Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The CK competition and the staff

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You obviously don't get it and are only reading out of what I'm say that you want.

YES, If I knew I wouldn't want to play. If you knew you had no chance at winning say a final fantasy game. Would you play? Most likely not if you absolutely knew it was a non winnable game. You would not spend your time doing whatever to get to whatever if you lose in the end.

Let me try to explain this AGAIN. The point isn't who wins it's what happens along the way.

If I tell you right now you will not become a lawyer and will fail out of law school and this was a for sure thing. It was the complete truth, you would not want to spend your time there.

But that is what you want people to know. You are acting like people have to know right away that they wont make it. If they know right away they wont play, they wont have fun, and they wont change opinions.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

If you tell people their standings right away then there is no point to the game.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BoB, it's getting out of control. I think it's time...

..bring out the bar charts.

May history forgive us.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Hooooookay, been ignoring this thread, but I figured I may as well get my say in this in.

If everyone who didn't have a shot knew they didn't have a shot, barely anyone would have even signed up. Kind of ruins the point.

Hell, even I know my chances of winning are pretty weak. It's not like I'm not aware of my rather poor track record here, and I would not be surprised at all if I was one of the people eliminated in past years because of my history here as an argumentative troll. However, I'm in this, regardless, because, win or lose, I have fun playing along. Really, that's probably the biggest point in these competitions, or else I'm sure the admins would have just picked who they had in mind from the start and not bothered with spending a ton of time organizing a game. Of course there is going to be favoritism in the long run, because the staff need to be able to be compatible with each other. Why the hell would they pick someone who'd always make things difficult for them or potentially cause an unnecessary conflict?

Personally, I think anyone who enters this competition expecting to win is missing the point. You can try your very best to win, and I assure you I'm giving it my all, but a huge point of this is to have some fun with it along the way. I realize you don't find Shlup's version of the competition to be fun, and that's fine, but it really isn't fair to say it's any worse; it's just different. I'm actually enjoying this one more than I have the past two, because the tasks in the competition so far have sparked a ton of activity, which has actually made things quite a bit more interesting around here, especially since it seems that things have been stagnating these past few months. After Task 2, there have been a ton of new threads to post in and discuss stuff. Task 3 got us posting in those threads. Now that most of the contestants have been eliminated, it's time to get down to business and start doing things Cid's Knights should be doing-- scanning the forums for threads that need to be closed, making sure the forums stay free of inappropriate posts, and making sure the rules are upheld, as well as pitching in for the frontsite-- which I must say, as a Site Staff Cid's Engineer, is sincerely, wholeheartedly appreciated. I find it incredibly unfortunate that you can't see it this way, and treat it as some horrible conspiracy, with pointless arguing along the way, and abusing your ability to reopen closed threads. It isn't funny, it's not cute, and frankly I don't even know what you're trying to accomplish anymore.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Let me clarify. I wouldn't necessarily like to know if I had a shot or not. I would probably just half-ass that particular part of the current task that I mentioned if I found out somehow.

Most if not all of these tasks deemed un- or poorly related to being a CK, such as the large amount of posting and frontsite contribution has benefited EoFF. A forum community we are very fond of and spend quite a large amount of our internet time on. I don't feel used, just useful!

Shlup did say right off the bat that the winner had a 'chance' at becoming CK. Not that they were guaranteed. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by shlupquack
    So, like, sometimes we feel like we need more mods around here so we make you compete for it and then may not Knight you anyway but that's cool 'cause it's all in good fun amirite? Yes.
    Right up front - first lines of when this thing got started. So shlup the duck up.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    Shlup did say right off the bat that the winner had a 'chance' at becoming CK. Not that they were guaranteed. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by shlupquack
    So, like, sometimes we feel like we need more mods around here so we make you compete for it and then may not Knight you anyway but that's cool 'cause it's all in good fun amirite? Yes.
    Right up front - first lines of when this thing got started. So shlup the duck up.
    Now all we need are some of those graphs and charts, and this thread is won.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    So shlup the duck up.
    Best new phrase. STDU!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Things Raistlin is unable to grasp:

1) Saying what you think his statements imply is not the same as accusing him of saying those things and is not an attempt to quote him, it's simply saying how the things he did say make you feel about his perspective. In this case, that the contestants aren't smart enough to make their own choices. (eg, "Freya: I’m not going to get into this with you, but you don’t seem to understand really what’s going on or what’s actually been said.")

2) Not getting an answer that supports his his theories, not getting the answers he wants, is not the same as not getting an answer at all. Accusing a person of just plain not answering doesn't make it true; sometimes you just have to accept the answers you are given.

3) "(which is what Del said and Shlup contradicted)" should read "(which is what Shlup said and Del contradicted)"

Once you realize Raistlin is unable to grasp these concepts it's much easier to go do something productive with your time. Like take puppies for walks to watch ducks!

Banned

The people in this topic who say they are only doing this competition for fun are terribad liars.

Nobody knew what was going to happen in the competition when they all signed up. Nobody knew what they were going to be forced to do. And nobody knew that some of them wouldn't stand a chance either (though this is arguable). Everybody signed up for this competition because they all wanted that blue title. Nobody would be making all these threads and posts and jumping through these hoops if they knew for sure that they would get nothing in return.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    Everybody signed up for this competition because they all wanted that blue title.
    You are implicating that everyone signed up for this competition.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You assume Pupu that we can't have fun doing it. Yeah we may want the title but we're having fun while trying to get it.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    The people in this topic who say they are only doing this competition for fun are terribad liars.
    True, but anyone who enters the competition with expectation to win is also arrogant. Anyone entering the competition probably has assumptions where they stand. Many enter anyway. Sure, it'd be nice to win, but I know personally I won't cry myself to sleep if I didn't.

Really, I can't believe this topic still is being posted in, "Staff already had ideas about people!" You couldn't figure that out? Really?

Banned

But this goes back to what Raistlin said, that if all of you knew that you didn't have a chance of winning, you wouldn't have done this competition. I know you're all having fun, but you all didn't do the competition for the purpose of having fun. You all did it for the sole purpose of expecting to win that title.

Really, I can't believe this topic still is being posted in, "Staff already had ideas about people!" You couldn't figure that out? Really?
    Dude, I established this long before Raistlin even made this topic.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you're confusing "expect to win" with "hope to win." There is a difference.

Banned

They're synonyms, you know.

At least, according to Dictionary.com