Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: >> No FF Victory Fanfare??

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Haha, I was waiting for someone to mention Fire2-3. Again, you are happy for that to change, but not other bits. There are far more dramatic changes one can make than a victory fanfare and that's why I don't get the big deal. I can understand people being upset about poor gameplay, poor characters, poor story, etc. But when people say "it's a different victory fanfare and this makes it no longer an FF" then my mind gets thrown a bit.

I still think it's predominantly do to with Nobuo not doing this one. I don't know for certain who has the tune copyright but it could well be that either the old or the new composer made a request for it to be different so that they can say "this is my work, nobody else does it as it's something I feel is tied to myself rather than the FF series". I'm sure they did think it over but there is more than one party to consider and I imagine that when the new composer was finally told he can have the entire game to himself, he would have been pretty annoyed if he was told that all the music that isn't going to be talked over is not allowed to be his own work. The lead composer should always be the one who created the "lead music" - I'm talking more theme music and intro music here than fanfare, but I imagine fanfare could be seen in a similar way.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Since FFX different composers have put their own mark in the FF games and I have never complained before.. Im just asking (and I guess most of the loyal ff fans too) for victory fanfare and the 2 main FF themes, thats all..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

They might have put their own mark on it, but Nobuo was still involved. This is the first where he is not.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Thats right, now SE doesnt give a about their FF fans..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Because Nobuo isn't involved? It was his choice, I understand. Blame him. Obviously he doesn't give a about his fans.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Blame him. Obviously he doesn't give a about his fans.
    >>> You mean FF fans, I will always be a fan of Nobuo`s music despite he works for the FF titles or not..

And I really wonder if it was really his decision..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

"Although the game's main theme was originally announced to be composed by Nobuo Uematsu, Hamauzu was assigned to it after Uematsu was selected as the composer for Final Fantasy XIV, making XIII the first entry in the numbered Final Fantasy series without Uematsu involved."

Basically he gave up doing a main theme in favour of being numero uno when it comes to an entire online game. I'd say it was a pretty easy call for him/SE.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Basically he gave up doing a main theme in favour of being numero uno when it comes to an entire online game. I'd say it was a pretty easy call for him/SE.
    >>> And a big mistake too..

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

are you serious? the "ff victory fanfare" is annoying and irrelevant to the quality of any of the games. why would anyone want to listen to it on a soundtrack? it is bad enough to have to hear it after every random battle.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Yeah, its so irrelevant that we kept hearing it until FFXII and for 20 years ..

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have never in my life thought while playing any game, "gee, this fanfare at the end of each battle contributes to my enjoyment." overworld music is important. dungeon music is important. battle music is important. boss music is important. main theme music is important. victory fanfare, not so much.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I was not happy with the change from Fire2 to Fira, but my point was that it became a new tradition so I can deal with it an move on. If they wanted to insert a new fanfare theme and go with it for future installments I probably wouldn't like it, but I think it is line with the treatment the series deserves.

here are far more dramatic changes one can make than a victory fanfare and that's why I don't get the big deal. I can understand people being upset about poor gameplay, poor characters, poor story, etc. But when people say "it's a different victory fanfare and this makes it no longer an FF" then my mind gets thrown a bit.
    Because we have lots of other threads to complain about all of those
    I've been trying to say that it is the victory fanfare in concert with a bunch of other factors that make it not feel like a FF title.

I still think it's predominantly do to with Nobuo not doing this one. I don't know for certain who has the tune copyright but it could well be that either the old or the new composer made a request for it to be different so that they can say "this is my work, nobody else does it as it's something I feel is tied to myself rather than the FF series". I'm sure they did think it over but there is more than one party to consider and I imagine that when the new composer was finally told he can have the entire game to himself, he would have been pretty annoyed if he was told that all the music that isn't going to be talked over is not allowed to be his own work. The lead composer should always be the one who created the "lead music" - I'm talking more theme music and intro music here than fanfare, but I imagine fanfare could be seen in a similar way.
    Interesting, I have never thought of that angle before.

If you were asked to compose the music for FF## you would probably be way more excited than for RPGx. That is because FF has a name and history behind it. If on the same token you feel above paying homage to that name and history you are a selfish douche bag. Of course I feel most creative types are predisposed to that anyways.

Blog Entries

The traditional fanfare is far too slow for the fast-paced feel of the game and battles, at least that's what I imagine their reasoning to be. Hence this new cut-down but similar arrangement.

I was hoping for/expecting it to be used somewhere though. "Boss battle! Maybe now?".... nope. "How about when I complete a mission?"... nope. "Maybe a minigame then?"... what minigame? Etc. Oh well /mourn

It's understandable... I'm starting to get the distinct impression (or 'get the hint' perhaps) that S-E are trying to shake off the expectations of certain 'traditional' elements in FF to give them more freedom, and have been doing for the past couple of games at least. They probably got tired of having to do things in particular ways because it "has to have" airship navigation, summons, etc. I bet we'll even see one without chocobos soon (FF8 came close to that already).
    Me, I want more of the same. But as they've explicitly stated, they're trying to attract more new blood rather than catering to the existing audience all the time.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It's understandable... I'm starting to get the distinct impression (or 'get the hint' perhaps) that S-E are trying to shake off the expectations of certain 'traditional' elements in FF to give them more freedom, and have been doing for the past couple of games at least. They probably got tired of having to do things in particular ways because it "has to have" airship navigation, summons, etc. I bet we'll even see one without chocobos soon (FF8 came close to that already).
    The thing that irks me the most about this (which I imagine is the closest thing we can deduce to reality without working at SE) is that 'they' have the attitude that you can change the series traditions to stuff that makes it more relivant to the game as an individual entity. But if you are doing that, why is the title of limits? Final Fantasy Thirteen? What could have less to do with the game? If they truly did value this creative integrity that makes them not have to pay homage in game, shouldn't they ditch the archaic title that has no relevancy to the game and have one that is inspired and fits into the game?

I know the reason the title will change is because FFXIII will move more copies than anything else you could name it. Having companies put profits first isn't anything new to me, it is what they are supposed to do. I just dislike having my nose rubbed in it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

There were chocobos, the enemies were traditional FF enemies, the spells were traditional FF spells, the battle system was a traditional FF battle system, the job roles, although named differently, were traditional FF job roles, the chocobo music was there, there were references to every FF thing under the sun, there were crystals (which can be considered traditional FF things). In all honesty, some of the things I missed the most in a traditional sense were more simple than most might consider: Where was Ifrit?