Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did you go to University?

Default Where did you go to University?

I assume most of the people on here went to/are in/are planning to go to University and I thought it'd be interesting to find out where we all went and what we studied.

I graduated last summer from the University of Glasgow with an MA in History (queue jokes) and quite honestly feel that it was a total waste of my time. So what about the rest of you?

Oh and to add a bit of fun to the thread I thought we could find where our universities are ranked, according to the Times of course, and whoever went to the 'best' school wins a special prize. I don't think they've published the 2010 rankings so I went with the 2009 one which can be found here: Times Higher Education

According to The Times my school is ranked 79th. What about yours? I should also mention that I don't believe these rankings are in any way reflective of how 'good' or 'bad' a school is and put no stock in them whatsoever. I don't know what criteria the schools in this list were judged on and, well, I don't care. It's not as easy as just saying this school is better than that one. I just thought it'd be a bit of fun.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Currently I'm at the Eindhoven University of Technology, working on a MSc. in Applied Physics.

My school's ranking changes every year. Usually in the top 100 somewhere though.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Bachelor's in Computer Science: Fort Lewis College
    Master's in Computer Science: Sam Houston State University - Texas - Carnegie Research Doctoral Univ
    Figaro Castle

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

University of Maryland, College Park: tied rank 122/123. Intended major: double degree in Fire Protection Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, May 2012 (B.S.). In current events, the tuition freeze is supposed to end, which means I'll have to pay more next year and on, but fortunately, I'll be out of here in no time soon.

Nottingham Trent in the UK, Bsc in Computer System (Networks) final year this october
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Linnaeus University. I don't have a clue about that ranking stuff, but I'm enjoying my education.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Manchester, 26th in 2009. Which is cool.

Although I fail to understand how Cambridge doesn't trump Harvard on that list when it has a higher average score.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Either because the opinion of students and those from out of the country don't matter, or because Harvard is somehow helping to pay for this. Or a combination of both.

That being said, it's just of list of overall prestige. If you really care about your career, you'd focus more on that aspect of the school, and where that institution stands. For example, an engineering school wants to rank highest in engineering publications, to hell with general education.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went to California State University, San Bernardino. It's basically a factory for teachers and is mostly a commuter school, nothing super fun or impressive. I got a BA in Psychology, another one in Human Development, and a multiple subject teaching credential. I also worked at the infant daycare on campus.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

uark.edu (the actual campus )

I actually wore my college of engineering shirt today! wooooooo pig sooiee

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    That being said, it's just of list of overall prestige. If you really care about your career, you'd focus more on that aspect of the school, and where that institution stands. For example, an engineering school wants to rank highest in engineering publications, to hell with general education.
    Oh yeah, I know. I just found it funny. xD

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm gonna have gone to a record of 3 different universities for my undergrad.

Freshman Year: University of Rhode Island
    (fairly average school, but I quite enjoyed it - way overpriced for out of state students though)

Sophomore Year: University of Reading
    (Studied abroad for the year to this univeristy in the UK. It's fairly , though it has a high ranking, which goes to show what that ranking system actually amounts to. Let's hope I graduate on time, considering how royally this school has dicked me over in regards to the classes I weren't able to take, despite being promised them when signing up as a study abroad students)

Junior Year: ????
    (Still waiting on the acceptance of two schools I've transferred to in my area. One I was accepted to in advanced because they were so impressed with my graded, apparently. The other is probably the most prestigious school (which is the say, it's a pretty good school, but it's nothing Ivy League-esqu... which is good, because I a sooo done with these fancy up their ass highly rated schools which end up being because they don't HAVE to actually improve to keep up) in the area, so I have to wait longer on my transfer acceptance, but I'm fairly certain I got in, because I have a 3.9 GPA.)

My Mom says I must get a mug from each university I go to. She's going to have a vast collection by the time I'm done.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Manchester, 26th in 2009. Which is cool.

Although I fail to understand how Cambridge doesn't trump Harvard on that list when it has a higher average score.
    Name all the Universities you know, regardless of where they are. 90% chance they are on the list. That's just it, Everyone knows Harvard, so it doesn't really matter how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post

(Studied abroad for the year to this univeristy in the UK. It's fairly , though it has a high ranking, which goes to show what that ranking system actually amounts to. Let's hope I graduate on time, considering how royally this school has dicked me over in regards to the classes I weren't able to take, despite being promised them when signing up as a study abroad students
    Ha you sound just like my girlfriend. She studied abroad in the UK and didn't have too many nice things to say about it. Still we got to spend 10 months together (five in the UK, five in the US) so it was worth it.

Also, if you go to four different universities for your four undergrad years, who issues the degree? Your post got me thinking. I guess it'd be the final year institution, never thought about that before.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

USC doesn't make the list

In defense of USC though, it's younger than I am. So of course everyone is going to be predisposed to thinking it's . I get the endless rants about how good sandstone universities are, but I went to the University of Queensland Open Day and yeah the sandstone was nice, but the rooms were dirty and old and if you looked at the roof of the walkways, there was mould and spiderswebs everywhere.

Stick your sandstone and fancy ratings, I'll take my beach locale and "inferior" courses anyday. After all, my "inferior" journalism course is the only one in the state that mentions the internet. But the internet isn't an important journalistic tool now is it?