Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The CK competition and the staff

Banned
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries

...Some things are seen and then they can't be unseen.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Does this mean I get to ban Raistlin?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not really sure why this thread stayed open after I closed it. Raistlin, you know better than to reopen threads that mods have closed.

But whatever. I done with this. If another staff wants to keep arguing they can go ahead.

I will part with this: maybe we have played favorites in this competition and maybe we haven't. The fact of the matter is you have no evidence of favortism besides wild speculation. Just look at the remaining contestants. They all got there by doing those annoying tasks and not by any sort of favortism. You really Freya is a staff favorite? Her warning thread is longer than my...well never mind.

I know I'm the former leader of the 'Elitist party' but there really isn't any elite group of members. Everyone is subject to the same rules in this contest and in general.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

Default i read the first page then realised it was 3 pages and was like woah smurf that

I never liked the CK competitions because I felt obliged to take it deadly seriously and pretend I was interested in things I wasn't. Making EVERYONE think up and create pointless threads on topics they don't actually care about isn't that interesting.

there was a picture here

Banned
    Blog Entries

There should be polls so the dictatorship cannot make the choices.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I reopened the thread, which I explicitly stated in my last post so I'm not sure why it is such a mystery. I don't know why it didn't show up in the history.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup
    Because someone felt like insisting he be voted off. From my perspective the competition is still fun even if you don't have a chance; not everyone agrees.
    And here I thought the whole reason for the obnoxious tasks was you insisted on the competition being done your way. At least you being solely in charge explains the complete lack of respect the tasks shows for the members.

So some people consider it a fun and challenging game while others consider it grueling tasks and jumping through hoops.
    So you agree that staff members can have the latter view and it's considered valid... but I'm not allowed to have that without a bunch of name-calling?

Quote Originally Posted by Del
    I will part with this: maybe we have played favorites in this competition and maybe we haven't. The fact of the matter is you have no evidence of favortism besides wild speculation. Just look at the remaining contestants.
    That's really my point -- Breine was shown favoritism by being let out, instead of being misled into "jumping through hoops" for no reason, and it has been quite obvious that other members are just left to scramble to do ridiculous tasks without such consideration. You've also been blatantly supporting that view in all of your posts.

EDIT: As if I needed any more proof, the fourth task has members trying to outdo each other by submitting the most info for the frontsite -- which the staff themselves, outside of SS members, rarely do! I thought there was little that could be even more obnoxious than the third task, but I was wrong.
    Last edited by Raistlin; 03-25-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I reopened the thread, which I explicitly stated in my last post so I'm not sure why it is such a mystery. I don't know why it didn't show up in the history.
    Saying you think it should be open is not explicitly stating that you opened, and we're frankly kind of shocked that you'd just re-open a thread that Tony closed.
    And here I thought the whole reason for the obnoxious tasks was you insisted on the competition being done your way. At least you being solely in charge explains the complete lack of respect the tasks shows for the members.
    Firstly, I'm not solely in charge. Most staffers also like these tasks. Most members seem to as well. The only one complaining here about "lack of respect" is you.

I took a pointless, drawn-out competition and made it efficient and relevant. We need someone to knight, we got many volunteers and can now more easily assess what they have to offer; we need more activity, we got it; we need help with the front site, we got it; hell we even just plain had fun with the first task.

Have you not noticed yet that you're the only one who seems to feel this way? Sure there are a few other people that aren't a fan of the competition, but most people are enjoying it. I'm wondering why you, specifically, are just so intent on harping on this in spite of the fact that most people do not share your perspective. What do you intend to accomplish here? Is your goal to stop the competition so no one gets to have fun just because you believe you're too good for these tasks?

So you agree that staff members can have the latter view and it's considered valid... but I'm not allowed to have that without a bunch of name-calling?
    There aren't any staff members being asses about it. They stated their opinions and then, seeing others having a good time, let it go.

That's really my point -- Breine was shown favoritism by being let out, instead of being misled into "jumping through hoops" for no reason, and it has been quite obvious that other members are just left to scramble to do ridiculous tasks without such consideration. You've also been blatantly supporting that view in all of your posts.
    You just seem to be unable to grasp that the rest of the contestants have a chance to win, while Breine never did. And you just keep rubbing it in his face, which I think is pretty cold.

EDIT: As if I needed any more proof, the fourth task has members trying to outdo each other by submitting the most info for the frontsite -- which the staff themselves, outside of SS members, rarely do! I thought there was little that could be even more obnoxious than the third task, but I was wrong.
    I knew you'd complain about task four. A task that shows who is more capable of helping with the frontsite (which I stated we're looking for), gets us help with the frontsite that we do need, and is challenging? Heaven forbid. Heaven forbid.

You're right, writing essays about how we feel about our feelings and talking behind each other's backs in our cute little journal threads was way more productive.

I'm calling it: Raist is smurfing with us. There is no way he could possibly think us having fun is such an absolute crime and yet think the other competitions and their pointless over-complicated confessionals and teams and stuff was just plain fine. Haha, April Fools, you almost had me.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    You really Freya is a staff favorite? Her warning thread is longer than my...well never mind.
    So not very long then ?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I don't know for sure what's going on in there, but I gather that at the moment Breine is the only 100% NO. Everyone else has a shot, even if you think it may be a very small chance. If we didn't want to do this we wouldn't. Suppose I knew for 100% sure that I couldn't win. I will admit that I'd give up looking for threads I can close for a good reason and just be a total nazi about the ones I pick (that photo looks suspiciously like a penis! close it!), however I would still do frontsite submissions. It's been on my list of things to do for some time now, and right now is the best opportunity. I'm having fun.

Also I don't really appreciate you insulting our intelligence ._.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thank you, Jess! He says the competition shows a lack of respect for the competitors, but I sincerely feel that his implying that any one of you doesn't have a chance to be a CK ever is downright insulting. And it seems to me that all this talk about making you guys do all these 'so mean' tasks implies that you aren't smart or strong enough to make your own decisions.

If any contestant doesn't want to do the task then they just plain don't have to.

Though I'm sticking with my "Raist is getting us back for all the April Fool's Days we've smurfed with him" theory.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I know I said I was done, but I can't help it because this is driving me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    I took a pointless, drawn-out competition and made it efficient and relevant. We need someone to knight, we got many volunteers and can now more easily assess what they have to offer; we need more activity, we got it; we need help with the front site, we got it; hell we even just plain had fun with the first task.
    I worked hard on those competitions and don't appreciate you calling them pointless and drawn-out. Just because you decided that instead of just picking people to fill our depleted ranks like usual we quickly throw together this illusion of a competition doesn't make it more 'efficient' or 'relevant'. In fact I think it makes it less so, because it takes away the true and unbiased evaluation process that is the spirit behind this competition.

I'll level with you guys because I think it will help clear the air. Breine isn't the only 100% NO. There are others. Of course there are others! We can't just let anyone in here. Breine is only a special case because of his status as a member and the fact that he was a finalist before. We don't have time to go over each applicant individually and screen out all the bad eggs before the contest starts. Espcially this time since Amanda left the applications open for only like 2 days. So we just let them play, in the interest of fairness. It's also amusing to us to see their entries. Needless to say, the finalists are the ones we had in mind from the beginning so everything works out.

I'm sick of this discussion so I'm closing this again. Everything that needed to be said (and more) has been said, and now we're just rehashing arguments.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You don't like the way I run it, I don't like the way you run it. I'm working hard and don't appreciate your constant criticism either! At least when you ran it I kept my comments private. This isn't the first time you've done this to me either. Jeez. You're "I'm so chillax but I will totally open cans of worms and leave other to deal with it" game is getting tiring.

Whatever. The rest of us are still having fun.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Del: I swear, you are intentionally trying to be obnoxiously irritating. You say “I’m done, someone else can close it if they want,” and then when another staff member keeps up the discussion and decides not to close it and the discussion to continue, you come back and close it anyway! Seriously, this stuff warrants talking about. At least try to remember what you said 5 minutes ago. I’m reopening this again so the actual constructive discussion can continue. You even criticized this year’s competition, so you should approve of this more open discussion.

I took a pointless, drawn-out competition and made it efficient and relevant.
    The last CK competition was highly entertaining and promoted activity by indirect means (people enjoyed it so much they posted more) instead of forcing activity alone.

I'm wondering why you, specifically, are just so intent on harping on this in spite of the fact that most people do not share your perspective.
    Most people are dumb. You of all people know the truth of that.

What do you intend to accomplish here? Is your goal to stop the competition so no one gets to have fun just because you believe you're too good for these tasks?
    Considering I liked the last competition so much, why would I want it to go away? I actually looked forward to this year’s.

You just seem to be unable to grasp that the rest of the contestants have a chance to win, while Breine never did. And you just keep rubbing it in his face, which I think is pretty cold.
    This is just classic. Me pointing out the ridiculous treatment of Breine is “cold,” yet the staff’s treatment of Breine in the first place wasn’t?

I'm calling it: Raist is smurfing with us. There is no way he could possibly think us having fun is such an absolute crime and yet think the other competitions and their pointless over-complicated confessionals and teams and stuff was just plain fine. Haha, April Fools, you almost had me.
    Oh get over yourself, seriously; not everything I do is all about messing with you. The revelation about Breine and the obnoxious tasks are far more ridiculous than me pointing those things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweee
    Also I don't really appreciate you insulting our intelligence ._.
    Wait, what? I’ve been criticizing the Staff for taking blatant advantage of you to do busy work for them. You even admitted if you knew the truth, and it happened to be against you, that you wouldn’t want to participate that much. If the staff is willing to tell people that (see: Breine), wouldn’t you like to?

He says the competition shows a lack of respect for the competitors, but I sincerely feel that his implying that any one of you doesn't have a chance to be a CK ever is downright insulting.
    Jesus Christ, Amanda, do you just sit down at night and think of things I never said to attribute to me? I have no idea if who has a shot and doesn’t. ALSO, you said "everyone else but Breine" still has a shot in the competition, and he was the only definite no. Del explicitly contradicted that, which just further proves my point.

At least Del is being somewhat honest and straightforward, even if everything he says is outright terrible. He even called it an “illusion” of a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Del
    Breine isn't the only 100% NO. There are others. Of course there are others! We can't just let anyone in here. Breine is only a special case because of his status as a member and the fact that he was a finalist before.
    So you’re conceding Breine’s “status” affected that decision?

Just because you decided that instead of just picking people to fill our depleted ranks like usual we quickly throw together this illusion of a competition… Needless to say, the finalists are the ones we had in mind from the beginning so everything works out.
    There are seriously no words. Yet AGAIN, if real finalists are ones you had in mind from the “beginning,” why are you content to have everyone else pointlessly jump through hoops? At least tell people this information beforehand so they can have some sort of informed choice!