21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay! ^_^

9 42.86%
  • Nay!! X_X

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF VI the sequel

Default FF VI the sequel

Sounds kinda lame but if they can make a sequel with VII, and IV..I don't see any reason why they can't do it with six....

I could imagine that old characters and new ones would try to recreate a world of balance once again or a Kefka wannabe wanting to keep everything in misery.

But these days it always a monkey making business to produce a sequel..

Yay or Nay for VI sequel..

HOTROD
    "Lets go for a spin you and I"

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Nay

I think FFVI wrapped up the story of that world nicely. Magic disappeared and everyone moved on with their life.

As others have said before, I think there is a lot more to be done with a prequel regarding the War of the Magi 1000 years in the past.
    Figaro Castle

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I don't approve of the sequels to IV,VII or X, so I'm going with no. The story was wrapped up well.

Square went in another direction. They couldn't write another 6 if they had to.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that VI was an amazing game, and a sequel would be a mistake. Now, like FM said, a prequel is another story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, I clicked yay!, but I did so thinking more of an ova-type approach (not a full fledged movie like Advent Children, just something showing them rebuilding their lives, kinda like the Persona 4 Radio Drama.)
    Returners Represent!

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

If I thought they could do it well, I'd love to see an OVA sequel... but I couldn't stand V's (semi) sequel OVA Legend of the Crystals. Was that what it was called? I've forgotten and I'm too lazy to look it up.

A prequel during the War of the Magi would be amazing, but I agree with bipper. These aren't the same people who made VI and I'd hate to see them ruin a good thing.

Then again, I should play FFIV: The After Years before I say anything about that. If they were to do any sort of prequel/sequel/whatever in game form I'd love for them to do it with the same graphics just as they did in IV:TAY.

Blog Entries

Ive said it many times but i would like to see a musical based on the opera scene set 1000 years in the past during the war of the magi.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

A prequel would be more my thing. I love VI, but it's clear cut. I don't want them screwing with my ending!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't mind a prequel if I felt SE could do it (I don't think they can though) but unlike everyone else here, I don't want it to be set in War of the Magi but rather one set 10 years before and deals with Kefka and the Empire. I think a drama giving more backstory to the Empire would be really interesting as well as showing off what the other characters were doing before the war.

Contributions

Only problem with that idea is lack of action. Not every story lends itself well to being an RPG. There has to be dungeons and a progressions of enemies you encounter that become continually stronger.

Something like you describe is probably too long for an movie, so looks like a book is the only real way to tell that story in the manner it deserves.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wasn't actually thinking of a game to be honest, I should have made myself more clear. Still, I think a film would actually do well (preferably animated so SE doesn't feel obligated to add Wire-Fu or "wow" moments) as I don't see the story needing to go into too much detail with some characters as most of the VI cast will most likely be children in this time frame not to mention characters like Cyan wouldn't be doing anything terribly important.

The only issue would be whether to use it as a platform for telling Shadow's story. I'd personally rather not deal with it as I feel the game details his past in a way very fitting for the character. Too much detail would ruin the allure of the character. So I feel if we stuck mostly to Terra, Celes, Kefka, Cid and Leo; it could build a strong story narrative and leave the other characters to simple fan service shout outs.

Though thinking about it more, I could see a game being built around the scenario, just make sure not to make the same mistake as Crisis Core and try to build it into some "grand adventure that took place before the other grand adventure". A game focused as a character piece exploring these five characters could make a compelling story even if the title didn't have a major villain or major world shattering conflict. The real drama for the player would simply be knowing how it would all end when it finally jumps into FFVI.

I think this has been the major weakness in all the sequels/prequels SE has made is that they try to write stories that are considered to be on the same world crisis scale of the originals when I feel a simpler character piece would satiate most fans.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I think this has been the major weakness in all the sequels/prequels SE has made is that they try to write stories that are considered to be on the same world crisis scale of the originals when I feel a simpler character piece would satiate most fans.
    Absolutely. I know 'Final Fantasy' is just a name, but the earlier stories all feel like they are the greatest event to ever befall their respective worlds. Adding prequels and sequels dilutes the impact of the original story.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Absolutely. I know 'Final Fantasy' is just a name, but the earlier stories all feel like they are the greatest event to ever befall their respective worlds. Adding prequels and sequels dilutes the impact of the original story.
    Agree'd. It's kind of like "OH MY GOSH THE WORLD IS GOING TO END yay we saved it!" and then "oh, we saved the world, BUT IT'S IN DANGER AGAIN OH MY okay we saved it again yay, but man, if that happens again, I'm so retiring early "

Too much of a good thing can be bad.

I would love a prequel! I agree with most of everyone else, the story was wrapped up rather nicely. Plus I wouldn't want my characters effed with.