Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite FFXIII Char!

It's a tough choice, I pretty much like all of the characters. But I would have to say Snow, Sazh and Vanille, all great for different reasons. (:

Hope, Sahz, and Lightning are my three favorites. I really don't like Vanille as much and I think Fang is so-so. Hope's my favorite since he's realistic and NOT whiny though people think he is.
    "In the garden sleeps a messenger."
    Arrode (retired): RDM75/BRD70/WHM65/NIN37/BLM37

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm on chapter 4 and so far Hope is horrible in battle. And he hasn't added much personality-wise either.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Hope is a good magic-user, so his Ravager attacks should be pretty decent. I wasn't won over on him for my party until much later, though.

Character-wise, yeah, I agree he's not the greatest. He's very dramatic, which doesn't stop even after he's done pouting.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hope's best use I can find so far is as synergist for defense.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sazh, with Vanille behind.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm surprised by the variety of answers in this thread.

I like all the characters, so for favorite I'm gonna have to go with frocobo.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hope is getting better, but I still don't like him that much.

Lightning is awesome, I like her the most.

Wow. I'm shocked by those who put down Snow. I like him, but he seems the most generic of the six main characters. The usual gung-ho, overenthusiastic male hero. (See: Locke, Sabin, Zidane, Tidus, Vaan.) The other five at least seem to take the usual archetypes they fall into and do new things with them.

Lightning: Not at all like the usual lead female character who needs a man to come save her. She doesn't need one at all. She relies on herself. And unlike most other protagonists, she treats the other party members (at least eventually) as equals, not as her minions (see: Cloud, Squall, Zidane).

Vanille: Yeah, the usual "perky young girl," my favorite archetype. But unlike most, they actually give her a sad past, turn her more serious midway through the game, and have her play a more serious role in events of the story than most other past characters of her archetype. Can you really say that Porom, Krile, Relm, Yuffie, Selphie, Eiko, Rikku, or Penelo played any huge parts in their games?

Sazh: Comic relief for sure, but probably the first comic relief character who had his own actual story, too. He also began the serious stuff around the same time as Vanille, and you saw him evolve into a character who meant business. Probably the best-defined black character in the series (though Barret's a close second).

Hope: The newest incarnation of the "energetic young boy" archetype, but this time, with a twist. Yeah, he's energetic, but as a refreshing change, in a bad (or at least not-so-good) way. He's really whiny, no doubt, but even as his confidence grows, he's still a very negative person with an equally-negative outlook, something you couldn't call his predecessors, Palom, Gau, Zell, and Vivi. I mean, even in his family pictures, he's negative!

Fang: The "strong, serious female" character is usually dour and extremely strict, as well as "strictly business." But Fang's a bit more laid-back and, dare I say, fun. She jokes around a bit more and manages to bring levity through what seriousness she does have, something Rydia, Faris, Celes, Tifa, Quistis, Freya, Lulu, and Fran all couldn't do. Well . . . perhaps Faris and Tifa were capable of it, as was Lulu (albeit only at one point for her), but Fang does it much better.

With Snow . . . he doesn't break any molds at all like the other five do. Like I said, pretty generic.

But getting on with my favorite character, my avatar says it all. And one word why: ALEXANDER.

(Though there are other reasons, too.)

Lightning is my sister... no really... If I were trapped in a crystal my sister would mutate into a real live Lightning. She is my hero. Therefor... obviously, Lightning is my favorite, but Vanille is growing on me quickly.
    I also like Snow because he makes me laugh.

So... Lightning, Snow, Vanille, in that order in the top three.

Lightning by far. She just has the most devastating abilities that look the coolest. I can pull off a lot of crazy stunts while playing her. Her personality is pretty cool to boot too, and the fact that she always pulls off the most awe-inspiring cut scenes is a definite plus.

Fang would be my second, since well, she has made for a powerful combination as a commando with Lightning. This followed by Vanille as my favorite healer.

I never used Sazh or Snow past the choice marker. I just don't like the way Sazh moves on the battlefield, though I'm pretty sure he's the best straight synergist available. Though now in post game I'll probably mess around with them some sooner or later.

My battle setup configuration info:

(SPOILER)The setup I ran through the whole game past the 25 hour mark was Light/Fang/Vanille. Auto-hasted Light with random chain potential and super strength beefed up Fang meant some mean damage out put. I usually went into battle with Commando/syn/syn to debuff, then a quick switch to Diversity (staple) rav/com/med to get a quick heal off if needed then relentless onslaught all the way. I don't even think I used sentinal until a few bosses right at the very end who just decide that you're going to be dead if you don't have a damage sponge. By the time I was forced into replacing Vanille with Hope to stack some buffs (Last boss forced my hand), that stagger meter was really quick to get up and almost an instant 999.99%, meaning aggression (com/com/rav) caused some massive damage output.

Though from what I hear from other people playing the game, my setup being dependent on debuffing/stagger building is an oddity among preferences.

Lightning and Sazh. I never know what to expect with Sazh, suddenly he says something funny or makes something serious into something amusing. It's very refreshing at times.

Lightning is awesome too, in almost every way.

atm in chapter 9 I think Vanille is the most interesting. I know a lot about the others already, now I want to know more about her!

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    So far Lightning is my favorite. She is a bad mutha. I like all the characters though.
    Lightening is mine. (in chapter 4 as of now). I really don't like Sazh. He seems like a cheap and generic Barret to me

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

Besides skin tone and guns I don't see any similarities between Sazh and Barrett, one is mostly light hearted and the other is always serious-business-angry. quite opposite of each other really.

The frocobo XD