Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Were you happy with the ending of FFX?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I think Tidus is one of the best FF protagonists of all time. And the laughing scene was great. Especially the Japanese version where it sounds like they just released a crow into the recording studio.
    I should check out the Japanese version sometime.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    That does sound like a bunch of crows

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

think i would have preferred that laugh to the English dubbed one : /
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was alright with it up until Suketi Da Ne started playing. I cannot stand high pitched Asian female singers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I cannot stand high pitched Asian female singers.
    Christ, I thought I was the only one

there was a picture here

Add me to that list...

As for the cutscene, I do believe I felt that was one of the absolute best parts of FFX. SATISFACTION!
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Ok. I am a little foggy on the ending, but I do remember the basics of it. I just started this game again a week ago, and I am trying to get the sphere grid full and all the sidequest 100% complete, but i am near the end, so it is still fresh on my mind. One thing I can say is it would have been deeper and had a much more powerful of an impact on me if Yuna would have died.

Okay I know a lot of ppl who read this is going like "wtf?" right about now, but let me explain. I never cared for Tidus too much, partially because the English voice actor sounded obnoxiously annoying, especially in battles. He was never that likable of a character but the whole "he's just a fayth's dream" I never understood or cared for that explanation. It just didn't make sense to me. He keeps saying near the end "This is my story" since when silly? You're just one of Yuna's guardians. Of course he's the narrator, but for him to say that out loud to the rest of the party was just ridiculous. If it's anyone's story then it would be Yuna's story. I didn't mind Tidus fading away because I didn't even like the character to begin with.

On the first time through the game you keep thinking she is going to die and the closer you get to Zanarkan the sadder it gets and the music on top of it is just a tear jerker as you know its inevitable, but then the impossible happens and Tidus is just a dream since the beginning and Yuna doesn't have to make a sacrifice after all.

I actually grew to like Yuna and understand her character. It made me sad when I thought she was about to die. If it would have happened i might have cried, and that's why I think it would have been a better ending if she did make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of Spira. It would have been bitter-sweet, heart breaking and yet perfect imo. I know most will disagree, but I'm a sucker for sad endings and FFX's ending could have been so much better.
    For the record: Gogo is Gogo, and Daryl is Daryl, but crazy fan conspiracies are so much fun!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That certainly makes a lot of sense, but it does require you to feel nothing positive towards Tidus They could/should have played both angles and just had Yuna die anyway, which would have been a double whammy and everyone would have gotten an emotional ending. Unless they hated both characters in which case the emotion is laughter/joy.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I really enjoy sad endings as well, but if Yuna had died, then, as the cycle goes, Sin would remain, which means Tidus would remain, and then look where we'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Darylisgogo View Post
    because the English voice actor sounded obnoxiously annoying, especially in battles.
    "SEYMOUR!!!!"

Though despite the minor irritations, I personally did like Tidus. And I found the ending to be pretty emotional.

But yeah, having Yuna die would have certainly been even more emotional. But then there wouldn't have been X-2.......wait a minute, that WOULD have been perfect.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

G13: FFX...-3? OMG, TEH HORR0RRR!!

crazybayman: Hey, didn't see your post until I'd written my above masterpiece. I agree, though what made me want to do brutal things to Tidus was the cutscene before smacking Yunalesca. ("But I want everything!")
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    No, he was a whiny, shallow, self-righteous, stupid, unsympathetic douchebag whose daddy issues were seen as a better basis for a protagonist than the person who actually saved the world.
    Wow, you and I see the character so differently! I really fail to see why you find him a douchebag, shallow, unsympathetic.

If you want to get a measure of his character, remember the Luca Blitzball tournament: He is an extremely skilled athlete that has just made a tremendous difference in the team's performance, practically winning the game for them. Instead of basking in a justified public admiration he leaves and gives the chance for spotlight to Wakka, a guy he has barely met, and a guy who has been losing games for years, and who had nothing to do with their victory in the current game. Tidus leaves the field and let Wakka finally get the appreciation he has craved for so long. "It was his time to shine" he says. How many famous athletes / actors would do that for a perfect stranger ?

That scene alone proves he is a sensitive, decent guy who was sympathetic to Wakka's plea of wanting to retire from blitzball with a victory. Not only he helped the team achieve the victory but he made sure Wakka got all the credit and respect. A selfless generous act that shows a lot of character. Shallow ? What shallow person would let another take his spotlight ? Unsympathetic ? His selfless act then and there proved he is anything but.

After that scene, I was a Tidus fan, no matter how many whinny scenes came after. To me anyone plucked from their world and put on a world so different would freak out. His whining was him being human and not a cardboard hero that never has any doubts or feelings.

Ya he was self righteous and stupid sometimes. But he was right! It was stupid to care for Yevon's religious traditions while Yuna could be in danger. It was stupid to sacrifice a summoner every time Bevelle wanted a reprieve from Sin. The entire society revolved about a lie and Tidus had no sympathy for that lie. But if Tidus didn't rebel against that, would Yuna have rebelled ? To me his self righteousness encouraged her to examine her traditions and her faith in Yevon / Bevelle's crap. Without him clinging to his own view of what was right and what was important - keep Yuna alive while still defeating Sin - we would have had just another dead summoner and the cycle would have never been broken.

Also, his willingness to sacrifice himself did not just come out of the blue to a lousy character. It fits integrally to the type of person we see him being. Again I bring you to the Luca Stadium scene. He sacrificed himself there, to give Wakka the retirement exit he wanted. From the start of the game Tidus is selfless, sacrifices himself and puts himself in danger for others. It iis no wonder he does the ultimate sacrifice at the end. He could do no less. He feels their pain.. You can see how much he feels it when he stupidly throws himself in the ocean after Sin, in pain and rage after seeing all the death after the Mir-hen operation. Smart ? no. Shallow ? Anything but. Unsympathetic ? Who throws themselves at a gargantuan monster, because of dead people he / she has no sympathy for ? Tidus had no sympathy for Bevelle's/ yevon crap of a religion but he cared a lot for Spira's people. He "died" for them, people he never met, not from his world. How many would do that for strangers in a far away land ?

I have also always admired the fact the he was humble and friendly, in spite of being a sports idol, a big star, in his own world, the "Michael Jordan" or "Tim Tebow" of blitzball. Most star athletes are self centered entitled douchebags and act like Tracy Morgan of 30 Rock, but not Tidus. He humbly helps Wakka and Yunna and has no need for a star's entourage and the flattery that goes with it. He believes he has woken up 1,000 years into his future and freaks out - as any of us would - but still manages to be helpful and sympathetic to the people of this strange world he has been thrown in. He feels their pain, even though they are not from his time and he doesn't know them. He doesn't just get a ride with them to Zanarkand to resolve HIS problem. He actually helps those people in any way he can. He never thinks about getting back to being a famous blitzer, or about taking the Aurochs from Wakka. He joins Wakka's group and never makes any attempt at stealing the spotlight from Wakka or Yuna.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

It has my favourite ending from all the Final Fantasy's I have played, It's sad but I don't think it would be as good if it had a happy ending.

Just recently replayed this game. My love for it has been intensified XD The ending got me again, lump in the throat even though I fought it! Definitely one of my favourite endings in the series and one of my favourite installments. Loved pretty much every minute of it time and time again.