Thread: final fantasy switch

Default final fantasy switch

I'm sure this has been covered a thousands times before. but i haven't been here long. Why is that sony switched to Playstation for FFVII instead of staying with Nintendo. I've heard it was because of nintendos rediculous editing (FFVI?) or because of the PS capabilities?

just wondering. Any help is appreciated.

Default You mean Square not Sony...

Allegedly Square had something of a falling out with Nintendo...apparently over Nintendo refusing to change to cds ( which could store a lot more info) and sticking with cartridges.

It took a long time for Nintendo to accept the fact that cds were better than cartridges.

FF6 3D Tech demo.

Does that answer your question.You can google the words "nintendo square falling out" and find several commentaries about it.

They seem to have made up, at least to an extent , that's why we're seeing more peripheral FFs being released on the DS.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I remember seeing a photoshopped picture of a stack of something like 28 N64 cartridges with the FFVII logo on them. It was really funny.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Cartridges rule!, they failed because is way too expensive to produce them. In the other hand CDs/DVD (which get scratched and ruined easily) are ass-cheap so everyone switched to them..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

I vaguely remember something about censorship, but I doubt it since it seems like that was isolated to North America. FFVI in Japan was actually a pretty adult game.

The official story is Nintendo did not want to evolve with CD's. Tons more storage and you practically print them for nothing. It was either Sega or Playstation at that point and I guess the stars just aligned with Playstation. Thank God it did because that was (IMO) the Golden Age of RPG's.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The fact that Nintendo owned the cartridge format probably had something to do with it too. As long as companies used cartridges for N64 games they had to pay royalties to Nintendo, but Sony couldn't charge anything for CD's.

Still though the biggest reason, and likely the one that swung the decision at Square when you look at how FFVII turned out was the larger storage. You literally couldn't make that game on a cartridge at the time it came out.