Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God of War III

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    A bit of a letdown. More "God of War" than "God of War II" -- which isn't a good thing. Control issues, way too short, and they didn't do anything with the Titans that they promised.

Solid game. Probably don't need to buy it as you'll be done with it in a couple of days. Not much replay value, either. Story is lame, but then again, if you're playing God of War for story then you're doing it wrong.
    I actually quite liked the original game's story. It was coherent and, while extremely simplified, non the less entertaining.

God of War II is where the story started getting silly to me. It changed from "Kratos is screwing stuff up because of this event" to "Kratos is screwing stuff up because...heeeeee's Kratos!". God of War III, as far as I've gotten, is just following II's suit to an obnoxious level, and I'm loving it!

But yeah, God of War III isn't a game I'd recommend to anyone who's top priority in a game is the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    A bit of a letdown. More "God of War" than "God of War II" -- which isn't a good thing. Control issues, way too short, and they didn't do anything with the Titans that they promised.

Solid game. Probably don't need to buy it as you'll be done with it in a couple of days. Not much replay value, either. Story is lame, but then again, if you're playing God of War for story then you're doing it wrong.
    I actually quite liked the original game's story. It was coherent and, while extremely simplified, non the less entertaining.

God of War II is where the story started getting silly to me. It changed from "Kratos is screwing stuff up because of this event" to "Kratos is screwing stuff up because...heeeeee's Kratos!". God of War III, as far as I've gotten, is just following II's suit to an obnoxious level, and I'm loving it!

But yeah, God of War III isn't a game I'd recommend to anyone who's top priority in a game is the story.
    You make it sound as if the story isn't well told.

I actually really enjoyed the story, though in all honesty it's far from stand alone. You'd need to have played the other games, since this is basically doing little more then wrapping everything from the previous two games up.

I'll agree though, to an extent, that it's not exactly the top reason to buy the game. ;p

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought Kratos trying to kill the Gods was perfectly justified given everything they'd done to him between the first game and the beginning of the second. I'll admit the story in GOWII wasn't told as well as in GOW, but I think they got back to telling the story well again with GOWIII.

Banned

Well I finished God of War III a few hours ago and I must say I was extremely disappointed with the ending. I mean really, I sat through three entire games and waited that many years for THAT conclusion?

I suppose it really couldn't have ended much differently, but it feels incredibly thoughtless for it to end the way it did.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well I finished God of War III a few hours ago and I must say I was extremely disappointed with the ending. I mean really, I sat through three entire games and waited that many years for THAT conclusion?

I suppose it really couldn't have ended much differently, but it feels incredibly thoughtless for it to end the way it did.
    This is a major 'to each his own' moment I think. Because I loved the way it ended.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Essence View Post

This is a major 'to each his own' moment I think. Because I loved the way it ended.
    Same here.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree. I don't think there was another way the game could have ended.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was waiting for something to happen and it never did, so I was kinda disappointed when I was back at the title screen. But the more I thought about it, and watching it again from the menu, I thought it was pretty good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post

Same here.
    Everything is a major "to each his own" moment when it comes to entertainment.

I thought it was incredibly lazy, and quite frankly, flat out dumb for (SPOILER)Kratos to just randomly kill himself...oh but wait he always comes back from the dead anyway! What makes this time different? (SPOILER)Hades, the god, is dead, but the underworld is still very much there. Why can't Kratos just come back again?

I agree with you, I don't really know how else it could of ended, and it's cool if you like it, but, in my opinion, if they paid anything the writer who "thought up" that ending, they paid them too much.

I'm just finally getting going on this. I really loved what they did with Hermes. (SPOILER)He had a strongly gay archetype and was really annoying. He kept taunting and made you really want to hate him.

I was shocked at the level of gore. I mean, even for GoW, there are some things that literally made my skin crawl. It felt like watching one of the later Saw movies or something. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm loving the polish. I do tend to have a problem with double jumps not executing at times though.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    I was shocked at the level of gore. I mean, even for GoW, there are some things that literally made my skin crawl.
    I've heard this a lot, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Maybe I'm just really, really desensitized, but it never really got much worse than seeing the flesh tearing as you ripped off Helios head, but there's nothing here that other games didn't top years ago. In fact, I found the level of gore in some boss fights almost dissapointing because I was expecting more after some of the earlier fights.

I do tend to have a problem with double jumps not executing at times though.
    I did hear about other people having this problem as well, and they did technically tighten the timing for getting that second jump compared to the earlier games. You have to do it right around the apex of the first jump now or it won't work. I'm not sure why they changed that, but if no one had told me I honestly never would have noticed. I can't think of a single time I missed a double jump for a reason other than being hit out of one by an enemy.

I thought it was incredibly lazy, and quite frankly, flat out dumb for (SPOILER)Kratos to just randomly kill himself...oh but wait he always comes back from the dead anyway! What makes this time different?
    He tried to do this at the end of God of War because he was still tormented by the nightmares and memories of killing his family. Now that he had finished his task and the gods were dead there was nothing left for him to do and certainly (SPOILER)nothing left for him to live for. Why wouldn't he choose to finally die on his own terms, and likely go see his family once again. Like you said, Hades is dead and the underworld is wide open for a man such as Kratos.
    Last edited by Slothy; 04-06-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post

Same here.
    Everything is a major "to each his own" moment when it comes to entertainment.

I thought it was incredibly lazy, and quite frankly, flat out dumb for (SPOILER)Kratos to just randomly kill himself...oh but wait he always comes back from the dead anyway! What makes this time different? (SPOILER)Hades, the god, is dead, but the underworld is still very much there. Why can't Kratos just come back again?

I agree with you, I don't really know how else it could of ended, and it's cool if you like it, but, in my opinion, if they paid anything the writer who "thought up" that ending, they paid them too much.
    (SPOILER)Randomly kill himself? He's wanted to die since the first game. Now that everything was done he could kill himself properly this time, with no God to bring him back. He doesn't WANT to come back. I really don't think the writer was paid too much. YOU need to pay more attention

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ It was awesome to do, though!!!