Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aah Real Monsters!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Dancing Chocobo Aah Real Monsters!

Let's talk trained monsters. I want to know if anyone actually took the time to charm and raise a monster in this game to the point where there was actually a point in using them in place of a human character. Has anyone actually done this and found it better that way?

Side note... Mediator is the suckiest job, in my opinion. I hate using monsters in battle so there's no reason for me to learn how to charm them. The only reason they're any decent at all is because they can equip guns and you have Mustadio or Chemists for that! Bah.

I can't say I have ever used a monster before, actually. Nor have I used any non generic characters beyond obligatory Ramza, actually!

Boko never gains acceptance into my party. We don't stoop. :|

(And Mediators are fun! Silly fun!)

Default Black and red chocobos..

I had a couple of those in my party once...

I think that's about it.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought this was going to be about the show. Then I realized it's in FF Tactics. Either way, I am deeply disappointed. Using Behemoths is pretty cool.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I experimented with this my first time through the game when I was trying out every new job available. I haven't bothered since.

Sometimes when I play, I send out 2 chocobos and the rest generic+Ramza, and I have 2 Knight generics ride the chocos.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I like the mediator class

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually love Mediators and they are great for altering Bravery and Faith stats.

On topic...

I do use Chocobos cause I love watching my knights and Dragoons ride them and the movement boost is a major thumbs up. Byblos is also pretty decent considering your get him so late in the game. Behemoths and Dragons would be fun to use in a party but mostly I use monsters to have a never ending supply of poaching material.

The PSP version gives you even more of an incentive to use them thanks to Luso's innate skills and the fact that you need a specific monster if you want to get the insane stat bonuses from the Mastered Onion Knight Job class.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It's a shame that there wasn't a breed of Chocobo that sacrificed offensive ability for movement ability. When you have all of your characters equiped with Fly or Move +3 it really diminishes the advantage you can gain from riding a chocobo.

Which is unfortunate, I though the ability to ride chocobos was one of the coolest things in the game. Its a crying shame it wasn't more practical to just have the chocobo act independently.

When I first started I used a party with two Red Chocobos in it. With their mobility, range and stopping power they could always get into position and start picking of the squishies causing problems in the back. Dual ChocoMeteors will finish of most non physical classes, and their movement abilities usualy allow them to get to places where they can strike at vulnerable targets and keep themselves safe.

As fun as having my chocobo hit squad run around in circles decimating the enemy force the problem with monster characters (to me) is that they don't require any maintenance in the menu. To me half of the game is learning abilities, getting new equipment, figuring out new builds, etc... With monster characters you don't get to do that.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I agree that "monster" classes needed more customization and available abilities. That probably would've made them much more appealing to me. I sort of had the same mindset concerning the game being based on the strategy of which abilities you learned and how you utilized them. Not many options to make this really possible with "monsters". Eh.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I actually love Mediators and they are great for altering Bravery and Faith stats.

Agreed. Nothing better than turning your target into a chicken

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Or, you know, kill them. :awesome:

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Turning them to chickens is more amusing

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

People, People. No need to fight.

The obvious compromise is to turn them into chickens, then kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiesaur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Agreed. Nothing better than turning your target into a chicken
    I would use them on my characters too to raise their Bravery/Faith stats. Although they don't last beyond the battle, they do increase slightly so that I can basically make an amazing BlackMage/Summoner with powerful Magic attacks. And I agree that Red Chocobos are quite useful.