Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    So does this game require playing of the others to make sense, or does it stand nicely on it's own?

It's been forever since I played the original Deus Ex and I can't really remember what it was about honestly.
    The game stands totally on its own. Definitely play it regardless of how familiar you are with the first game. There are some really neat references sprinkled throughout but about 98% of them have no bearing on your understanding of the game world.

Blog Entries

Also, I noticed one of those eBook things sitting around in an office somewhere that was a recount of some kind of scientific summit that had just occurred, where they talked about the use of electronic pacemakers that could be reprogrammed remotely in vivo to, among other things, stop the heart. Deus Ex's 'killswitch', anyone?

there was a picture here

Just finished it and it blew me away completely. Haven't seen all the endings yet, but SpoilerI went with mankind is incapable of using technology responsibly and picked the Darrow one. And I must say, I liked it. Even though I know some people tend to dislike it, I think it fitted the game perfectly; Spoileryou're just a pawn, and nothing you do will change the world.

Anyway, in short: it's the deepest, most detailed and challenging game I have played in a long long time and I will plunge back in straight away.

Edit: SpoilerI hate Megan now. Do you?

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Me too. She's great because she's (SPOILER)characterized perfectly as an opportunist. The biotech field was expanding so rapidly, and she wasn't going to just stop continuing her work. The attack was awful and she knows it but she dealt with it a lot more "shrewdly" than the other scientists you saved. Really great twist to her character arc. I thought that little beat when Adam walks in the room and Megan with her back turned is casually like, "Jaron, is that you?" was a really great moment in showing how she kind of embraced and became comfortable in the whole situation. Then there is of course the "secret ending" bit too, which was also cool.

I also really like the way Sarif is handled: (SPOILER)Just a businessman, willing to do what he needs to do to advance his business. Whether this is for power or philanthropy is probably up for debate, but he is by no means the moustache twirling behind-the-scenes villain a lesser game would have had him be. Minus Hugh Darrow and the four boss villains, I really think the character writing in this game is exceptionally well done.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 12-16-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Me too. She's great because she's (SPOILER)characterized perfectly as an opportunist. The biotech field was expanding so rapidly, and she wasn't going to just stop continuing her work. The attack was awful and she knows it but she dealt with it a lot more "shrewdly" than the other scientists you saved. Really great twist to her character arc. I thought that little beat when Adam walks in the room and Megan with her back turned is casually like, "Jaron, is that you?" was a really great moment in showing how she kind of embraced and became comfortable in the whole situation. Then there is of course the "secret ending" bit too, which was also cool.

I also really like the way Sarif is handled: (SPOILER)Just a businessman, willing to do what he needs to do to advance his business. Whether this is for power or philanthropy is probably up for debate, but he is by no means the moustache twirling behind-the-scenes villain a lesser game would have had him be. Minus Hugh Darrow and the four boss villains, I really think the character writing in this game is exceptionally well done.
    Megan is indeed Spoileran opportunist, continuing her work no matter for what cause, as long as it's pushing boundaries. That makes her quite the mad scientist too. It kind of threw me around; at first I was psyched to find out Megan lives, but once I found out she knows no right or wrong, I lost all my respect for her.

About Sarif and Hugh; SpoilerSarif is indeed exceptionally well written. I could never really pinpoint what he would expect of my actions. He always has a silver tongue. Also, props for the voice acting. I liked how Hugh Darrow was trying to be the man behind the scenes, although he could not reach Illuminati level. He was trying to exceed them, but I think he overestimated his influence. I like how you finally meet him in the end. Heh, I actually shot him first time around after I won the conversation for making the world go mad. All the more surprise when I found out I actually agreed to his 'final message'.

Last but not least; I've said it before, but I love how this games portraits the futile-ness of most of the events in the game. Taggart, Darrow, Sarif; none of them (and none of their messages) count for enough power to change the world. It's the Illuminati who are pulling the strings far beyond anyone's reach. And call me mad, but I think there is some truth in this in how our own world works (I didn't get the idea from just Deus Ex though, I've seen some rather intriguing documentaries and such). No offense to anyone, but a NPC says at some point: "Was this attack done by the same guys who faked 9/11?". That's when I knew this game would match my vision like I never imagined it would.

This game is getting tons of 'top 3 games of the year' love here in the Netherlands, although I don't know any other person who has bought it. That's a shame, because it is a true diamond of a game.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

I just got it and I'm loving it. Really immersive and the freedom of choice is brilliant. Have to say, I bought the other 2 Deus Ex's and...well...I gave up on the first one out of bordem and the 2nd one just black screened :[ So this is a welcome improvement!
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

I got this game for christmas, but why I left it this long until I played it I'll never know: the game is incredible, I'm not too far in just yet but wow.

Also loving some of the little throwbacks to the original game: Some of the original themes playing on the radio, someone whistling the main theme, mentions of the Luminous Path and Red Arrow, and I also picked up a eBook with mention of the UN considering a worldwide police (UNATCO no doubt) for the future.
    Little things like that give this already amazing game its edge.

Great game. Didn't like that the choices you're given at the end don't really change anything at all. Life just goes on until the next Deus Ex. Would have been cool if they somehow connected Jensen with JC in the original Deus Ex somehow. If I ever do another playthrough I'm just gonna kill everyone straight up. Stealthing around proved to be just a personal thing and not critical to the game at all.