.