Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aah Real Monsters!

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I did a lot of breeding and poaching of my own monsters, so I used Mediators a lot. In addition there are several points like learning Zodiac and finding rare treasure with Move-Find where lowering Faith or Brave came in handy.

Reis is underutilized unless you have at least one Dragon ally, but I found my favorite monsters in battle were Tiamats: flight, three way attacks, insane physical power, plus a long range (if random) attack.

Sucks that Tiamats can't use their high PA unless they Counter... Tri-Breath is based on Max HP, Tri-Flame/Thunder are MA...
    Aurora, exhale bloody air! Dark Holy!

Contributions

They're so broken it hardly matters. Fortunately there aren't very many battles where they're on the enemy side.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I believe that there was a series of threads on GameFAQs where all monsters were deemed inferior to human characters with the exception of certain monsters under the care of Reis.

This sounds about right. I imagine that a dragon near Reis could become more powerful due to the battle mechanics.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Given that you're only allowed a certain number of characters to deploy, I wouldn't find it that helpful to "sacrifice" two of those positions for Reis and a creature that only becomes beneficial when Reis is near. Sounds like too many limitations, personally.

Contributions

What monsters lack is versatility. Even generic humans have more flexibility. I tend to avoid using monsters in boss fights for this reason.

Reis' most useful abilities are the dragon breath attacks, which do not require an ally dragon. The rest of her primary skillset are wasted without dragons, but not by much.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by oddler View Post
    Given that you're only allowed a certain number of characters to deploy, I wouldn't find it that helpful to "sacrifice" two of those positions for Reis and a creature that only becomes beneficial when Reis is near. Sounds like too many limitations, personally.
    I would not necessarily look at the slot that Reis takes up as a sacrificial slot in the sense that Reis is a regular human unit and has the versatility that BG-57 mentioned. I, personally, only use the special characters for the course of the entire game except for Chapter 1, occasionally, so this is the only thing that would make sense for me, I think.

Otherwise, being able to recruit and attack with monsters becomes more of a trivial thing to me.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

I used the Tiamat version of the Hydra's a bit in a few playthroughs, they can put out some decent damage and i was breeding them and other Hydra types for the Poaching stuff anyways.

I've used a Red Chocobo for quite a while. He was very useful in lieux of my allies who were gone on jobs.
    I must admit, I only got him from Boco.
    Otherwise, I only charm and breed monsters in order to poach them for .

Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or blame God.