Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leveling system... brutal.

I honestly think people should stop being so obsessed with the glitch and try playing the game the way it was intended.
    I've made it to Pandemonium now and the only time I even used a glitch was to level up the Heal spell quicker, and only because I couldn't find any good reason to use it and needed it at LV5 since I was about to enter the Whirlwind (where you constantly get turned to Stone).
    I never used a single Save State either, the game is definitely beat-able without the glitch if you know what you're doing.

Trust me, the game is so much more fun when you feel that your stats raise naturally.
    If you have problems with a dungeon, just exit, rest and re-enter, and do it until you are strong enough to make it to the boss.

I will submit a glitch-free guide for this game on Gamefaqs soon, where I will give advice on good leveling spots and strategies instead of mentioning the glitch (and the cheap Blood Sword strategy, for that matter) everywhere (because I'm honestly really tired of those kinds of guides, it's like getting the advice to use Knights of Round on Sephiroth).

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

To be honest, the leveling system is why FFII is the only Final Fantasy I haven't completed. It's original for sure, and I give Square credit there, but after I lost my progress halfway through a game, I haven't had the heart to start all over again and make it very far.

Exploiting the glitch gets around this, but it's also not very fun; it's not enjoyable to button mash select cancel over and over, and that also feels cheap.

I'm not saying it's a bad per se, but just not fun for me
    Grab the opportunities life hands you, that's my motto!

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    I honestly think people should stop being so obsessed with the glitch and try playing the game the way it was intended.
    I've made it to Pandemonium now and the only time I even used a glitch was to level up the Heal spell quicker, and only because I couldn't find any good reason to use it and needed it at LV5 since I was about to enter the Whirlwind (where you constantly get turned to Stone).
    I never used a single Save State either, the game is definitely beat-able without the glitch if you know what you're doing.

Trust me, the game is so much more fun when you feel that your stats raise naturally.
    If you have problems with a dungeon, just exit, rest and re-enter, and do it until you are strong enough to make it to the boss.

I will submit a glitch-free guide for this game on Gamefaqs soon, where I will give advice on good leveling spots and strategies instead of mentioning the glitch (and the cheap Blood Sword strategy, for that matter) everywhere (because I'm honestly really tired of those kinds of guides, it's like getting the advice to use Knights of Round on Sephiroth).
    I have never used the glitch. I just found the gameplay completely, mind-bogglingly boring due to the poor levelling system.

The basic idea, that you use something in combat enough, it gets stronger, is a nice idea. In implementation, it turned out horrendous. Since it isn't just use of a spell or attack, but number of uses per combat, that denotes the level up, maxing spells and abilities is nearly impossible without some grinding that makes FFVIII's drawing magic to 100 seem positively fun in comparison.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Its not as bad as people think, part of the issue is that people get too hung up on leveling magic and weapon skills which are the most time consuming elements in the game but oddly enough there are either easy short cuts to raising their levels or ways to get the most impact out of low levels. The other issue I've noticed which is normal for highly exploitable systems is that people feels its necessary to max out stats when really just having a 30-50 mark is more than enough to complete the game.

Weapon skills can be leveled quickly without the glitch by simply equipping the same weapon on a character twice. This works for everything but Bows and fists but bows get outclasses by duel damage weapons and the fist is more reliant on your strength stat than the weapons proficiency. You don't need to max weapons to 16, Level 5 is pretty adequate.

Stats are not as hard to raise and level up more frequently due to a number of factors. Its actually Squares inability to explain your armor's impact on leveling and stats that causes the game to be a headache.

Here's the big secret about magic. The levels are important but only if you want heavy armor. Every piece of equipment in the game has an impact on your magic stats through a hidden stat that never shows up sad to say but the logic makes it easier to decipher what equipment is good. Basically equipping your mage with swords and armor reduces the effectiveness of magic. Equipping rods and robes doesn't. The best swords and armor in the game will knock your magics power back to 1 if you are not careful. Likewise, you will be pleasantly surprised how much damage you do if you get enough of the negative armor off your mage which will make the spells low levels much more effective. The only issue I should warn you is that II has a very different idea of what is considered "mage type equips" so in the beginning you may have to have your mages nearly naked cause their are very few helms and accessories that mages can wear without compromising magic power.

Speed has a similar issue where less is more. You character will never get fast if they are equipped with heavy armor or using lances and axes. You need fast items like knives and staffs.

Basically, if you want to play the game right without exploiting the glitch, the real idea is to pre-plan the classes you want to build the characters into and then equip them properly for it. There is actually not as much room for versatility in the game as people believe there is to be, without exploiting the glitch.

II was an easy game, and I actually found III to be much more difficult. I think the problem people have with II is that they don't specialize their characters. Because stats go down as well as up in this game, it is important to make sure your characters aren't nerfed from being spread too thin.
    I made Maria my sole caster... She took care of buffs, debuffs, healing, and magic damage... She was always casting magic so her magic power, MP, and spell levels kept up with the pace without the need to grind... Everyone else I just made into pure fighters :P Strength, HP, weapon levels... The Emperor was cake.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.