Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution

YouTube - Deus Ex: Human Revolution NEW trailer

After what has seemed like years we finally have some more info on the next Deus Ex game. And it seems they have tried everything in their power to make the next trailer as confusing as possible. Regardless, its still nice to see that the game still exists. It should be out by the end of the year if I'm reading correctly. Can't wait.

EDIT - Also worth noting that the game is being developed for the PC, 360 and PS3. What a surprise.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 03-13-2010 at 11:44 AM.

I didn't find the trailer particularly confusing.

It starts with the scene portrayed in Rembrandt's "The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp." There seems to be the man's soul leaving his body (perhaps allegorically losing his soul for what he is to receive). He then personifies Icarus and with his wings flies too close (indeed into) the sun.

The Rembrandt painting is a good representation of early medical technology when it was still thought wrong to dissect corpses. Early (post Enlightenment... thus hence Dark Ages) medical knowledge was gained by essentially stealing corpses to dissect and learn from.

I think this point being made is that we've come so far and learn so much, only to fly too close to the sun like Icarus. Our pride in our ever growing knowledge led us to a fall... the bio-technologies that maybe a little too much.

Then our protagonist(?) wakes from that dream to his reality... a future where perhaps medical technology has taken things a bit out of control. The rest is just general teaser trailer fodder. S**t's about to hit the fan to add tension, he shows off some biomods and gets ready for action.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't consider the development of the game for the 3 main formats of the moment to be a surprise either, why is this surprising to you? The 3 main formats are very evenly matched regardless of the way the ps3 fanboys and 360 fanboys argue and currently they're doing everything the average pc can (I'm not counting speciffically designed gaming rigs as the average pc ok, those things are beasts and deserve some god damn respect, they're anything but average they're also 5x the cost of their console rivals to build and buy) if not do it better. Many pc's store brought will not run games such as GTA IV, Fallout 3, Modern Warfare 2 not if you're looking at less than £400 which is about the amount the average console (ps3/360) transaction comes to (counting additional periphials such as hdmi cables, control pads, games) and the pc doesn't come with the games or additional periphials.

In short, this could be an excellent reboot for a great series or it could turn out to be complete pap much like deus ex 2 was imho only time will tell.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic Iceglow.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of teaser trailers like this. They're nice because they let you know they are indeed working on the game, but beyond that, I'll wait for an actual gameplay trailer before getting too excited.

I think the trailer at least gives us an idea on how the game will look. I'm really digging the cyberpunk/gothic artstyle the game is going for. I reckon we'll see the game itself at E3, especially if they are aiming to release the game this fall.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 03-13-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I think the trailer at least gives us an idea on how the game pre-rendered cutscenes will look.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the art style does look cool, but how much of that transfers well into the game we'll have to see. I just prefer actual gameplay trailers because these tell us little about the game and how it will play.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The trailer seems very poignant and sets an appropriate tone, I think.

My fear is that they'll dumb everything down too much. Bioshock got away with it (dumbing down gameplay ideas from System Shock 2) because of a fantastic story and creative environments. Considering Deus Ex's story was based around often complex, intertwined stories, I'm curious if they'll be able to pull it off without losing the attention span of the average twitch-happy shooter fan.

I've never played Deus Ex 2, but from everything I've heard, I don't want this game to end up like that.

Square? What? Since when?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Square bought Eidos a while back so they publish all of their games now.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was kinda funny seeing the Youtube comments saying that Square's involvement explained the weird stuff in the trailer. But, yeah, SE bought out Eidos last year sometime. I think technically Eidos is now Square-Enix Europe, though I've seen the Eidos branding used a few places recently despite that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Square bought Eidos a while back so they publish all of their games now.
    Where the hell have I been when this all happened?

Shoeberto - yeah I've seen it around too, I suppose that's why I didn't have a clue.

Seems odd to see Square on a Deus Ex game.

The idea of large publishing houses consuming one another kinda frightens me of a homogenized gaming future. My only consolation is the thought that one day all of the original team from System Shock 2 will essentially be owned by the same parent company making it available as an IP to work with again and be re-released.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    The idea of large publishing houses consuming one another kinda frightens me of a homogenized gaming future.
    Lighten up! It is just one of many multiple endings you unlock in the last moments of the game - despite prior decisions.

YouTube - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer - E3 2010: Trailer

Thought it was worth posting this. Im not sure if I like seeing Deus Ex being geared towards cinematics. I guess there just trying to keep up with the times but it still bothers me somewhat. The first trailer left a better impression in my opinion.