Thread: The Viera

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Viera

I severely dislike the fact that Freya is treated like an outsider by the Viera simply because she befriended a human and chooses to stay by his side. Do the Viera really take that much pride in their race that they'll banish anyone who chooses to befriend someone from another race? Racism sucks.

TOPIC: Do you think the Viera people exiling Freya for wanting to be friends with a human is a smart move or a poor one?

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The playboy race never really made any smart decisions.

Her Name is Fran not Freya.

I think they are more annoyed because she's the leaders sister, I guess they figured she should set a good example.
    I like that Fran has a difficult choice to make, being free or being at home. She's a rebel at heart like Balthier
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oops, I had a feeling I was wrong about her name. I wanted to play it to make sure but the PS2 is packed away

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seeing as how the Viera are basically the Ivalice equivalent of the Tolkien Elves (isolationist, in touch with the natural world, arrogant self righteous assholes) I'm not surprised they made the choice.

I feel the point of Fran's story is the nature of progress and how it affects traditions and social norms as other cultures begin to adopt the qualities of other cultures they come into contact with. Despite being one of the more long lived races, its amusing how Humes actually do more with their lives than they do, which is basically what happens exactly in the world of Middle Earth but also shares parallels with ethnic tribes coming into contact with Western influences.

I'd imagine if they made a title set a few hundred years after XII but before the Cataclysm, the Viera would almost all be assimilated into Hume culture like the Moogles, Bangaa, and Nu Muo have been and the last groups would be the Garif trying to hold onto their culture.