Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How have your tastes in gaming changed over the years?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default How have your tastes in gaming changed over the years?

My first experience with video games was Super Mario Bros. when I was 2 or 3. As I've grown, I've noticed that my tastes slowly change a bit every few years or so. I was a huge Mario fan until I was around 6 or 7, when I started getting into Zelda and Dragon Quest/Warrior. Then came Pokémon, and then, Kingdom Hearts, which pretty much was my introduction to Final Fantasy. FF consumed my life all the way through high school, until Necronopticous introduced me to shmups, and I've been into that ever since. However, I still like a lot of the games I used to, and find that a lot of them have great nostalgic value, as well.

What about you guys?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I like shooters more. I guess because before a shooter game was pretty crappy. Now they are so much more refined that I have a lot more fun. Otherwise i was mainly RPG's. And with the introductions of MMO's i've been hooked with those since everquest :P

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I don't think my tastes have changed much, but I have been more and more exposed to different genres, expanding the realm of types of games U like. I never liked FPS games, but recently I have enjoyed playing games like online co-op in Resistance 2, Borderlands and MAG. I was never into Mega Man back in the day, but in 2005 when I tried MMX for the first time I loved it and have become a huge Mega Man fan.
    But I still love all the games I used to.

At first it was RPGs, action adventure and Sidescrollers.

Now, it's RPG's, action adventure, and Sidescrollers....

And wierd like Katamari Damacy and Harvest Moon.

So not really much at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Nothing at all with me. If it's good I'll play it.

I've been a fan of pretty much anything that's enjoyable since I was young. I was just introduced to things slowly.

On NES it was mostly the platformer types, though I did like some shmups and I really liked Shadowgate which is essentially a point and click adventure. This was also the time I got into the Zelda games (which are of disputable classification).

Around SNES time was when I was originally introduced to Sim City which really got me going with that kinda stuff. The real turning point was Civilization though, which I first ran into on SNES. Another huge milestone in the SNES era was RPGs. FFVI was the first time I really got an RPG and made effort. For most of the years following that I would've considered myself a hardcore RPG fan.

In the midst of this I was playing games like Civ II on my PC. I also got introduced to Warcraft II and loved it though I'm far from an avid RTS player.

I opted for the N64 over the PS1 (kinda dumb in retrospect I guess). Goldeneye got me playing FPSs. I later played UT99 on PC and began to like shooters of that type. Eventually I played Half-life and Deus Ex and started loving the more story driven FPS versus what would become Halo style shooters.

I eventually played a bit of PS1 a tad late, but I hit some good RPGs and missed a ton of other good stuff. PS2 didn't do much to change my interests. I really got hardcore into The Sims on PC during its first round.

My first racing game was Mario Kart DS which got me to really liking the Mario Kart style racing games for kicks.

I really never got into sports (or sports games) or racing games. Over the years my interests have broadened in some areas. I really like a lot of indie and art games. I haven't gotten too hardcore into the huge sandbox games aside from Oblivion (I think it has to do with setting more than anything).

Most recently I've started shying away from RPGs a bit. They take too much time and JRPGs especially are becoming very recycled and stale for me. I still really love fantasy elements, but in smaller bites. Where I once would've felt that a 60+ hour game was a better value, I'm now more happy with a 10ish hour game at the same price. I want intense quality in the time that I play. I still like RPGs but a lot of them is empty and when I'm unable to spend many hours in a row playing I have trouble keeping up with events because I'm not doing them in large chunks.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Not a lot has changed. I don't really like First Person Shooters as much as used to. I was never really into them in the first place.

I guess for a timeline of over all interests, it'd go something like Platformers>RPGs>Tactical>Metroidvania>Sandbox>Fighters

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I... really don't think my tastes have changed at all. xD

Mario games, RPGs, simulators, RTS... Yeah I like the same stuff. I really do.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

My tastes really haven't changed much at all. I like the same kind of games and in some cases even the same specific games/series that I enjoyed when I was much younger.

FFXIV Character

Awrini Bellato (Excalibur)

Honestly my taste in games really haven't changed. I was always into the long RPGs for the storys and just liked the whole idea of the level up system. That and strategy games. I always love a good strategy game.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a huge nostalgiafag, so I don't think my tastes have changed or even grown. Lol.

I pretty much like everything besides sports games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll play most anything except RTS games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well back in the day everybody played a lot of things, it was harder to be genre specific back then maybe. A couple years ago I was mostly into RPG's with some FPS and RTS on the PC. Lately I've really been into FPS on the PS3, and I've also gotten into racing like Motorstorm and Gran Turismo. I've also really gotten back into action adventure games, I would absolutely say I'm more open to different genres now, RPG's are probably the least I've played.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've always enjoyed pretty much any game from almost any genre (except for dating sims). It's been that way ever since I started. I started with Mario Kart 64 though I think and then progressed into Metal Gear Solid, then Final Fantasy, then from there every other major genre.

Although I've really been feeling ravenous to play some fighting games lately.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I used to play a lot more Action Adventure games than I do now. I'm also sort of transitioning to Western styled RPGs as opposed to the JRPGs I've been obsessing over for about 3/4 of my life span.