Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leveling system... brutal.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Leveling system... brutal.

Nathan Explosion would agree with me on this one folks. The leveling system is fun and quirky when you start to play this wonderful PSP remake, but later...when you actually want to take down that malevolent bastard Emperor, your skills are hopelessly too low.

So I don't have to constantly walk around monster smashing a, I use the 'Beat the out of your characters and revive them endlessly' technique with a few Goblin monsters around the first town.

Do you personally enjoy the leveling system? What lvling tech. do you use?

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I did happen to enjoy the leveling system. To me, it's the most practical of all systems: You want to be good at figthing, then click the fight button; black magic? Use it. But I said practical, not fun. We all see what Square did with the next battle system in FFIII(extreme overhaul anybody?). There were just too many jobs/job levs in III that I hardly found it enjoyable while playing. (V's system was better, Tactic's was the best).

But ya, I thought it was very easy to level, not so easy to want to non-stop continue to do so. But I beat the crap out of the last dungeon's bosses, so I guess I did it right. Two blood swords rule!!!
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

I really enjoyed the leveling system when I played FFII, though I never did finish the game as I lost both the cartridge and the console! As such, I can't really comment on how the system worked late in the game, but it was fun enough to play through the middle. Once you had a strategy down, it was rather mind-numbing, I admit, to level the certain stat, but since I was playing DoS on my GBA, that was okay. GBA can sit beside you as you do something else!

I can't say I remember any technique I used besides attack self, heal self, repeat!

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I find myself quite enjoying the leveling up system, tbh. It's more of a challenge, and it helps this one stand out from the others.

I loved the system during the first hours of the game, because then you can still exit and reenter dungeons after healing everyone without too much of a hazzle.
    But it gets pretty ridiculous when you're supposed to use HEAL like a hundred times to survive the endless Cursing later on - and it really gets brutal at the Mysidia Cave, where you seriously will need HEAL at LV6, otherwise you can fill the menu screen with all the Softs you want and still end up Petrify-Game Overed.

I think FFII is the only game where the method of abusing the levelling system is NOT fun. The idea behind it was genius, but the implementation didn't work out very well. Take a run at Grandia, and see what a REAL battle system is like. Oh and, the voice-overs at the very beginning of the game can be painful, but you get used to it as the game progresses.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

Was there a change from the original, the GBA version, and the PSP version?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

it's only brutal until you learn that in FF II killing yourself is a GOOD thing.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    it's only brutal until you learn that in FF II killing yourself is a GOOD thing.
    That kinda hurts the feeling of completion IMO.
    It's more fun when you actually deserve all the stat boosts you get in the game.

But of course there are moments when you pretty much have to cheat-level, for example when you desperately need HEAL at LV6 in the Mysidia Cave;
    I'm not running around the world hoping to get Poisoned and Cursed and stuff like 300 times just to get it to that Level.
    It would be much better if HEAL gained about 10 points or so per use, 2 points is ridiculously low for such a spell.

The levelling system, IMO, was very good and original. It didn't find it too hard to get strong, in fact, on the PSX version there was an exploit. (It think it had been removed got taken from the GBA version, not too sure about the PSP version)

And Laurelindo, I think it's fine that Heal goes up slowly cos it is the most commonly used spell in FF II.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    Laurelindo, I think it's fine that Heal goes up slowly cos it is the most commonly used spell in FF II.
    Hm, I don't know.
    It worked fine on the way to LV2, because you actually got Poisoned and Darked often enough to make it level up before the enemies started to love Curse, but it was a way too large leap to the other status magics later in the game.

I guess the game is designed so you need to fight lots of enemies in order to survive in Mysidia land, and therefore inevitably will have a good use for the spell lots of times.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

I really don't like it. Kudos to Square for being experimental, but sadly FF2 is my least favorite FF and the level system is largely why.
    jkhkjg

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    I really don't like it. Kudos to Square for being experimental, but sadly FF2 is my least favorite FF and the level system is largely why.
    It's actually quite enjoyable if you know how to use it.
    For example, your HP will supposedly go up faster if you equip heavy armour, and the increases will be greater if you fight high-level enemies (in other words - tough enemies ) - I love fighting the guards in Phin town before heading for Mysidia.
    It's also a good idea to bring some Cottages with you so you can EXIT a dungeon and heal your characters, so further HP and MP increase parameters will register.

I would recommend you to level up ICE in the beginning of the game (chiefly for those Adamantines), then go for FIRE (for the Ice Cave) and BOLT and AERO after that (for the sea monsters and the Stalactites around Deist);
    also make sure to level up CURE, LIFE, HEAL and FAST, this makes the game a lot easier.
    Last edited by *Laurelindo*; 04-02-2010 at 06:50 PM.

I'm surprised by all the love for FF II's leveling system actually. For the longest time, it seemed like I was one of the likely 2~3 people on these forums that genuinely enjoyed it.

Blog Entries

I always struggled with leveling early on, rather than later. I would find that I'd stray too far off and end up in battles against enemies that I really shouldn't be running into!
    But I agree with you, killing off atleast two of your characters so that the other two can level and vice versa is probably the best tactic there is.
    It's a shame that some of the more recent Final Fantasies don't have that same amount of hard work in the leveling system.

'Both Gya hah hah and Kya hah hah, are up to something.'