Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Games that actually make you feel for the characters...

The cast of Uncharted 2 is one of the best out there, and I cared about everyone (well, except the "big bad", but eh). If you don't feel for Nate in the first two minutes, just shut the game off, it's lost on you. :P

Final Fantasy X always resonated strongly with me, and in FFXIII I absolutely love Snow, but my favorite character in the whole series is FFXII's Basch. "If I could spare but one person from war's horror, I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly." Whereas most characters in the series are varying shades of selfish (which always makes for interesting character clashes), Basch struck me as being the most selfless. He was kind, strong, and willing to do what was right no matter the cost on himself.

I'm tired, so I'm going to let this degrade into a list of other games that had characters that strongly affected me:

--Okami
    --Ico
    --Shadow of the Colossus
    --Vagrant Story
    --Beyond Good & Evil
    --Psychonauts
    --The Legacy of Kain Series
    --Suikoden II
    --Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    --Digital Devil Saga (1 and 2)
    --Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    Games that actually make you feel for the characters...
    Marco Polo?
    I cried aloud with mirth and merriment!

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where to begin!

Final Fantasy VIII - Squall & Rinoa. I replayed FFVIII to a finish several months ago & I found myself totally engrossed in the development of their relationship. The "Eyes on Me" scene & the ending go down as some of my favorite in any game I have ever played!

Final Fantasy IX - Vivi. God do I ever love this little guy & his journey to find himself through the game. I mean aren't we all searching for our place in the world?

Final Fantasy X & X-2 - Yuna. I have to say I felt connected with Yuna's character throughout both games. Her plight as a Summoner being destined to die to save the world & falling in love with someone & knowing they can never be with you. Powerful stuff!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Naked Snake/Big Boss. The emotional roller coaster Naked Snake endures in MGS3 is nothing short of epic! Seemingly betrayed by his mentor The Boss at the end of Virtuous Mission, then being sent to kill her, killing her & finding out her true motives. The ending scene where he sheds a tear at her grave site, the first time I saw it I can honestly say I was close to tears myself!

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots - Old Snake. Snake is to me an iconic fictional character but its his journey in MGS4 where my heart really goes out to him. The rapid aging, Meryl moving on with her life, FOXDIE, finding the mother you never knew you had, losing her getting burned in the process, seeing Shadow Moses again, watching Raiden get crushed, crawling through the microwave corridor, the final battle with Liquid, seeing Big Boss again & finally know the truth about the Patriots. Just epic!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Portal-God the cube! THE COMPANION CUBE! <3

Persona II, III, and IV-The characters are "regular" people for the most parts, and as you struggle and build relationships with them, you feel for them.

Heavy Rain-Watching Ethan (SPOILER)cut of his own finger is very hard to watch, especially since (I played him as) a very nice guy.

Baldur's Gate II-Building up a romantic relationship with a character only to (SPOILER)kill him/her is one if the hardest things ever.

Final Fantasy VI, IX, and XIII-These characters are truly great, making them some of my favorites in the series.

I'm probably the only one who feels this way but I developed an emotional connection with Bastila Shan when I began playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. At first I felt a little sad when she insulted me in the beginning, but as time went on I found myself laughing at her irked demeanour. She would get so angry and embarrassed when I flirted with her. Bastila eventually apologized for her childish behavior but that didn't stop me from teasing her. I decided to let her know that her temper-tantrums made life difficult for me and that it was too little too late for an apology. The dialogue that ensued next is my favorite throughout the entire video game.

"I see. Is there nothing I could do to make it up to you? I rather we were friends..."

"Oh? Just how close a friend would you like to be?"

"I...You know I can't feel that way about you. About any man. It isn't permitted. I am a Jedi. I must resist these temptations."

"But I still want to consider you a friend. We could never be anything more though that isn't...that isn't allowed."

"I'd like that I suppose."

outside FF I haven't played many games where the characters aren't just puppets that gets me from point A to point B. The only one that springs to mind is Heavy Rain

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I wish there were a Twilight game so there could be trolls and arguments and stuff. Life ain't what it used to be.
    Be careful what you wish for

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I wish there were a Twilight game so there could be trolls and arguments and stuff. Life ain't what it used to be.
    Be careful what you wish for
    Oh GAWD. And I thought the WoWtards were bad.