Thread: The CK competition and the staff

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default The CK competition and the staff

I tried to walk away. Really, I did. I played some FFXIII, did some work for the frontsite, watched some TV. Other things. But then I came back and saw the third round “challenge” for the CK competition, which has turned from entertaining events to a blatant ploy to boost activity while the staff sits on some predetermined favorites.

It is now all too clear why Breine was eliminated so he didn’t have to “jump through hoops,” because this CK competition is getting more and more ridiculous. I am almost eager to see how the third round can even be topped.

But why only Breine? Why wasn’t everyone without a real chance at least given a choice, instead of being misled into taking part and trying hard for a perceived legitimate chance at something some of the competitors might actually give a crap about. The staff is certainly not showing the regular members the respect and consideration that should be expected to anyone in a community. “Hey, Breine, sit this one out, but the rest of you make a zillion threads and try really hard, even though you don’t have any more of a chance.”

I suppose I’m making this thread to ask, what purpose is this really supposed to serve? Is there really ANY purpose behind this year’s competition except to temporarily boost activity? If that staff has come to predetermined conclusions about certain favorites, is it ok to express otherwise?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I see it as an event not so much as just the CK comp. Yeah if you win I guess you get that CK title but I like the activity. You're just being a negative nancy.

Then again, not even the ck's and admins post as much as they are making these players. It kinda seems like "How much time can we make them waste!"

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't paid much really attention to the competition this year, but I am glad I haven't joined because it would require me to post a load of times, and I don't spend a lot of time posting here as much as I would like to.

Though, you do make a good point. I have noticed a great increase of posting activity since this competition has started, which is good for the forums since it clearly needs the activity. I think it might have something to do with this competition, but if that is the case, the activity may drop once this is done and over.

As for Breine being eliminated and all, I don't really care about that, seeing I'm not really paying attention to this competition at all.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The contest this year is a lot harder and some would say less fun, but if this is just a staff ploy to boost activity then good on 'em. Anyone that gets seriously disheartened by not progressing in this contest shouldn't be in it.

You just show up, have some fun and if by some stroke of luck you become a CK, then well I'm not sure what happens then but you just do it. At the end of the day, it's all about having fun. If everyone failed in the first round, we'd still get CKs out of it so it doesn't really matter.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jumping to some interesting conclusions there, Raist. What did I say about making an ass out of u and me?

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Then again, not even the ck's and admins post as much as they are making these players.
    I made over 100 post just yesterday. I've been on the top five posters list every day for months. Sure, not every staffer is that active, but a lot are. I don't think 50 is that much. I was going to make it 100 but decided against it at the last minute.

Activity is good and I, personally, am enjoying it very much. If you don't like the activity, if you don't want to generate it as a contestant, then... don't. (Referring to anyone, not just you, Freya.)

It seems to me that most people are enjoying it though.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Jumping to some interesting conclusions there, Raist. What did I say about making an ass out of u and me?
    Del already explicitly stated most of what I said in the OP. Also, good job on AGAIN avoiding addressing anything I actually said. When did you become such a wussy arguer?

If I'm wrong, say it. Tell me why it's wrong, and why this competition isn't simply a ploy, and why the staff haven't already reached conclusions about competitors. Was Breine an anomaly or a trend?

I made over 100 post just yesterday. I've been on the top five posters list every day for months. Sure, not every staffer is that active, but a lot are.
    No other staffer is as active as you, because not everyone can be unemployed hobos. Not every competitor can be, either.

EDIT: also, how is this even a competition anymore? What does making 50 posts prove? Are you actually going to read them all? It seems like this whole competition has been people do busy work and some random non-favorites are eliminated.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    The contest this year is a lot harder and some would say less fun, but if this is just a staff ploy to boost activity then good on 'em. Anyone that gets seriously disheartened by not progressing in this contest shouldn't be in it.

You just show up, have some fun and if by some stroke of luck you become a CK, then well I'm not sure what happens then but you just do it. At the end of the day, it's all about having fun. If everyone failed in the first round, we'd still get CKs out of it so it doesn't really matter.
    Can we make Jiro a CK just because he's awesome?

Jiro is right, if you can't or don't feel like doing all this, bow out, take a leave, no one will question you if you do so gracefully. Those who stay in are just going to promote precious activity throughout the forum and for those who actually like forums they'll have a blast! If you had no chance from the beginning and you went all the way, but didn't make it, look at the ride, not the end. The other option is the staff quietly discusses and picks like what was tradition (which they are quite obviously doing as well this way anyway) and the rest of the forum misses out on some fun.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

People seem to be enjoying the spike of activity; maybe we should just have monthly POST A LOT days.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm sorry that you don't like the tasks, but we certainly aren't playing favorites. Except for one instance, people are being eliminated based on their merit in the competition. That one instance was a special case.

I'm assuming Amanda is going to read all of the 50 posts because she made it a round. I'm certainly not going to read all of them.

You should be happy that you're still in the running, Raistlin. Your entries have been a joke so far.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Del already explicitly stated most of what I said in the OP. Also, good job on AGAIN avoiding addressing anything I actually said. When did you become such a wussy arguer?

If I'm wrong, say it. Tell me why it's wrong, and why this competition isn't simply a ploy, and why the staff haven't already reached conclusions about competitors. Was Breine an anomaly or a trend?
    You're just going to have to deal with the fact that you're wrong. Breine, as has been said, was an anomaly. Sometimes a person doesn't get modded because one current staffer said no. We tend to go all or nothing in these decisions.

Why would I bother addressing anything you said, really? It's just you bitching because "oh noes, the staff came up with a plan that makes the forum more active and people are voluntarily participating; it r a travesty."

I don't get why you're harping on this. Are you not enjoying the boost in activity? Do you really honestly suspect that we've already decided who will win and no one else has a chance? Is the game just so awful to participate in that it isn't worth it unless you're going to win the grand prize? Because there's only going to be one winner. If it isn't you are you going to pull a "See! I told you! They probably decided on _____ from the start! Mean ol' staff, making me actually post on a message board..."? Because if you're going to go all conspiracy theory on us you can just stfu already; it's not cute.

I made over 100 post just yesterday. I've been on the top five posters list every day for months. Sure, not every staffer is that active, but a lot are.
    No other staffer is as active as you, because not everyone can be unemployed hobos. Not every competitor can be, either.

EDIT: also, how is this even a competition anymore? What does making 50 posts prove? Are you actually going to read them all? It seems like this whole competition has been people do busy work and some random non-favorites are eliminated.
    Which is why I lowered the required post count by half. Making 50 posts proves you're dedicated. If you do it well it proves you're not a retarded. And I may very well read them all; as you've noticed I am a very active poster. I read all the threads created for task two!

And duh our non-favorites are eliminated, after looking at everyone's submissions. That's how it works! These types of games are subjective.

You don't watch enough reality TV.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

sleeping with a staff member so they select you for their team only has a 33.3% success rate
    although I heard the chances are higher for things like herpes and babies (or the sick fusion of the two)

Blog Entries

Whoa there, Clone Wars, we have a thread like this already; sorry that Sagensyg stole your thunder, but you should keep the topic as one!

I was going to actually address a few posters' points, but your walls of text are making my eyes glaze; this is not a complicated issue! The administrators and moderators have a thing for causing a big hullabaloo over these things, skewing the results to their benefit, and doing what they wanted in the first place; this is not a new practice and I am frankly surprised anyone cares that much. What is going to happen if the fora staff continue acting this way?! Are people actually going to leave the fora!?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If people want to leave over us promoting activity through games and knighting people we think would be good mods then they are welcome to do so. *shrug*

Blog Entries

Surely no one is that drama-oriented!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Is there really ANY purpose behind this year’s competition except to temporarily boost activity?
    April Fool's!