Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Post Game) Oh Great, Ridiculous Sidequests - spoilers everywhere

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Default (Post Game) Oh Great, Ridiculous Sidequests - spoilers everywhere

So, I beat the game, wooo. This thread is for all post-game related info. I believe some of these bosses are ridiculously wicked, but I find the missions kind of mundane.

I love the final battle and how it ends - so including the ending of Final Fantasy XIII as well.

You think the sidequests are riddiculus, so easy. But that depends on how you fight your enemies and on your equipment. With the (SPOILER)Genji Glove and the "Highwind" technique of Fang you can easily deal 3 million damage points. Missions like 62 or 63 can be very hard if you just start the battle without any preparations. And of course for the "L'Cie Paragon" it is even harder to do some missions because you have to beat your mission monster with rank 5.

I don't care about trophies, I will probably play this game for a few more days and then be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    I don't care about trophies, I will probably play this game for a few more days and then be done with it.
    Who says I do care if you care about trophies? You have already told me three times now. You just say it is too easy/riddiculus and I tell you why it is not. Also you buy something and after one week you don't touch it anymore? Or will you play it again in a few months/years/whatever?

Well, the mark of a great game is how much controversy it stirs up in the fan base. Not entirely related, but I've just noticed lots of heated debate on FFXIII's awesome or fail factor on the internet.

Post-game is just there for anyone who isn't done with the world yet, which is an interesting twist on an old mechanic, leaving just about all the side-quests for only after the game is beaten that is. Obviously the hardest challenges of the game rest in this part of the game (it should go without saying that the initial onset of the sidequests post-13 is pretty easy, getting rank 5's can be annoying at times though).

Honestly, I'd play through the whole game again just for the cutscenes if my roommate wasn't already going to play through it.

Yeah, whenever I someday upgrade to a large-screen TV, I will probably replay this game. I got to play all of chapter 13 on a 50" 1080P TV and it was AWESOME.

I played the whole game on 46" 1080p. We didn't have HDMI cables until last week, I bought the best HDMI cable possible within price range that didn't have too much excess speed transfer (since well, I don't know of any applications that fully maximize the transfer speed capabilities yet, ended up going with 10.2 gbps, can't remember the other important details, but suffice to say it was a cable capable of handling all that fancy stuff).

And jeez. All I can say is that the HDMI cables are awesome in a box. By far the best purchase I've made for entertainment (one roommate bought the TV, the other had the ps3, so I got the better end of the deal in terms of affordability / use quota here!). FFXIII played in maximum quality possible is amazing. You would be accurate in saying that I picked up the cables specifically for this game (actually I think I bought it 5 hours before I picked up the game at the midnight release).

Quote Originally Posted by Siegurd View Post
    Well, the mark of a great game is how much controversy it stirs up in the fan base.
    That isn't true at all. A mark of a great game is how well it is remembered years after the hype. How much there is to do when finishing the game. Its story, its sidequests, its minigames, its replayability, its battle system ...to name a few things.

All controversy in the fanbase proves is that this game has had some severe problems, and it isn't just the fanbase that have wrote negatively about it.

Personally, I think, after analyzing the story of this game. There were a lot of open holes in the story. I don't think this was a game about story so much as it was a game about character and the development of that character.

When you kill the Pulse Fal'Cie, I didn't understand how that was possible. Barthandalus had said that Sanctum l'Cie could not harm Sanctum Fal'Cie; so then, how was the party of Pulse l'Cie able to kill the Pulse Fal'Cie in the tower... I dunno. I just think the story over-all didn't really make much sense. I just appreciated the development of the characters over time.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Barthy said that? I remember him saying that Sanctum fal'Cie couldn't destroy Sanctum because of their nature, which would lead one to believe they can't give their l'Cie a Focus of destroying Sanctum and by consequence Sanctum fal'Cie. However, I don't recall him every saying that about Pulse fal'Cie and their l'Cie.

(SPOILER)
    From what I understand Sanctum fal'Cie cannot destroy Sanctum. It is simply against their nature. While they might want to destroy it, their nature is to preserve Sanctum. It would follow that their l'Cie cannot be given a Focus that would contradict their nature or if they did they would be insta-Cie'th. This is shown in Chapter 13 where most of the Calvary is turned into Cie'th We do not know much about Sanctum l'Cie because the only living one is Dahj and his Focus was to protect the Sanctum fal'Cie by tracking the Pulse l'Cie. This reinforces the very fact that they cannot destroy Sanctum.

Now Sanctum itself is composed of a bunch of fal'Cie who are arranged into a hierarchy with Eden on top. All these fal'Cie work in concert to sustain and protect Sanctum. So a threat to one is to threaten Sanctum which means you are attacking them all.

On the other hand, we have Pulse fal'Cie whose goal is natural landscaping, more or less. Each Pulse fal'Cie has his own area of governance (Atmos is underground digging, Bismark is water, etc...). Whereas the Sanctum fal'Cie work in harmony to sustain Sanctum, the Pulse fal'Cie do not have such a hierarchy and work independently from one another. Like their Sanctum counterparts, they are protective of their sphere of influence (such as Bismark's reaction to your presence) but they do not have the same interdependent relationship.

Due to the independent nature of Pulse fal'Cie, it is possible that their l'Cie could kill another fal'Cie. Whereas a Sanctum l'Cie attacking another Sanctum fal'Cie would be a threat to all of Sanctum, the same is not true for Pulse fal'Cie. I would also argue that a l'Cie could not kill their own fal'Cie. Anima was not destroyed by your party. Perhaps weakened by it still had enough power to turn the lot of you into l'Cie before it crashed down and made pretty crystals!

anybody have tips for mark mission 62/64 my last 2. 62 kicked me in the arse and called me a spoony bard, so I'm not even going to try 64 yet.

Most of the marks are pretty easy ( though (SPOILER)gigantaur) was no joke.

I suggest you farm 63 (SPOILER)(adamantoise sullya springs) for gold/ingots to get alot of nice gear/cp, or else the bosses are rediculous.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No need to mark spoilers in this thread, folks - it's a post-game thread so all the plot should have been revealed to anyone reading it already!

I'm pretty sure TSoL is right in saying that fal'Cie can't damage Cocoon directly, while a pretty major point of what you get out of the major dialogue with Barty/Orphan is that humans have the power to do what they wish, which is something that fal'Cie (or at least Barty) crave. The power of fal'Cie is that they are, to some extent, immortal and insanely powerful (strength-wise). The power of humans is that they are capable of making whatever choice they wish regarding what they do with their life - the fal'Cie are tied to a specific role or purpose. With this in mind, the fal'Cie create l'Cie to do the things they are unable to do. Of course, humans being able to make choices means that the fal'Cie couldn't control them directly... they had to blackmail them into doing what they want by effectively saying "if you don't do it, I'll make you into a wandering monster."
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Do any of the side quests contribute anything to the plot? I know it's post game but in my funny little head the main purpose of sidequests is to find out those little gems, i.e. getting anima in FFX reveals a lot about seymours past/motivations etc

I will probs go run around gran pulse a little but the missions don't really appeal to me. I'm not a trophy hunting kinda person, although I was very please with myself that I got the superstar trophey without even trying!

Quote Originally Posted by docta fizz View Post
    anybody have tips for mark mission 62/64 my last 2. 62 kicked me in the arse and called me a spoony bard, so I'm not even going to try 64 yet.

Most of the marks are pretty easy ( though (SPOILER)gigantaur) was no joke.

I suggest you farm 63 (SPOILER)(adamantoise sullya springs) for gold/ingots to get alot of nice gear/cp, or else the bosses are ridiculous.
    The two Cie'th and the Adamantoise are more difficult than Venjingetrix. Venjingetrix has just 15 million Hit Points. For the two Cie'th you should equip weapons with the Lucky Stagger ability. And of course Fang with her ultimate weapon, the super move "Highwind" and the Genji Glove plus your strength + and defense - spells are just POWERFUL. With these things you can easily beat the Adamantoise for example for your gil and the Traphezodron item.

@Wonder: No, the missions do not have anything to do with the main story itself.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    No need to mark spoilers in this thread, folks - it's a post-game thread so all the plot should have been revealed to anyone reading it already!

I'm pretty sure TSoL is right in saying that fal'Cie can't damage Cocoon directly, while a pretty major point of what you get out of the major dialogue with Barty/Orphan is that humans have the power to do what they wish, which is something that fal'Cie (or at least Barty) crave. The power of fal'Cie is that they are, to some extent, immortal and insanely powerful (strength-wise). The power of humans is that they are capable of making whatever choice they wish regarding what they do with their life - the fal'Cie are tied to a specific role or purpose. With this in mind, the fal'Cie create l'Cie to do the things they are unable to do. Of course, humans being able to make choices means that the fal'Cie couldn't control them directly... they had to blackmail them into doing what they want by effectively saying "if you don't do it, I'll make you into a wandering monster."
    Makes sense.
    Definitely wasn't a perfect game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Heck i'm one of the few who actually liked FFXII, even though I do recognise its faults.

Onto the sidequests!

P.S There needed to be more Snow face punching in the second half of the game.