Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I'd actually knock it down to a seven for being way to easy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I didn't find it as easy as you, but that may be down to either lack of skill in these kind of games or just a different method of playing. I kind of hoarded the energy bars / packs unless I couldn't progress without them, and that meant rarely cloaking as I wanted to sneak up behind every individual, knock them unconcious and drag them aside and never be seen.

I'm really keen on replaying without caring about not being seen etc. though. I think it'll probably be a lot more fun. =]
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I had a basic stratagy for clearing most areas.

Pick off singe stragglers with non-lethal take downs. Groups of two when I got the double take down Augment.

When I could no longer do that undetected, stay a bit back and start capping heads with a 10mm pistol, the most useful gun in the game.

I did this on the hardest difficulty, and didn't even make use of my Typhoon until the second boss fight. I rarely play shooters, only one I play a lot is boarderlands.

Perhaps I just got lucky and stumbled across the easy strategy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ah, yeah, I didn't really use the 10mm (although alongside the Tranquilizer Gun, it was my most used gun), I just kept doing takedowns like crazy, even if it involved significant patience. Some bits were... awkward to say the least. I did use the 10mm for luring enemies, though.

I didn't have Typhoon until the second boss either, and used it for bosses and (SPOILER)saving Malik.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Shooting people in the head usually does that though

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You get more experience for keeping them alive.

The 10mm is really easy to get head shots with, I actually used it almost exclusively that on the part you said you used Typhoon on.

Technically revolver is just as useful until you realize there is far less revolver ammo to be found, where as there's a near unlimited supply of 10mm ammo out there.

The other problem with difficulty is AI effectiveness is awkward. I like how their patterns aren't always the same, so it can be hard to predict their actions. However at times an enemy can see you kill someone, and you can jump behind a pillar, and they will lose track of you completely.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    The 10mm is really easy to get head shots with, I actually used it almost exclusively that on the part you said you used Typhoon on.
    It is, but if you want to (SPOILER)save her then you don't have time to target people. Unless you're just immense when it comes to targeting. If you don't do things exactly right on that level, and extremely fast, there's no way you can do it. 10mm wouldn't really cut it for most of the enemies, not to mention the three guys too high up for a 10mm and the robot... or did you not (SPOILER)bother saving her?

Technically revolver is just as useful until you realize there is far less revolver ammo to be found, where as there's a near unlimited supply of 10mm ammo out there.
    Guns I never used: Machine pistol, revolver, shotgun (I did use the double-barrel, mind you), laser rifle.

The other problem with difficulty is AI effectiveness is awkward. I like how their patterns aren't always the same, so it can be hard to predict their actions. However at times an enemy can see you kill someone, and you can jump behind a pillar, and they will lose track of you completely.
    Depends on how fast you were. It's reasonable that some people will see something happen but not be focused on that exact area and thus not know where you went (let's face it, there is a massive amount of cover in this game). That said, it would have been nice to have a few levels that had next to no cover, so you had to rely on different tactics for stealth (eg. loading the bars and using 7second per bar cloaking to move around in constant stealth taking guys down).

Also, in retrospect, I had like... 6 energy packs and 15 energy bars available and roughly 20 typhoon ammo. The problem I had with the game is I never really knew how much more time the game so I never knew if I should be saving them or not. I will definitely be using my energy bars etc. far more frequently if I play it through again. I expect the game will be massively more fun that way. I want to do a 35 second sneak, I want to typhoon a group of around five enemies, I want to make better use of the sniper, I want to not care about being seen and just fight it out sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It is, but if you want to (SPOILER)save her then you don't have time to target people. Unless you're just immense when it comes to targeting. If you don't do things exactly right on that level, and extremely fast, there's no way you can do it. 10mm wouldn't really cut it for most of the enemies, not to mention the three guys too high up for a 10mm and the robot... or did you not (SPOILER)bother saving her?
    I did (SPOILER)save her, it's just a lot of the shots can be fired at the exploding barrels rather then people. It was more about (SPOILER)Getting them to target me rather then Mallik so speed didn't become much of an issue. Once trained on you, you have time to move up to take out the long range guys without worry. And I'll be honest I don't remember a robot. More likely then not that was just one of my EMP grenades. I never remember having issues with robots anywhere.

Guns I never used: Machine pistol, revolver, shotgun (I did use the double-barrel, mind you), laser rifle.
    Machine Pistol is worthless. I did use the Shotgun in the last level, but I just finally ran out of bullets in my 10mm from the area previous. I used 10mm for virtually every enemy, as well as takedowns, Heavy Rifle for torrents and bots near games end, and on occasional shotgun rampage. And a couple gas, frag, and EMP grenades.

Depends on how fast you were. It's reasonable that some people will see something happen but not be focused on that exact area and thus not know where you went (let's face it, there is a massive amount of cover in this game). That said, it would have been nice to have a few levels that had next to no cover, so you had to rely on different tactics for stealth (eg. loading the bars and using 7second per bar cloaking to move around in constant stealth taking guys down).

Also, in retrospect, I had like... 6 energy packs and 15 energy bars available and roughly 20 typhoon ammo. The problem I had with the game is I never really knew how much more time the game so I never knew if I should be saving them or not. I will definitely be using my energy bars etc. far more frequently if I play it through again. I expect the game will be massively more fun that way. I want to do a 35 second sneak, I want to typhoon a group of around five enemies, I want to make better use of the sniper, I want to not care about being seen and just fight it out sometimes.
    I only discovered sloppy detection when I started lying in wait for take-downs on enemies to come around the corner mid fight.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Finished the game tonight. Really wasn't big on the final stage, plot event, or the ending but everything before that was gold (except for the few times when it was only silver).

Did a mostly athletics-based stealth run with some moderate hacking. High jumps, wall smashing, silent running, object moving, Icarus landing, etc. Filled a lot of dudes with tranquilizer throughout and did a fair share of takedowns. I lost my no-kill in the first mission (not the intro) pretty quickly before I got accustomed to the awareness of the guards. After that I usually only killed when there were multiple hostiles on me or when I thought the guy deserved it. Once near the end I killed in cold blood and don't regret it.

I really, really liked the cities. Hengsha in particular, hot damn. My only criticism for this aspect of the game is that its last quarter/third or so really felt like it needed a third hub area to make the whole thing feel complete. I read that Montreal was apparently set to be the third city but was cut for time. I ended up doing plenty of side-quests but my PSN trophy list tells me that I've missed at least four - one I know I actively avoided, one which I was assigned but didn't bother starting because the main mission at the time got too interesting to pass up, and two I didn't even encounter. In a week I'll probably start a new game and get really thorough and try a new play style.

Overall, this is a very good game. Rare also, in that very few modern, big-name games demonstrate so much depth and attention to detail. That said, it doesn't seem to have quite as much scope as DX1 (although it is way better mechanically). This isn't necessarily a huge blow against HR but there are times when the first game is clearly being invoked by the designers and it's at these times it becomes clear that they just haven't pulled off some things as effectively.

EDIT: Loved the emails too. Especially the references to current day baseball players and Star Trek 3.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 09-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I bought the game the other day and have only just finished the first mission (some of us work full time ). It's pretty immersive and throws up some original ideas (SPOILER)I spent ages mooching around in the offices at the start of the game, assuming there would be no consequences, then when I arrived at the factory I was told the hostages were already all dead. Later on when I stumbled across a room full of their dead bodies, I felt like a dick.

Anybody notice that you can walk all the way back to your entry point at the end of the mission and see SWAT dudes taking photos of the crime scene as you go?

there was a picture here

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Anybody notice that you can walk all the way back to your entry point at the end of the mission and see SWAT dudes taking photos of the crime scene as you go?
    That's pretty cool. That kind of thing is probably what I like most about the game, all the little touches in the world.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

So does this game require playing of the others to make sense, or does it stand nicely on it's own?

It's been forever since I played the original Deus Ex and I can't really remember what it was about honestly.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've never played the original Deus Ex and I found DE:HR very enjoyable. I don't think the two games are linked in any strong way outside of the world they're set in. The original is actually in 2052 or something, while I think this newer game is set in 2027. So I don't think there is even a common character involved.

Blog Entries

Playing the original does provide a bit of exta understanding though. One of the major subthemes in the original was that augmentations used in HR (ie. Robot arms and the like) were already on their way out, and were being replaced by less visible nano-augmentations (like those that you have). You meet a lot of these old 'mechs' during the game, all of which have differing opinions on people viewing them as obsolete heaps of junk.

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

trout, I'm reinstalling

there was a picture here