Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (Chapter 13 thread) Congratulations, you've graduated to the end!

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Yeah I agree, the ending was pretty bland. It would have been cool to see a 5 years later or something xD

I must have missed that Fang and Vanille were childhood friends! Seems like Fang is a lot older than Vanille? I wish they had given us more background on all the characters, where they lived, what they did etc. Then maybe I would have cared more about the story. One of my favourite moments in the game was being able to see inside Lightning's house !

Okay on to the sidequests

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It doesn't tell you specifically in the game that they were childhood friends, but they do discuss how they grew up in Oerba together (when you're in Oerba) and there is a photo of them together. Square Enix have released (in Japan) a few short stories regarding the characters about their life before the events, and in them Vanille & Fang are revealed to have been very close since they were children.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rinoabella View Post
    I must have missed that Fang and Vanille were childhood friends! Seems like Fang is a lot older than Vanille?
    Fang is 21 and Vanille is 19 like Square says in the Ultimania Omega of Final Fantasy XIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Fang definitely is far more mature, though. xD

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I just beat the game and was disappointed. The entire chapter 13 is random. Everything is rushed and forced, and the plot and side characters (including villain) remained horribly underdeveloped. I previously complained about how it seems like the entire world did not exist outside of the six characters, and that opinion has not changed in the slightest. Great job developing the main characters, but terrible job at developing absolutely everything else. The entire "plot" was told to you in a couple 5-minute conversations with the villain and that was it. Very bad, lazy story telling. It seems like the writers spent all of their production time working on the characters and backstories, then when they finished realized they didn't have an actual plot to put around it, so rushed something out in 5 minutes.

The ending wasn't too terrible, and did even provide an emotional twist. But overall was just another average, ill-developed plot point.
    Last edited by Raistlin; 04-01-2010 at 05:24 AM.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I just beat the game and was disappointed. The entire chapter 13 is random. Everything is rushed and force, and the plot and side characters (including villain) remained horribly underdeveloped. I previously complained about how it seems like the entire world did not exist outside of the six characters, and that opinion has not changed in the slightest. Great job developing the main characters, but terrible job at developing absolutely everything else. The entire "plot" was told to you in a couple 5-minute conversations with the villain and that was it. Very bad, lazy story telling. It seems like the writers spent all of their production time working on the characters and backstories, then when they finished realized they didn't have an actual plot to put around it to rushed something out in 5 minutes.

The ending wasn't too terrible, and did even provide an emotional twist. But overall was just another average, ill-developed plot point.
    Hm, I was just mulling about what to write in my rant, but this is about where I am it.

Did it annoy anyone how between Ch11,12&13 there were like a dozen cutsceens where the party resolved to save cocoon and stick together? This was essentially the entire sequence between the two Orphan fights. All I was thinking was "haven't I seen this exact same scene a few too many times already?"
    And did we really need the Fal'Cie to taunt them so much? They sounded like Saturday morning cartoon villains going "BAHAHAHA! BAHAHA!". The whole ending sequence could have been easily edited down to a third of the time without losing anything.

The whole (SPOILER)actual saving Cocoon part was pretty cool though.

In the end (SPOILER)when they are sitting in the middle of nowhere with no way to get back up into Cocoon did anyone else think it was kind of stupid to throw in a stereotypical happily ever after? I mean, if I was the populace of Cocoon I would probably be just a little cheesed at them. All the hapily ever after fluff seemed completely out of place.

Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Fang definitely is far more mature, though. xD
    Fang sounds like a 38 year old smoker

I took down my first Adamantoise today! Only had 2 roles per character maxed out and the rest pretty undeveloped. I just equipped lots of Strength and Magic accessories, used Bahamut to take out the legs and then take the rest of it down with Tri-Disaster/Aggression during the stagger

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

I really enjoyed the ending, although I was a tad confused...

Why exactly did their Focus change and why did they loose their brands? I know it has something to do with Fang and Vanille's surprise Ragnarok fusion but I'm still confused. Is it because destroying Orphan but not Cocoon was a loophole in the Focus?

I think this ending was sort of like FFIX, in the sense that the game was made with a direct sequel in mind. Sadly it never actually happened for 9, but maybe it will for 13. It's also possible that VS and Agito will elaborate on the Mythos, maybe giving hints and what could happen next in this one (even though they're set on different worlds).

No but just taking it for what it is, I did like the ending.
    jkhkjg

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Isn't the reason they lose their brands is that they destroyed all fal'cies and created a world without them?

Contributions

There are still a ton of Fal'Cie on Pulse.

(SPOILER)They did technically fulfill their focus, which was to kill Orphan. They just saved Coccon afterwards.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    There are still a ton of Fal'Cie on Pulse.

(SPOILER)They did technically fulfill their focus, which was to kill Orphan. They just saved Coccon afterwards.
    Cool, I thought that was it. How come they turned back from Crystal, then?
    jkhkjg

Contributions

(SPOILER)Because it made a happier ending than having to wait a few hundred years?

Then again there wasn't anything conclusive to indicate they weren't crystals for centuries before they woke up.

Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Arrow

Anyone having trouble with getting spoils from the Shaolong Gui? I have beaten about 4 - 5 and no spoils yet I really need Dark Matter to upgrade accessories! I have equipped: 2 x Collectors Catalogs[*], and one Connoisseurs Catalog[*].

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Kelly: Just equip one Collector's Catalog, they don't stack, sadly. I haven't faced the Gui yet - I'm saving them for after I've got pretty much all the trophies I can get without bringing them out into the world. If you're specifically after Dark Matter, it might (not sure) help to remove both Collector's Catalogs... I'm not sure if having the ColCat will take away a bit of the odds of getting a rare item by making it more likely to get a regular item. Someone else might be able to advise on that? Alternatively, if you keep getting Platinum Ingots, you can just buy your Dark Matter.

Dark Matter is a 5% drop, so it will probably take a little time. Platinum Ingots are a 25% drop so you should easily get a few of those... it's possible that you're just on a run of bad luck!

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    (SPOILER)Then again there wasn't anything conclusive to indicate they weren't crystals for centuries before they woke up.
    Actually, if you watch the video at the end of this chapter, (SPOILER)you'll find that just after they "wake up" you see soldiers landing and organising themselves, suggesting that just moments have passed. It is possible that, given that Vanille (telephically, apparently!) tells the characters to "Wake up" (at which point they wake up) and then says "This is as much as we can do, the rest is up to you" could suggest that Fang/Vanille, using what they had left of the power of Ragnarok, were able to somehow free the characters from having to wake centuries before re-awakening.

I'll bother to quote the guide's extra bits, too, for what they're worth... they're not very specific as to how Light/Snow/Sazh/Hope get freed, although it suggests that it's because the focus was not achieved by themselves and because you can't be punished for no longer having a focus to achieve, that they were freed, although I don't know why they were crystalised in the first place if that's the case.

As prophesised, a sacrifice ahs been made: but not the one that the fal'Cie intended. Instead of recalling the Maker from his distant retreat, this sacrifice ushers in a new age of free will for humanity. The residents of Cocoon are seen evacuating to the surface of Gran Pulse, disembarking from their craft to find a world without fal'Cie to pamper them and tend to their every need. It may be a tougher life ahead for the survivos, but it will be their own. Neither gods nor fal'Cie will determine their fate from this point.

With their Focus completed by their friends, and a destiny willingly borne, the other heroes are released from their own crystal sleep to find their brands have disappeared.

The power of the fal'Cie has also faded with the destruction of Cocoon's energy source. Other humans can no longer be held in crystal stasis by conditions which have ceased to apply, and so they too lose their brands. Dajh and Serah are just two of the l'Cie freed by Fang and Vanille's sacrifice. The game ends with the worlds once again rejoined by a physical and emotional bond of friendship.

And, if you hadn't noticed, the final scenes reveal the true meaning of Yoaka Amano's FINAL FANTASY XIII logo: an image that has been staring at you from the game's title screen in every playing session. It is the world of Cocoon, safely clasped in the coils of the crystal beast that sprung from the will of Fang and Vanille.

Hope that sheds a little light, at the least!

Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

I took out both Collectors Catalogs and left the Connoisseurs Catalog in. Then I got a... Gold Nugget Unfortunately you can't get Platinum Ingots from this guy, it's normal drop is Gold Nuggets and its rare drop is Dark Matter. I have now beaten about 10 of these things and still no Dark Matter. In fact the only spoil I have received so far is the single Gold Nugget. I'll keep trying though!

Edit: I finally got Dark Matter!!! Although in retrospect it almost seems easier to farm the Adamantoise for Platinum Ingots and BUY Dark Matter than to farm the Shaolong Gui!
    Last edited by Rinoabella; 04-15-2010 at 05:02 PM.