Thread: The remakes...

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default The remakes...

There are a lot of them, by now, we know this. It's been skull-smurfed into our brains that Square will run this game until the chance of someone not having access to the original Final Fantasy is slim, to none.

But here's my question to those who have played both the original Final Fantasy and a remake, did it successfully capture the nostalgia and feel that was Final Fantasy I? As I think back to beating Dawn of Souls I can't shake the feeling that I didn't truly experience the FFI experience. Would you agree with that statement? And is there an option that doesn't include finding a SNES?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The nostalgia not-so-much (I think a lot of that is about graphics), but the PS1 version is a very good remake that faithful to the original gameplay.

And is there an option that doesn't include finding a SNES?
    Finding an NES would be the other option. :P

The PS1 is probably the only one that comes even close to being a completely successful remake. The GBA and iPhone (which is just the PSP version from what I can tell) are loads easier than the game was initially.

I may not have played the original, but it was pretty easy to see that Dawn of Souls wasn't at all faithful to old timey feel. The MP system of course simplified things a ton so mages became a lot more useful. The difficulty overall was just sapped compared to my brief exposure to a NES emulation.

DoS was still fun though! :jess:

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I guess I asked this question because I'm fairly sure that I can download the PS1 remake off of PSN and it would cost me money for a game I already have and have beaten, so I was wondering, if I where to download, play, and beat this remake, would it be worth money for a FF lover?

I had been planning to play FF5 but for some odd reason, the urge to finally go back and play the origin of the series I love has struck me.

So, this thread answered my question of which version to play. NES it is.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

FFI is my favorite in the series. Nothing compares to playing it on my NES. I've played many other versions but they just don't capture the magic.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

the remake of 1 was good, it made me happy
    the remake of two was ok
    the reremake of two was stale, but added some sweet cutscenes
    the remake of 4 was not as good as the original, even with the cutscenes
    they should remake 8
    tactics remake better than the original
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Funny enough, I bought the iPhone remake and then played the NES version on an emulator.

I'll play the iPhone one of course, but I've already got the impression from the NES version that it's worth experiencing the originals once if you're a fan of the series. Because part of the experience is the evolution that the game *itself* went through like when one party member defeats an enemy and the next one to hit it gets "ineffective" etc. There are menu options but you'd never experience all of those 'charms' with the remakes.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's the original that has ineffective and things like limited item slots or magic use

Blog Entries

Yeah that's what I was saying, guess I wasn't all that clear.

I think there's actually an "ineffective rule" option in some of the remakes, but that's just one element.

For me, it was fun to play the original NES version for the proper retro experience, including its little quirks and annoyances. You've not experienced the evolution of Final Fantasy until you've seen the original graphics, heard the original music and felt what it's like moving poisoned party members back to the front of the party all the time, IMO

You won't get quite the same feeling from remakes like FF Origins etc as you would from the original.
    There's something very special about the NES version, and the best way to get the "right" feeling is probably to play that version and pretend it's a completely different game.

The Origins version was great though, definitely one of the best remakes I've played.

The PS1 version seemed pretty close, but the graphics don't make me feel nostalgic, not that its a bad thing. I didn't get very far on the original version, so I don't really need the nostalgia. To me, Origins is the original FF I and II (I know some of you may hate me for saying that) and the GBA version wasn't bad, but it was too easy. I havent played the PSP or mobile versions, and I dont intend to.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

They should remake 8 for psp instead of just rerelease, make graphics better and stuff
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen