Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most underrated Final Fantasy?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default Most underrated Final Fantasy?

Which Final Fantasy do you feel deserves more attention and praise?

I'd have to say the Final Fantasy Tactics series, just a great couple of games in general really. I kind of feel it's overlooked though because it's not really on a major platform as the main titles are.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

FFT is not widely regarded as the best FF ever, so it's underrated.

Otherwise, you can say some of the older games are underrated. Maybe not FFI because of its 10 million versions, but FFIV and FFV (especially the latter for me).

Banned

Final Fantasy XII

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XII?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

There is a lot of hate for FFXII.

FFT is not widely regarded as the best FF ever, so it's underrated.
    True, but it is rated fairly appropriately by the people in the know

I'm going to go with FFIII. I always overlooked it as being primitive on the level of FFI (don't get me wrong, I love FFI. But it is still a game made in 1987), but playing through it I felt the only thing that separates it from modern titles is the lack of character development.

Can't think of anyone, but around these places ALL of them seem to be underated, maybe especially nine for its alleged "childish character lineup".

Blog Entries

I think FFV is fairly underrated. Because FFVII was the first for a lot of gamers, everything preceding that can get dismissed by the younger 'generation'. FFs IV and VI are two exceptions that seem to have broken through and received their rightful accolades.

I think the same respect needs to be given to FFV. In my opinion, it's right up there as one of best.

Blog Entries

I agree with FFV. The Advance version is just so darn funny and I found it very entertaining. And I really love FFIII, even though it hardly gets any credit.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Blog Entries

I think III is very rarely spoken of and deserves alot more praise
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

To avoid saying that all the games I like need more praise, I'll just Tactics Advance is a MARVELOUSLY crafted game. As far as balance of difficulty and accessibility, this game is far and away better than Tactics.

Also, FFV needs more love. C'mon people.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I LOVE FFV especially the job system. I know it's not new, but I dunno, it just seems so AWESOME in V.

Articles
    Blog Entries

II and V easily. V for the reasons people have discussed in here already, plus the self-proclaimed "elitists" of FF who grew up on the localized games overlook it simply because they didn't play it when they were children. FFII was somewhat ahead of its time to me with the name-recognition system, guest characters, and a character development system with a level of depth that wouldn't be revisited until FFVII's materia (or arguably FFVI's combination of accessories/espers/equipment character building or FFV's jobs+equipment palette).

I would also actually say FFVII. Certain circles within the FF community desperately struggle to fabricate arbitrary critiques, even 13 years after its release, for the sole fact that it's more popular than their favorite game, and also out of childish impulses of competition. At the same time, many of its biggest fans don't appreciate it for its strengths, only because of the nostalgia factor. It's very rare you get real discussions about the literary themes & techniques which it introduced to gaming at the time, or the production values which exceeded nearly every game before it.

Gotta love VII!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Mystic Quest, yo. It has a rockin' soundtrack and Tristam. And the Dragon Claw!

On the other hand, V really doesn't get the attention it deserves. I may be a little biased cause it's my favorite game, but ya'll agree that it deserves more too. Especially the revamped script in Advance. And the job system is awesome.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFII, III, V, VIII, XI and XII. Basically any game in the series that doesn't have a ridiculously overzealous fanbase. At least these fans tend to have the ability to actually look past the nostalgia of their games and see them for what they are worth and not paint them as "best of times" bullcrap that goes into all the other entries.

Not counting the numbered entries. I'll give it to Tactics Advance cause it also gets nailed with the kitty moniker despite having a fairly mature story (with kids!). Its not as solid or as balanced as Tactics but its a better game than the haters give it credit for.

I'd also put down the original Crystal Chronicles. Ignoring the hardware flaws, it was an excellent multiplayer game and really brought back fond memories of the Mana series for me.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Not counting the numbered entries. I'll give it to Tactics Advance cause it also gets nailed with the kitty moniker despite having a fairly mature story (with kids!). Its not as solid or as balanced as Tactics but its a better game than the haters give it credit for.
    And don't forget the people who completely missed the point of the game and pegged Marche as the bad guy.