Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Yes, I'm glad they changed it. Vaan isn't perfect but he has a naiive perspective on things that makes him more relatable to the player, as he understands less about the world than say Ashe or Basch, just like we do.

Basch was just too cliche, it would've been less interesting to have him as the protagonist although the game would have a completely different feel to it if he was, I think.
    jkhkjg

When I clicked reply, I was going to say that perhaps Vaan's being the main character was essential for the players to get into Revenant Wings sufficiently. But then I remembered that the sequel to VII is based on a character which it is not even mandatory to have in your party.

So now I don't know what to say.

...So I'll just shut up.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    Basch was just too cliche, it would've been less interesting to have him as the protagonist although the game would have a completely different feel to it if he was, I think.
    Basch was a bit cliche but no more than 90% of FF characters.

I really would've liked to see more of what happened through his POV, like expanding on what it was like for him in the prison, and seeing the parts in between the beginning of the game to the "two years later" thing, and possibly seeing other underused parts of the game such as Nabudis. On a quick sidenote, that probably would've meant Reddas getting more screentime rather than him just kind of...appearing like he did.

Vaan and by extention Penelo were nothing but fanservice to Squeenix's target audience. For whatever reason the Japanese really seem to like young, androgynus boys and inappropriately cheerful Mary Sue characters, which didn't ruin the game for me, but kind of cheapened it. This was the first FF in awhile where I was actually interested in the story, and somehow with Vaan taking the lead it felt a bit chopped up and dumbed down.

Then again, Balthier probably wouldn't have been nearly as relevant if it wasn't for Vaan's presense, but it's all just speculation anyhow.
    Last edited by The Space Pope; 07-31-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    derp

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    street rat in Rabanastre
    "You're a street rat. I don't buy that. If only they looked closer. Would they see a poor boy? No sirree.

I guess if there's no Vaan then there's no Penelo either. I think the game would also have benefited without Ashe too.
    Oh, come on!
    Let me say it one more time I don't think you heard me.

I think the game would also have benefited without Ashe too.
    Actually, I agree.
    I really didn't see how she was the main character anyway. Sure the main objective in the story was to get her back to the throne but I still don't really remember her standing out as a main character.
    Then again, it's been a while since I played XII.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Ashe was basically there to say "Okay, let's go to ___ to retrieve ___ so we can go to ___ and then ___"
    derp

Articles
    Blog Entries

Basch is a better character and more relevant. Vaan was worthless. As was Penelo.

If Basch was the main character, we wouldn't have the bit this thread title came from.

So, no, Vaan stays.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We would have still had that part, its not like Basch wasn't in the party at the time.

Really, when you start to look at his whole backstory it seems to me the game left it all to him from when they were planning to be the main character. He abandons his home as it was conquered by the Empire, joins Dalmasca's knights and rises to the rank of Captain, fails to protect his future king and is betrayed by his brother and framed for the murder of his liege where he is imprisoned in a dark cell for several years while the world moves on. He is set free by a street orphan and a sky pirate and now has the chance to save the princess and Dalmasca while battling the empire that stole everything from him.

This scenario is pretty much on par with Cecil, Terra, and Cloud's storylines.

Its a pretty good story that could have easily carried the game. I feel if Basch had been the lead, the story may have been darker and probably closer to Tactics and Vagrant Story in terms of grimness and complexity.

Also, people who feel Ashe served no point in the plot seriously didn't pay attention to XII's story. Its like saying X's story wouldn't change without Yuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Also, people who feel Ashe served no point in the plot seriously didn't pay attention to XII's story. Its like saying X's story wouldn't change without Yuna.
    All removing Yuna would do is get rid of the nonsense with Seymour. The true crux of X's plot revolves around Auron.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    All removing Yuna would do is get rid of the nonsense with Seymour. The true crux of X's plot revolves around Auron.
    While I can see your point, one might argue that if not for Tidus and Yuna, Auron would have had no reason to remain unsent.

Only way

YouTube - Mega64: Final Fantasy XII

comment if you've seen or like
    Embrace your dreams.....

[jiro]Your sig is a bit over the limit pal - J[/jiro]

Rather the main be either Ashe or Basch, and bring in to two more characters more relevant to the story. Penelo and Vaan would not have stuck out that oddly if they were just add ons that joined later in the game.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhowi View Post
    Only way

YouTube - Mega64: Final Fantasy XII

comment if you've seen or like
    I've seen that I dunno how many times and I still don't know what that fat guy's problem is.

Also as far as I'm concerned Ashe is the main character.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

i find my self useing vaan alot, but cant seem to get the guy, either basch or ashe would be good leads but i prefer the leading man him self.

<funny thing happened> vaan was standing in ffront of balthier and died right as balthier shot a wolf, i had to pause the game cus i started laughing.