Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Behold! (Cell phones)

Default Behold! (Cell phones)

If you'd be so kind as to click the attached picture you will notice the mecca of the texting generation. Screw QWERTY keyboards. Screw 10MP cameras. Screw THERE'S AN AP FOR THAT

You got a special ringtone for everyone who calls you?

Well I have a special "ring" tone for everyone who texts me

HA

Well, there's trouble in paradise

This is one of LG's "glory days" phones. When the enV and Chocolate were first introduced. Their little brother was the phone I have. The VX8300. They were all part of the same "family". As in they all had generally the same features. Cameras, text tone option, and mp3 players. Just different packaging based on your preference

And the whole "text alert ID" thing died out with those phones as far as anyone I know is aware. But everyone I know uses Verizon. In America. And this was ... 3 years ago? I love this phone, but its slowly giving up the ghost. Fortunately I was lucky enough to grab a "gently used" one off Amazon that was damn near brand new. Beautiful condition. It just concerns me. If that phone dies for whatever reason. Finding a phone with text ID capability is damn near impossible to accomplish

Dude at Verizon once told me it was "proprietary". There's a chance he was speaking out his ass. But I suppose there's also a chance someone owns the rights to adding the ability to set text tones. If so I'd LOVE to know who that is. I don't care about their bad market morals. I will buy their phones if I can set text tones

So really, this topic is if anyone knows of ANY other phones that have an option similar to this

Otherwise, feel free to brag about your favorite cell phone and its options
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vyk; 03-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry, but I rather having the text tone of the guy yelling "Run bitch, ruuuuun!" from the original Scary Movie instead of a unique one for everyone.

But for any other phone to have a different text tone for everyone, I think my Nokia can do that, if I put everyone in their own separate group. I'll check later.

Its just an -option-. Of course you can just set a default tone and leave everyone's alone. I'd never do that. I love knowing who's texting me by the sound my phone makes. And I have a program and lots of video game soundtracks to make hundreds of tones. The memory card for my phone currently has 150'ish tones I've made to choose from ^_^

... /addict

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just wish I could use my own ringtones without having to sacrifice small goats.

That is to say, I managed it precisely twice and never again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    The memory card for my phone currently has 150'ish tones I've made to choose from ^_^

I wish I had a memory card for my phone, but alas, I do not.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do, which makes it more excruciating, but at least I can take a load of pictures.

What's the problem, rubah? Is it giving an error or just making you jump through hoops? If you have a really old phone, it's probably more likely you'd need to hack in ringtones with a data cable o.o newer phones should be less complicated

I'd give my brother's one Samsung props for letting you set MP3s straight to ringtones. That'd be pretty awesome and convenient. As it stands, I have to send myself pix messages with the tones as sounds and save as ringtone before I can use them

But when it comes to phone hacking and work-arounds, I've had a little experience :}

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't worry, I've read about half the 60 page thread on Howard Forums dedicated to getting ringtones on the LG Glimmer! And like I said, I succeeded.

Once.

Bluetooth is out of the question, but I have a data cable. Downloaded Bitpim, both versions released for mac. No go. I think it was actually on XP that it worked. A few times, I've been able to find my phone in bitpim on mac, but for some reason, I couldn't delete the DRM file that checks if you're trying to modify the folder you need to drop the mp3 into.

anyway, I'm just biding my time at this point. I have about 80% of what I have known I wanted to do. The touchscreen is a POS anyway. What is the purpose if you can't use it and there is no backup method of interfacing?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    I just wish I could use my own ringtones without having to sacrifice small goats.

That is to say, I managed it precisely twice and never again.
    Poor Billy and Kiddo... I was hoping to show them at the fair, but I guess you really wanted your ringtones...

Haha

Well sounds like rubah needs a new phone too... How hard is it to make a great user-friendly feature-full phone these days. Everyone wants to put a tablet pc in your pocket. And they're so fragile 'cause they're trying too hard to be state-of-the art, and haven't perfected the future yet

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

My Omina II is pretty nice and cos it's Windoze it doe's that text alert thing and also changes your hat dependent on who calls.
    FOA

My (new) Nokia 2370 doesn't seem to have text msg id tone (which usually attache to the ringtone id)

I miss that feature that old motorola l6 had but I do love my new one!!

Sacrifices must be made I guess...

HOTROD
    "Lets go for a spin you and I"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I thought that feature was pretty common. I think any symbian phone has got it, as well as Series 40 Nokias.

-edit-
    Actually nope.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I've got a Samsung Freeform, and usually when people text me, it plays 'To Zanarkand'

Ahaha, I'm such a nerd.
    "We're not the same, dear, as we used to be.
    The seasons have changed and so have we.
    There was little we could say, and even less we could do
    To stop the ice from getting thinner under me and you."

Quote Originally Posted by Baloki View Post
    My Omina II is pretty nice and cos it's Windoze it doe's that text alert thing and also changes your hat dependent on who calls.
    I'm told there's a few smartphones that can do it. But those features are probably so deep in their OS it'd be hard to figure it out just browsing in the store. Thanks for verifying one for me