Thread: Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Warrior vs. Dungeons & Dragons.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Chocobo Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Warrior vs. Dungeons & Dragons.

So I heard FF ripped off of DW/DQ who ripped off of D&D, but who did "Fantasy" the best at the time? I prefer Final Fantasy, only because I hate going up 99,999 levels after every boss in every Dragon Warrior game.

And also D&D is for nerds, son!

Actually, let's turn this into a thread about how FF is greater than DW.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I've never played a Dragon Quest game to it's completion, but they always seem so much more 'shallow' than FF titles. Probably because they don't grab you right away with important stuff happening.

How this relates to FFI vs DQI, well, not at all.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The Dungeons & Dragons NES games were horrible. I couldn't even find them playable.

The real concern here is FF vs DW. Are we talking all the NES games in the series or just the originals?

FF1 beats DW1 by a million miles. For one, it has replayability. The music and graphics are better. It gives you multiple party members and a choice of what class they are! Let's just say everything about it is better though to be fair DW came out first and the US version of DW was vastly improved upon compared to the Japanese version.

The series as a whole now? (Based of NES versions)

FFI is awesome, FFII is okay, and I don't tend to enjoy FFIII a whole lot.
    DWI is bad, DWII is alright, but then DWIII and DWIV are awesome.

It's a hard comparison.

Maybe I'm weird, but speaking only of the original NES versions, I PREFER Dragon Warrior to FF1.

I know it's more basic, but for me my adventure was just more enjoyable.

Infact, I don't have anything bad to say about any of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games at all. They're great and deserve respect amongst the rpg community.

Dragon Warrior 1, 2 and 3 as a continuous trilogy make them equal to Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 3. I think individually, the Final Fantasy games are better made, but I really enjoyed the epic saga of the first three Dragon Warriors. One of the earliest wow moments for me in videogames was when I got to the map in DW2 where DW1 began and the DW1 music began to play. It was powerful - epic. That said, if each Dragon Warrior was a totally separate universe like Final Fantasies are, then they wouldn't hold a candle to their counterparts. They do a great job of combining to become greater than the sum of their parts - something FF has yet to master. I can't judge any Dragon Warrior past 3, because once the Edrick Trilogy ended, so did my interest in the series - seemed to become generic anime.
    Knock yourselves down.

I hope you're talking about some Dungeons and Dragons NES game, because if you're comparing the foundation of RPGs to the first video game renditions, its hardly a contest. PnP D&D lets you attempt to do anything your imagination can muster. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest lets you thwop imps and slimes with wooden sticks for the first ten minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I hope you're talking about some Dungeons and Dragons NES game, because if you're comparing the foundation of RPGs to the first video game renditions, its hardly a contest. PnP D&D lets you attempt to do anything your imagination can muster. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest lets you thwop imps and slimes with wooden sticks for the first ten minutes
    Video games offer a consistency you can't get with humans acting as the CPU. If I attempt to refute the enjoyment of DnD, the rebuttal will be that the DM was lousy, but I hold that that in itself is good enough for many people to hold FF and DW as superior to DnD. In theory, one can attempt to do anything one wants as a player in DnD - the problem is, the DM can do likewise - except he doesn't attempt. He just does. If the pool of DnD players were large enough, this would be easily circumvented by finding someone else to play with, but unfortunately, you're "lucky" to find enough players to even get started. You're insanely lucky to progress more than three sessions, and you better not even walk outside if you have a high quality DM that plays fairly with a good story to boot, because you're so damned lucky in that case that fate/karma/whatever will most likely see you run over by a semi when you cross the street to balance things out.
    Knock yourselves down.

FF 1 was IMO better than DQ 1. However, DQ 3 is the single best RPG on the NES.

All that being said, where's the love for Phantasy Star? It came out the same year as the original final fantasy and blew it away. Of course it was on the master system, which limited its audience.