Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How have your tastes in gaming changed over the years?

I like almost everything, although I tend to steer away from FPS and sport games. That doesn't mean that there aren't any games in those genres out there that I don't like, though.

My taste has probably become more open over the years.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, besides playing shooters now, I think not much has changed. I use to like Zelda, I still do. I used to like RPG's, I still do.

Only thing that has really changed is that I never play soccer games anymore.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like most genres or at least can be talked into playing most types of games. I think lately I've established a bit of a renaissance with my first gaming love which is Fighting Games. a lot of arcades have suddenly opened up here so I've been having a huge nostalgic flashback going back into the arcade scene.

My only new obsessions have been rhythm games, they didn't exist back in the day but I totally adore most of them.

As for RPGs, I think the big differences is that I show more discretion and caution with them. Back in the 16-bit days, I'd unquestionably buy a title from the genre just to see what it was like cause it was super rare to have RPGs in the old days. Now that the flood gates have opened, I've been exposed to more of the sub-par shovelware of the genre so now I investigate a title more than I used to before purchase.

In all honesty though, that's really how it is with most genres for me nowadays. I probably do more background checks on titles now then in the past, not only because of the availability of the information but mostly because the market is so much bigger now than it was in the past it seems.

Since the first Dragon Warrior, I've been in love with RPGs. My tastes haven't really changed but I have expanded my tastes within the RPG genre. There was a time when I wouldn't touch an RPG unless it was a strictly menu command type game. Now, I find that I enjoy all types of RPGs. I do play FPS and racing games on occasion, but it is mostly just so I have something to do with my friends.

My taste in games hasn't really changed. The only category I pretty much never play is sports games.

What has changed is my openness to games. I like FPS games, but I hate playing them online. And I feel this way because some people make it their life. If I do play a FPS online, it's always in a team mode, like capture the flag or something. I'm more for the tactics than the stupid just run and gun or camping. I hate what has become of FPS. They are no longer casual fun games to play with friends, they're ultra competitive e-peen games. My favorite multiplayer games are those about co-op, and even more so those with people I know already/in the same room.

However, my favorite games are still the action/adventure and the jRPGs. I hate WRPG's because I have to do every sidequest when it becomes available before I progress the story. Some WRPG's make it so you could spend forever doing them, and never actually get to the story.

A great example for me, I like God of War, I like Zelda, and I currently LOVE the mesh of the two that is Darksiders.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Back on the SNES I was pretty much all over the place: platformers, RPG's/action-RPG's, side-scrolling shooters, fighting games, and FPS's like Wolfenstien 3D and Doom. When I got an N64 my horizons shrunk some, as I mostly played first-party Nintendo games, true 3D FPS's, and RTS's on the PC. RPG's had pretty much fallen off the map, along with fighters and side-scrollers. I was pretty set with that group until the Medal of Honor games came out for PC, then I began to get heavy into FPS's and more action-oriented games. Now I'm back to my broad intake with old-school games (or ones of the old-school style), shooters (3rd and 1st person), fighting games, racing games, action games, hack-n-slash, survival-horror, music games, whatever.

Basically think an hour glass. Started playing a lot of genres, played less as I got older, then started playing a lot again around four years back.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I like shooters more. I guess because before a shooter game was pretty crappy. Now they are so much more refined that I have a lot more fun. Otherwise i was mainly RPG's. And with the introductions of MMO's i've been hooked with those since everquest :P
    This is pretty much my exact answer. Right down to it.

As the years go by I find myself drifting further and further away from my formerly beloved JRPGs. I used to play every one I could get my hands on, but now I simply don't have the time to pour into a longer game unless it absolutely floors me. In ten hours with FFXIII, I've barely scratched the surface. Ten hours with God of War III, and I've finished one of the most consistently absorbing and exciting games I've ever played!

Because there are weeks where I only get one day to play, I like to make sure that the session is filled with as many memorable moments as possible. With only a few exceptions, back in the PS1 days I found RPGs to be the only genre with interesting storytelling. Now, games like Uncharted 2 and GoWIII floor me with their storytelling in a fraction of the time, and end up being much more fulfilling as a result.

This isn't to say that I don't enjoy a long game. In the past couple of years I've spent 60 hours with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, 108 hours with Okami, and a whopping 386 hours with Final Fantasy XII. But those rare and brilliant gems are the exception, and not the rule.

As an aside, it should be noted that FFXII probably killed its entire genre for me. This is meant as the highest possible compliment.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

oh dear, this could become a long story unless I play it safe. My first experience with video games was with my brothers C64 back in 1988 I think? But I weren't allowed to touch that. But I could watch it, you know when it wasn't running any games. So pretty. Well.. anyway. Was a gamer from 6 years of age until.. well I don't know I probably still am but the industry has become far to mainstream for my interest. I mean come on.. back in the days when it was super nerdy to hang on these forums just to talk about games. Now everyone plays.. it's sad. Anyways.. where was I? Oh yeah.. I don't think I actually started yet. Let's make this short. I played lots of games, now I only play whatever games I want, and I love JRPGs and I don't care that no one else seem to care about them anymore. (In general not on these forums)
    "Everything is simpler than you think and at the same time more complex than you imagine."

Blog Entries

To be honest, they haven't changed a whole lot. It's always been Final Fantasy and a good selection of fighting and racing games. The occasional FPS and RTS makes it into the rotation, of course, but in terms of my tastes overall, fighters, racers and the most recent FF are my staples.

Default Not at all...

I like rpgs only.

No shooters. No strategy games or rts games.

I did start with the old atari 2600 ping and pong..went to stuff like yars revenge, then the old nintendo, supernintedo, playstation and playstation 2.
    My son and I played the various Mario games and that's what got me on to rpgs and I stayed with rpgs from the Disgaea and Breathe of Fire games to the Suikoden and Ogre Battle games and so on and so forth.

So that's me.

Rpgs only.

If it's offered to me without cost, I'll play anything once and probably like it enough to want to buy. Most of my money is saved for the hyped games though (Versus, Kingdom Hearts, Soulcalibur)

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I loved Perfect Dark. I love Perfect Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    I loved Perfect Dark. I love Perfect Dark.
    ah great fun back in high school
    "Everything is simpler than you think and at the same time more complex than you imagine."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Like many above, my tastes haven't really changed.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!