Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how many of you DON'T mash attack?

Banned

Default So how many of you DON'T mash attack?

Magic, Summons, Limits, etc. (not counting Drive since I'm sure lots use that)

Hell, let's also throw in Guard and Growth Abilities.

It makes the games much more fun. And even easier, coincidentally.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeesh, must you all make threads based on mine? -_-

Well, I button bash in KH.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    And even easier, coincidentally.
    That's funny, because it doesn't.

Okay, you may have a point for KHI and CoM.

Banned

And for KH2FM Critical Mode.

At least, that's what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    And for KH2FM Critical Mode.

At least, that's what I heard.
    And that's about right as you can additionally play the game through on Lv. 1.

But I try to use make of all attacks, in fact I do, because mashing buttons won't get you anywhere when you fight the optional/secret boss(es) in KHIIFM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah I pretty much bash attack all the time in KH, because you never really need to do anything otherwise.

I use pretty much everything in KHII, though.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I reached my second battle with Demyx on Hard Mode. I have no other saves and I'm not allowed to leave Hollow Bastion. There's no other place to go to fight creatures and use up my Anti-Form Drive (which I know will pop up when I fight Demyx) and when I try to fight Demyx without a Drive Mode, I easily get my ass handed to me when starts one of his annoying riffs. (obviously button-mashing ain't doing me any good) I mean, without Drive combo attacks, Sora is just so damned slow, he can't seem to touch any one of Demyx's clones and the time limit screws me each time. F--- Square for that, man. Who needs to unlock the Secret Vid anyway when I can just look it up on YouTube? Hagbags...
    Hint: you're doing anti-form wrong.

wheh?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Protip: don't get hit when you transform!

Actually, when fighting single enemies Antiform can be extremely useful. And Demyx appears to be one, so just try to hit him and not to get hit by him. It's an annoying battle, but not too hard, I think :D

No no no no no no no.
    Anti-Form cannot take care of Demyx's GDed clones within the time limit, so when I'm low on health AND magic and use the drive to restore my HP, I have no choice but to play it out (while wishing I had a lower drive level that would drain quicker) and it's freaking useless.

Of COURSE you don't use it when he's summoning his servants, because they are too MANY. Use it as long as he's fighting alone, it's an extremely strong Drive when you know how to use it.

About your HP: Use potions. In the worst case Cure, but I'd rather try to use the MP to dodge his attacks (reflec/ra/ga..it's one of the best abilities).

Chain of Memories, and arguably Kingdom Hearts 1, were the only games I didn't button mash my way through. =p

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

P4ine: Wow, you don't catch, do you? It's not like I time it perfectly to fight against Asshole Demyx's Asshole clones with my lame-ass Anti-Form. Yes, potions are worst-case and whenever I try to use them, the slow-ass command gets me killed because the people who wrote the system are also assholes. I use Anti-Form to heal myself, but Demyx's summoning happens while I'm waiting for the bitch to drain off, so I have no choice but to try to defeat his clones within the tiny time limit and .... fail!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Mercen-X, for one thing, you shouldn't be using Anti-Form to heal yourself in the first place, in this battle. P4ine has been right this entire time, but I suppose what he's telling you needs more clarification. In fact, don't use your Drives at all during the fight. I've seen this fight many times, and suffered through it myself, but the keys to success in this particular fight are:

A) Limits
    B) running the hell away half the time
    C) Reactions

The fight can be split up into two different parts. The first part, while fighting against the clones is more straightforward than you might think. Here, what you want to do is constantly stay on the move, and to be aware of your surroundings. Go for the clones that are packed tightly in groups, and nuke them with your Fire spell. Yes, they are weak to Fire, and yes, Fire often kills many of them with little effort. You shouldn't even be getting hit at all during this point of the battle, but if you are, keep an eye on your MP bar. If it's low, then just Cure yourself, and it should bring you to significant amounts of HP. If it's high, spam some more Fire; you should get 8 or 9 uses before you decide to yourself "screw this, I need it to recharge."

But you might ask, "wait, what do I do when I'm out of MP?" Simple: use Reaction commands as they usually show up when a clone is about to attack you. By using the RC, you've avoided damage and probably wiped out half the screen's worth of enemies, due to the long range of the RC. Although, you should be wary of using the RC when the timer hits 5 seconds or less, as the animation can lock you in the clone part of the battle, even when all of the clones are dead. That means you'll still lose.

Part two is fighting against the musician himself. It's about 75% running, 20% jumping, and another 85% of the time running. Yes, I'm aware that those numbers add up to more than 100%.

Why are we running? Well, for one thing, his attacks tend to be very large areas of effect attacks, but they also attack in certain patterns that make it difficult to counter-attack, but easy to keep away. The horizontal water wall, the straight propulsion jet attacks, and the water drop are all easily avoidable, even if they make attacking very difficult. You'll either run away, run to the side, or break the physics of the video game by running out of the screen and back in. The other thing is, if you abuse your Limits, you're going to spend a lot of time waiting for your MP to raise back up.

However, there are those special moments when you can attack the musician without losing an equal amount of your HP. The idea here is to whack him with the Keyblade a couple of times, and then cast Fire in rapid succession: Demyx is weak to Fire. Either that, or the Reaction Commands that pop up from time to time (Wild Dance from stray clones, Show Stealer sometimes). Alternatively, stack nothing but Ethers, and then rely on using Donald's Limits.

After a certain point, he'll summon clones again: this part is mostly luck, but the same idea applies. If you get an RC right away, use it. Then clean up with Fire.

The lesson here is: use up as much of your MP with Fire as possible, then use Cure or Donald's Limit (depending on your situation), as those require ALL of your MP. Full or mostly empty makes no difference.

The other lesson is: Drives will be the death of you in this match. The changing animation eats up way too much time for the timered portions, and when using them, the cost largely outweighs the benefit. This is especially true for Anti-Form; for Valor and Wisdom, you might be able to get away with using them as a quick heal, and then attacking (either by knocking the guy into the air using a regular attack from Valor, or by spamming Fire in Wisdom), but if you get caught in one of his attacking patterns, you've wasted time healing yourself, the HP you got back will probably go away very quickly, and if you're running away most of the time, well, that would defeat the purpose of a Form. I don't know if you get Master Form by this point, but since you can't level it up, there's no point in discussing it.
    Last edited by Tavrobel; 03-29-2010 at 04:18 AM.