Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heretical Final Fantasy Admissions

Default Heretical Final Fantasy Admissions

Admitting you like or don't like something many other FF fans do/don't.

I'll give an example.

I think Seymour from FFX was a good villain. He was characterized well and the hatred of his voice-actor is undeserved. He had some great lines, especially during the final battle. "You should thank me! Your death means your father's life."

Now your turn.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

- I started the series with FFVII, so that will always be a black mark against me in the eyes of some.

- I dislike Cid in FFIV

- I dislike Vivi in FFIX

I'm sure I'll think of dozens more as the week goes by. Nice thread idea.

ASIDE: Funny story. Back when I was living in a house with two other guys I was in the common room playing FFXII, with the other gamer roomie in the same room. A friend of roomate #3 walks in before they leave for the bar and says (all quotes paraphrased)
    W: "oh, this is what FFXII looks like. I remember was really into FFVIII back in the day. Such an amazing game. Well, got to go."
    after he leaves roomate #2 and myself turn to each other
    R#2: "Man, I can't believe he liked FFVIII"
    Me: "I know, I totally see him in a different light now"
    R#2:: "Completely"
    Thinking about the whole exchange always amuses me.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    - I dislike Vivi in FFIX
    To each his own. But still... WHAAT?!

Here are mine (and I wholly admit that several will contradict others):

-I don't think FFIV is a particularly great game. It's good, but nowhere near as good as its immediate predecessor and successor.

-I think V is easily the best of the old-school games (I-V) and maybe even the best out of the entire 2D saga (I-VI). During a full moon, I may even argue that it was the best in the series before XII came along.

-I think IX's story is absolute garbage. Some of its subplots contain the best moments in the series, but as a whole the entire thing is stunningly badly written.

-Same goes for VIII, except no subplot magic this time.

-I think VII is probably the best game in the whole series and I also think the ending is very satisfying dramatically. VII is usually my personal standard for judging all other video games. I've never had a gaming experience as absolutely compelling as my first time through FFVII. It's complete rosy nostalgia and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-I think VIII is a pretty good game all things considered and still admire old Square for trying to be original after the blockbuster VII.

-I think XII is probably the best game in the whole series as far as gameplay goes (which, from some perspectives, makes it the best game overall). Only V competes, really. The Gambit system is genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Admitting you like or don't like something many other FF fans do/don't.

I'll give an example.

I think Seymour from FFX was a good villain. He was characterized well and the hatred of his voice-actor is undeserved. He had some great lines, especially during the final battle. "You should thank me! Your death means your father's life."

Now your turn.
    The character deserves far more bashing than the voice actor, I will admit that much.

Mine:

I think the Tactics Advance games were vastly superior to the original Tactics game.

I thought XII had a boring and predictable plot (quite aside from the gameplay problems, since my opinion on them is hardly unique).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The character deserves far more bashing than the voice actor, I will admit that much.
    See, I don't get that. The first 6 games in the series (Vii and VIII as well if you think about it) brought us villains who were just "I R EVIL."

Seymour had a decent enough goal and a proper motivation. The only thing wrong with his character was he dragged on too long. Too many fights and disappearing acts and it did get boring. That's the fault of the plot more than his actual character, though.

It had nothing to do with his goals or motivation. Goals for FF villains are easy to find. Just pick one from the list:

A. Destroy the world
    B. Become a god, then destroy the world
    C. Do both at once (efficiency points!)

Seymour was terrible because he had zero personality. Partly due to the voice actor, but mostly because his writing gave him very little to work with. You could replace him with a robot and not notice. Maybe we've had plenty of insane villains, but you can never say that Kefka was lacking in the personality department.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Well I just don't see how he lacked personality. I mean, it's hard to summarize his personality but he had one. I guess the best way to describe his personality is misguided. All the hell he went through as a child warped his psyche until he came to believe death was the only salvation from the neverending pain.

So yeah, his personality is he's a would-be savior.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I thought Seymour had a wonderful voice actor. He wasn't necessarily a bad villain, just a minor one. I simply disagree when people classify as him as the main villain as opposed to Sin or (SPOILER)The Yevon faith as a whole.

I don't like Quina. FFVI was not my favorite, neither was FFIX. I quite enjoy FFVII. I think Vaan was a good character, and I'm content with seeing FFXII through his eyes even knowing that was originally Basch's role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I thought Seymour had a wonderful voice actor.

I think Vaan was a good character, and I'm content with seeing FFXII through his eyes even knowing that was originally Basch's role.
    I agree on both counts.

I consider IV to be the most overrated game in the series.

I was not emotionally moved by Aerith's death (other than being momentarily surprised and thinking the scene was visually pretty cool), and I believe the ubiquitous assertion that "anyone who doesn't doesn't get depressed and bawl their eyes out when Aerith dies is a soulless and worthless excuse for a human-being" to be ridiculous.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I got into the series late, and the graphics are now a deterrent for me going back and playing a lot of the games that people deem to be the best.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Despite being one of the more vocal people on the debate of VII's merits as a "revolutionary game" and despite all my problems with the title, I actually do like the game.

I don't like X, in fact I feel its easily the worst entry in the series and has no redeeming value as a title beyond serving as an example of how not to make a JRPG.

I think Yuna is one of the worst characters ever conceived in the FF series and no self-respecting female should ever want to be like her.

I feel Bartz is overrated, Galuf and Faris are far more interesting and endearing characters than he was.

I don't care for Locke, I also feel a dozen characters in VI are better than him. I'm also not a huge fan of Celes either.

I actually play VI and don' use the Figaro Bros. as permanent fixtures in my party.

I like VIII, despite the fact the title is crippled both in terms of gameplay and story telling, and has a weak cast overall, something about the title is endearing to me. I think its Squall, he's one of my favorite characters in the series. I also don't hate Rinoa, I don't necessarily love her but she's not as aggravating to me as Tifa, Dagger, and Yuan are.

I like XII and actually consider it to be the best candidate of the numbered series in terms of direction for the series.

I like FFII, and find nothing wrong with its Exp. system, its actually well thought out and you seriously don't need magic above a certain level anyway. Smurf Ultima.

I don't like Garnet or Zidane and I never cared for their love story.

I like Edward in FFIV, I also like Gordon in FFII. I hated having both leave my party cause I actually found them useful.

I probably have more but this all I can think of for now.

I think that 90% of the IX cast was comprised of morons who should die in fires. I was sad Zidane didn't die in the end. Also, I shall always firmly believe Kuja was a woman based on the closeup shot in the fmv despite the game referring to Kuja as a 'he.'

I never cared to use Agrias in FFT (idk why this is a big deal really but when I've mentioned my party to friends they go wtf over it lol)

I get bored with almost every last boss fight in the series EVER since they tend to be able to be done with me just pushing the attack command till they die w/o having to do anything else, which unfortunately sometimes makes it feel less climactic.

I make fun of Aeris for getting stabbed Oh well she can go be with Zack now I guess.

I think the FFIX card game is a waste of time since it gets you nothing other than a useless key item and an accessory, and you don't even need to be good to win the card tournament in the story.

I love Triple Triad and sphere break.

I thought FFX2 was a fun game, and I was happy Tidus and Yuna were back together in the end despite the fact the storyline wasn't the best of the series =/

I've never really cared for Terra in FFVI once she flies off in esper form b/c she's never felt like she's the main character to me anyway once she meets Locke.

I've never used Irvine in FFVIII in my main party even though the games one of my favorites, and I've played through it multiple times.

FFIX is probably my least favorite of the FFs I've beaten though I still like it despite all the hate I talk about it :x

I'll probably think of more stuff to add later.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Despite being one of the more vocal people on the debate of VII's merits as a "revolutionary game" and despite all my problems with the title, I actually do like the game.

I like VIII, despite the fact the title is crippled both in terms of gameplay and story telling, and has a weak cast overall, something about the title is endearing to me.
    I could probably just go through the thread and quote most of mine from other people but these are probably the biggest two.

If I break these games down into their constituant parts I can find numerous faults with just about everything, except the soundtrack for VII anyway, that was awesome. Playing both of them as a whole though, there's something that makes me like them in spite of themselves. Even more so in the case of VIII though I'd say. It's not that I like it more than VII, but I would say that VII is actually a decent game I like more than I should, but VIII is a terrible game I shouldn't like at all yet do.

I'll blame it on rose coloured nostalgia glasses I wear.

And just to throw one more out there, FFXII is one of the best games in the series. Deal with it.

Blog Entries

-Even though I'm a "new generation" FF gamer, I like the older games better than the newer games.
    -Bartz is probably my favorite character, tied with Locke and Celes. And Zidane. xD
    -I absolutely loved V and could never understand why it wasn't more popular.
    -I find VIII somewhat boring, although I'm still on the first disc.
    -Rydia annoys me sometimes. Maybe it's the way she dresses.
    -I adore III. It's definitely up there with my favorite games.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV