Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flavor vs. Usefulness

White Mage is far from mandatory. My current play through is my ONLY play through to use a White Mage, and I'm actually finding it harder this time around.

The easiest team I've EVER used is a Knight Knight Knight Red Wizard. Your three Knights are going to be huge tanks, strong attackers, and light buffers/healers. The Red Wizard will play backup buffer/healer and throw in those nifty elemental spells and so on.

This team is almost cheating it makes the game so easy.

Now I've heard that a FULL Monk/Master team can be devastating. I know a bare naked Monk can be the hardest hitter in the game, but they also take damage extremely badly, and with no spells I just cant see how somebody would play this team.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Nah, it's pretty easy. I played through with four monks a while ago. The monsters die so fast they never have a chance to hit you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xaven View Post
    Flavor before anything! Weird parties are the best parties. Standard parties are boring~!

Doesn't playing the standard way feel so trite and abused? There is so much to be explored in the ways of whacked out party dynamics and in the challenges of lacking typically critical elements.
    I agree with this post one-hundred percent. Standard parties are only worth trying out the first time around, afterwards, it only becomes mind-numbingly repetitious.

I usually build my parties around a theme or logic. My current party, the first I've played in over a year, is Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, Black Mage, because I wanted the four most damaging classes without doubling up. The other rule for this game is that I never run from battles, but I never stop to level-raise. Always have lots of metagaming going on.
    Knock yourselves down.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Flavor, I can beat the game with pretty much anything..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I'm the type the person who always like to use a balanced party composed of a tank, healer, nuker, and a powerhouse. So a Warrior/Monk/White Mage/Black Mage combo always works for me.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's six classes with the custimation of Glenn Beck. Hardly what I call flavor.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I usually go for usefulness, but in a biased way. Even though I try to make a party that works well, I often restrict my character choices by not allowing two of the same class, and I clearly use my favorite classes (Fighter and White Mage) the most, and my least favorite class (Black Belt) the least.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I only played through it a couple times, but the teams I used were as follows:

Fighter, Thief, W. Mage, B. Mage.
    Thief, Thief, Fighter, Fighter.
    W. Mage, W. Mage, W. Mage, W. Mage. (This one was HARD!)
    Fighter, Monk, W. Mage, B. Mage.
    Fighter, R. Mage, W. Mage, B. Mage.
    Monk, Monk, Monk, Monk.
    Is currently playing Final Fantasy II. I am going for 100%.

-Has played FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFV, FFVII DoC, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, FFXIII, FFTA. Has beaten FFI, FFII, FFX. Has 100% beaten FFI. Has watched FFtSW, FFVII AC, and FFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    How do you decide your party? Is it because of arbitrary personal preferences (flavor) or the usefulness of that class?

I tend to be a practical person in my game playing and choose the "best" party. I like Fighter/Fighter/Black Mage/White Mage because of its overall usefulness: badass physical fighters up front, and badass magic users in the back row.

So by what standards do you chose your party?
    I either pick the 8-bit Theater party or by preference (or challenge). I hate Black Belts thanks to Dr. Unne, so I never use one of those. I've never been a fan of Red Mages since I love using the most badass, highest levels spells in any game where I play a caster.
    <----Old Fogey