Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who/what introduced you to the Final Fantasy series?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default Who/what introduced you to the Final Fantasy series?

For me, I had never had any interest in the series until I played Kingdom Hearts. Then I came across Final Fantasy X and tried it out. I enjoyed it a lot. I ended up playing different Final Fantasy games throughout that year and I ended up falling in love with the series.

What about you?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

A friend of mine in 5th or 6th grade bought it when it first game out. I watched him play when he was on disc 3 (just screwing around doing side stuff) and thought it looked cool, so got it for myself.

Me and My friend went to get a Pizza from the highstreet near where we live, and we picked up FFVIII from the blockbusters, we played as much as we could and then were hooked
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A friend of mine Luther, a long, long time ago. I think he introduced me to RPGs. I remember getting far in disc 1 of FFIX like, 10 times xD

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's so long ago I can't even remember if it was FF7 (via PC version) or FF6 (via ROM) I saw first I do remember Chrono Trigger being the next RPG I played after those two though
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I saw the box for Final Fantasy at the local video store and it looked interesting so I rented it.
    Figaro Castle

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I went to visit my friend across the country and he had a PS1 and a copy of FFVII. After I came back I started to save money to buy a PlayStation, only to be extremely happy when they released it for PC.

My story is exactly the same as Momiji's. :freak:
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My uncle bought FFVIII and FFVII when I was about eight years old. I remembered watching him play FFVIII and thinking it was really neat. My gaming experience up to that point included Sonic, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, and Gex, so I was pretty amazed by it. It was some time before I'd actually play it, though.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I first became interested when I saw Final Fantasy X at Blockbuster and played it for a bit, got stuck, then had to give the game back. Sometime after that, I found IV-VI SNES roms and they just grew my love for FF.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had vaguely known of the FF series as a kid - some school mates would chat about it sometimes, but they where all Nes/Snes games, and I never owned any of those consoles. So it passed me by.

Years later I became the owner of a PlayStation and began collecting PSX Related books and magazines - I eventually got a hold of a book (which I have now lost ) which was a "Cheats Tips and Tricks" book - it also contained WalkThroughs of various games, one of which was Final Fantasy VII.

I kept reading the walkthrough it just seamed like such an iteresting game, and from what I could see the storyline looked cool (the book gave just the right amount away so nothing was spoiled, but it advertized the game perfectly - I dug up an old Magazine (also lost, and it's name escapes me) and sore an article for FFVII (which had not yet been completed at the time of that Magazine's publishing) I read up on the characters, and the information of the game and was mesmorized by the graphics (this was nothing to compare to seeing them in person though.) I searched high and low to find it, and I eventually got it. It as you all know became my Favorite FF - I then got VIII, was a little critical of it at first because I was hyped up on VII - but soon learned to love it. I then continued to get FF games and I am now a fan. With VII and VIII still holding top positions.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Originally, Nintendo Power's two-issue coverage of FFVI. But what got me to actually play one of the games was GameFan's ridiculous 100 and "100+" scores for FFVII. I almost miss that kind of innocent, zealous enthusiasm in games journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    I saw the box for Final Fantasy at the local video store and it looked interesting so I rented it.
    I was 7.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Originally, Nintendo Power's two-issue coverage of FFVI. But what got me to actually play one of the games was GameFan's ridiculous 100 and "100+" scores for FFVII. I almost miss that kind of innocent, zealous enthusiasm in games journalism.
    I know what you mean, I used to just go to the publications aisle when my mom took us to the supermarket and plop down on the floor with my brother and read gaming magazines, great times that will never come back with the cynical milieu of gaming blogs like kotaku and such *grrrr*

My friend Matt was a huge gamer growing up with all consoles; I only had a Genesis and we used to talk about our favorite RPG's we were playing at the moment, which was a lot since it was Sega Channel's heydey. He had NES/SNES too and was into FF. I got a PlayStation a little after he did and he insisted that I HAD to play FFVII, so I borrowed it from him while he was getting into FFTactics and it's been a done deal ever since!

Final Fantasy IV was the second game I played (after Super Mario World). I was around 5 at the time, but it was different enough from any other SNES game I played that I kept plugging through it despite not really understanding the mechanics. A couple years later I tried again and thoroughly enjoyed the story and game from start to finish.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.