View Poll Results: Should Games go back to cartridges?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 20.83%
  • no

19 79.17%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: >> Should Games go back to cartridges?

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I'll try anyway. Of course I can't say for certain that playstation 4 cartridges won't fit in playstation 5, but it's a good guess. As technology progresses old cartridges won't have capacity enough to contain new games for new consoles and they may have to make different cartridges for the new consoles. See NES, SNES and N64 for reference. All produced by Nintendo, 3 different cartridges.

1- My biggest issue with cd/dvd/blu-ray is that those things get ruined too easily (money wasted in the end).
    True, cartridges last longer than discs. Although this never happens to me anyway. The last disc of mine that got scratched to death is Tekken 2, and that's 12 or so years ago.

3- Within a decade (probably far less), 50GB flash drives will be ass-cheap too.
    the size of the games in 10 years will increase too though. they've definitely increased a lot since the beginning of this decade.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Lightening View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I'll try anyway. Of course I can't say for certain that playstation 4 cartridges won't fit in playstation 5, but it's a good guess. As technology progresses old cartridges won't have capacity enough to contain new games for new consoles and they may have to make different cartridges for the new consoles. See NES, SNES and N64 for reference. All produced by Nintendo, 3 different cartridges.
    >>> If im not wrong the Nintendo DS used to be compatible with the Gameboy Advance carts..
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightening View Post
    1- My biggest issue with cd/dvd/blu-ray is that those things get ruined too easily (money wasted in the end).
    True, cartridges last longer than discs. Although this never happens to me anyway. The last disc of mine that got scratched to death is Tekken 2, and that's 12 or so years ago.
    >>> You must be very careful with your games then, personally almost all the games i have bought have become unusable (full of scratches and stuff), and that REALLY piss me off..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    No, no and no. Optical discs pretty much have the advantage over everything else thus far.
    >>> If someone creates an optical disc thats totally scratch proof, I will agree with you..
    (i voted yes)..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by black orb
    You have to be pretty careless to ruin any of them, especially Blu-Ray. Put them back in their case when you're done playing them. Otherwise you're just asking for any damage that may happen to them.
    >>> Well, I like to share my games with brothers, friends, etc. and some people like to rent games too, you cant expect that everyone is going to be extremely careful with their games. In the old days (NES/SNES) this was not an issue at all..
    Last edited by black orb; 03-16-2010 at 02:01 AM.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Who ever thought blurays would be scratch resistant?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why? I'm seriously curious. Because aside from taking a few minutes there is no downside I can think of. If it taking a few minutes is actually the issue for you then I recommend practicing patience. The longest install I've seen in the last few years was MGS4 and it was only 12 minutes. If you can't wait 12 minutes then there's something wrong with you.
    Install time + hard disk space
    Have you kept every game you've ever installed on your computer? I don't know anyone that does, I hear about people reinstalling games all the time. On every console I own I can just pop in the game and start playing.

Leave it to me to completely blank on the existence of flash drives momentarily. Still, flash isn't cheap enough yet to be viable, especially on the manufacturers end since it costs more to make. None of it matters since we will likely see digital distribution inside of ten years for every game, and solid state hard drives so read speed becomes an absolute non-issue (not that it's even one now). At that point, even if physical media is still around (which I fully admit it will be) you'll probably see it install completely on the hard drive anyway.
    It doesn't have to happen now, but it could be a possible alternative to optic discs sometime in the future.

Everyone knows you hit the cartridge against your leg to shake the dust out. Blowing in it just gets moisture all over the connectors.
    I know that, I never did it. Blowing on them gets saliva and bacteria on the connectors and is likely to rust the metal. I was reminded of this horrible habit by a Facebook group and I would like to see the return or carts so that people ruin their games again.

Hard copies don't, and likely never will, last forever. I say bring on digital distribution. I don't have enough space for this crap anymore.
    I didn't mean to say that a hard copy is indestructible or anything, but all of my games are in very good condition and likely will stay that way for at least the remainder of my life. I prefer having a hard copy over a digital copy.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Install time + hard disk space
    Have you kept every game you've ever installed on your computer? I don't know anyone that does, I hear about people reinstalling games all the time. On every console I own I can just pop in the game and start playing.
    Actually, yeah I do keep everything on my PC, but I have 1.5 TB's of hard drive space. Even if I wanted to delete something from my main drive I could back it up on my TB storage drive and move it back later. I do delete installs on my PS3, but only when I'm done with a game and probably won't play it for months or even years. Seriously, 10-15 minutes one time isn't really a big deal. I have no idea why some people get so bent out of shape about it.

I didn't mean to say that a hard copy is indestructible or anything, but all of my games are in very good condition and likely will stay that way for at least the remainder of my life. I prefer having a hard copy over a digital copy.
    I was being kind of tongue in cheek there which I guess didn't come through. But I do want digital distribution, with the ability to make a backup for convenience preferably.

Quote Originally Posted by black orb
    >>> Well, I like to share my games with brothers, friends, etc. and some people like to rent games too, you cant expect that everyone is going to be extremely careful with their games. In the old days (NES/SNES) this was not an issue at all..
    This is why I don't lend games to people I can't trust to take care of them. And that includes cartridge games. You'd be surprised what can happen to them because some people are careless.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Should they? No. Do I want them too? Yes, purely for nostalgic value. But realistically, not going to happen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No, purely because the last thing I need is more different storage sizes. While I don't look forward to not having a physical copy of a game in my hand, I do look forward to not having to find storage for all of them. Storage is a pretty big issue for anyone living in a small flat in Europe, I imagine.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I'd rather buff out a scratch or two than make myself dizzy blowing on a cartridge :kaodizzy:

What the hell is wrong with you people that you have scratches all over your discs? If it's either in the console or in the case, it's not getting scratched.

Rather than b**ch about the durability of discs learn some personal responsibility. Sure, some of you might have younger siblings... teach them responsibility. Or, wait until you're out of the house, buy your own console and your own games and don't scratch them the smurf up.

Hell, I've still got tons of PS1 games that I can see myself smoothly in their black surfaces because I took care of them.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Some of us were stupid children when we got our PS1 games

I merely meant that I manage to take care of discs that are now about 15 years old. My point is, if you're old enough to post on this forum then you should be old enough to take care of your s**t.

If you pour gas onto a couch and then toss a match at it you don't get to complain about the manufacturer making it too flammable.

If instead of putting the games in their cases you leave them in a pile on the floor next to the console then you can't complain about the scratches.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

W-.....what? Smurf no.
    Take care of the damn discs.
    Personally I take care of my things, although I didn't when I had a Ps2 because that damn thing didn't read them half the time due to some fat idiot sitting on it. If I buy a used Xbox 360 game and its damaged I either take it right back or I see if it plays, that smurfing thing played a copied disc of Heavy Metal 2 and that was the worst scratched disc I've ever seen.

...and yeah I actually watched HM2...

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    No, purely because the last thing I need is more different storage sizes. While I don't look forward to not having a physical copy of a game in my hand, I do look forward to not having to find storage for all of them. Storage is a pretty big issue for anyone living in a small flat in Europe, I imagine.
    >>> Dude, I can carry like 5 flash drives in just one of my jeans pockets..
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Rather than b**ch about the durability of discs learn some personal responsibility.
    Sure, some of you might have younger siblings... teach them responsibility. Or, wait until you're out of the house, buy your own console and your own games and don't scratch them the smurf up.
    >>> So now I have to teach my younger siblings responsibility because of the ineptitude of the gaming industry? man, Im paying for their games so they better create something really good and they better do it fast, and i dont really care if the games get more expensive..

Are you seriously going to argue that the onus is on them to make up for your inability to care for your things? You claim they are inept at making things but what about your ineptitude at taking care of things. Discs are the standard. The companies are not out to get you with their fragile little games.

Is it really hard to put the games back in the case?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Again, I never had this problem with my NES and SNES games, no need to put them back to their cases because the games were always inside its case.
    Optical disks are not suited for videogames, they are ok for music or movies because thats stuff you watch/hear occasionally, but videogames is something you use almost everyday, with 100+ hours of gameplay, etc, not to mention that most of them are targeted to children/teenagers and these folks really like to abuse things..