Thread: FFX Monster Recycling

Default FFX Monster Recycling

Was it utterly boring? Did you mind at all that every area was basically a rinse+recolor+repeat of every other?

Well, it certainly wasn't exciting! For some reason, it didn't bother me as much as it should have. I guess I was just preoccupied perfecting my weird sphere grid plans to care too much about monster diversity. After all, recycling did help to keep the balance of usefulness between the character types in check (ie black magic, speed, tanking were never utterly useless for long periods of time).

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

No, because then the game wouldn't have been very balanced for any of the character types. Unlike other FFs, this one actually encouraged you to use all of your characters.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Yes, that was one of the things I didn't like about the game. If they had more types and at least some more difference between the iterations (like XII did) I wouldn't mind at all.

It's a time-honored tradition: The Palette-Swap. It's even used for heroes... look at Ken, Ryu, and the dork.

Aww. Memories... that I loathe.

it certainly could have added some more diversity, while keeping all your characters useful.

For instance, instead of just having different coloured flans, why not try something different.......like:
    CRAZY SQUID!!

instead of water flan.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It tied together with the monster arena collecting though

Each individual monster throughout the Final Fantasy series now officially has at least XIV incarnations (no 16 if you count Tactics Advance and Crystal Chronicles and 17 if you count Vagrant Story) that could be used in future games. Granted, a lot of them would have to be re-rendered but there'd still be a heavy focus on diversity.

I didn't mind really. If you compare it to other FF, most regular battles didn't require any tactics, you can just attack them until they die. In X, you have to take into account the defense, evasion, and magic defense of an opponent before you take them on.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

I could see early on that they were re-using ALOT from FFX so it didn't bother me that much. There were still some new models, and it's to be expected if it's the same world that it has the same fiends.

If you have low expectations, you can't be disappointed.
    jkhkjg

Blog Entries

I thought this thread would be a theory about how "monster creation" works and how the monster arena guy was some kind of doctor frankenstien
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!