Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: God of War III

GOW3 or Yakuza 3. Decisions decisions.....

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ That is a pretty challenging decision.

Looking forward to playing this eventually. My only friend who has it hasn't beat it due to school stuff, and after him is his roommate, and then (hopefully) me before the school year ends and he heads home for the summer. If not oh well, I'll play it in the fall.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

@eternal essence:

Wow, I can't believe that sequence was a last minute addition! Thank god they put it in, it pretty much cemented the game for me as a storytelling juggernaut.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

So far, I'm really enjoying the game, but man is Kratos brutal. Still, GoW II is still the pinnacle in the series, this game only refines certain aspects (combat, scale of the action and minor characterization). Still, it's great fun.

Banned

I just started playing, just reached (SPOILER)Hephaestus at The Forge. The game is freaking gorgeous on my new 1080p display. It truly amazes me that so much can be going on on screen with no slow down in 1080p with such detailed graphics.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I beat it in like 4 days. WAAAAY too short of a game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I beat it the day I got it, and yeah, the urge to replay it hasn't been too strong. Although my friend and I are having a race to try and platinum it, so I'm still picking it up and doing bits and pieces every now and then.

Banned

So they said there was going to be sixaxis functionality in the game, that didn't happen. They said it was going to be 1080p, that didn't happen. They said it was going to run a constant 60fps like the other games, that didn't happen. They said it was going to be around 20 hours, and people are beating it the same day they bought it?

I mean so far it's pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but man, is there a single promise about this game the devs didn't break?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

They weren't promises but development targets and industry rumours which most devs don't even have the balls to say to the public.

I don't ever think they said anything about 20 hours, or the stupid sixaxis functionality (which has rare cases of being useful or good, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2).

I don't care about the 1080p as this game looks damn amazing and they probably couldn't have made it look as good in 1080p.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    I don't ever think they said anything about 20 hours, or the stupid sixaxis functionality (which has rare cases of being useful or good, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2).
    They did say it would use the sixaxis (in fact, they pretty much announced the Dual Shock 3 in the same sentence), but that was way back when Cory Barlog was still in charge.

Frankly, I can't see how a game looking pretty damn amazing in 720p (the only problem I had was with the occasional low res texture, but that might have been 0.1% of the time), having a perfectly smooth framerate, or being an extremely well paced 10 hours is a bad thing.

And a complete lack of Sixaxis controls is just another selling point, because as I've said hundreds of times, motion controls suck 99% of the time. I wouldn't even say they were useful or good in Killzone 2. Less annoying and intrusive than most instances, but they didn't do anything that couldn't have worked just as well or better without them. There's a good reason we've seen a lot of high profile first party stuff like Uncharted 2 abandoning motion controls.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    I mean so far it's pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but man, is there a single promise about this game the devs didn't break?
    The one about how it would be the most visceral piece of gaming ever created.

They came through on that one. The rest is small potatoes, really.

I mean, it's important for us to look back at what the game was supposed to be, what it is now, and critique and measure the experience according to those considerations.

But when the game is this good, should we really give a damn about all that?

Articles
    Blog Entries

My friend came over the other day to have a play through it and see what it was like; I was able to happily watch him play the game for what would have been close to an hour (in some instances I enjoyed it more, because I didn't have to focus on which button to press, and was simply able to watch what happened in the QTE's and the scenery that was being fought on). I think that takes it out of the realm of being simply another game, and transforms it into an experience.

A bit of a letdown. More "God of War" than "God of War II" -- which isn't a good thing. Control issues, way too short, and they didn't do anything with the Titans that they promised.

Solid game. Probably don't need to buy it as you'll be done with it in a couple of days. Not much replay value, either. Story is lame, but then again, if you're playing God of War for story then you're doing it wrong.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    A bit of a letdown. More "God of War" than "God of War II" -- which isn't a good thing. Control issues, way too short, and they didn't do anything with the Titans that they promised.

Solid game. Probably don't need to buy it as you'll be done with it in a couple of days. Not much replay value, either. Story is lame, but then again, if you're playing God of War for story then you're doing it wrong.
    What do you mean exactly? Im just curious.

The length is arguably ok, it took me nearly 12 hours.