Thread: CK Competition, the staff, and other related incidents

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default CK Competition, the staff, and other related incidents

So the last thread was closed not because of a lack of valid discussion, but because it "wasn't really about Del." Considering I brought up the subject in there that he may have suddenly resigned over internal staff issues, discussions about that seem on-point. So here's a thread about all of it: the staff and the CK competition. Happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup
    Yet again you manage to reach up your butt and pull out some lawyer-speak without providing an actual counter argument.
    It's not "lawyer speak," it's "logic speak," which explains why you're not familiar with it. You can't just throw words and entire arguments in my mouth, refute them, and claim victory.

Suggesting voting for candidates is somehow an invalid form of selecting a winner is just stupid.
    I never said it's "invalid." I will say, however, that it's stupid in certain contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko
    You like the way Del did it, because it had the appearance of you mattering.
    Out of the things you said, I agree with this most. Yes, the staff in previous years has at least allowed for the illusion of the members mattering.

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu
    I had no problem with how the CK competition was run until this became a Ciddies contest.

And since when was "not liking the way the CK is chosen" the same as "hating fun?"
    One thing you learn around here is that, regardless of how blatantly hypocritical their actions are, they don't care what you think about it. Not agreeing is automatically "fun hating" and whatever other names Shlup wants to call you.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not "lawyer speak," it's "logic speak," which explains why you're not familiar with it. You can't just throw words and entire arguments in my mouth, refute them, and claim victory.
    And you can't just say "really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking., really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking.!" and do the same.

Not agreeing is automatically "fun hating" and whatever other names Shlup wants to call you.
    Me? Just me? Seriously?

Almost no one agrees with you. People have liked this competition, people have had fun, there's been a spike in activity, and the staff has gotten to know the people who actually want to be mods a lot better. There is no drawback here. The only drawback in this whole competition has been dealing with you.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

In general, I think the CK Competitions are fun events. I think the differences between this competition and previous ones is negligible. Really, you're just pulling different qualities from the members using different tasks. No big deal, just have fun with it. That's my stand.

I agreed with Goldenboko's statement in the other thread where he said something along the lines of "choosing a moderator through competition isn't the best way." It's a fun way. But it's not the best way. (In my opinion.) It is nice to know who's interested by holding an event, though. That way, they don't have to ask which is implied to be against the rules in the FAQ.

As far as not understanding why the staff does some things, some things are not meant to be understood. Decisions are made, people disagree. If they decide that the reasons are to be known, then they'll tell us. Otherwise, leave the can of worms closed because, frankly, it stinks.

It appears to me this is bothering you more than anyone else, Raistlin. Why don't you make a thread in Private Feedback instead?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because then he can't expose the staff for the evil bastards we are, I guess. Most lawyers do consider fun a crime.

I consider getting to know people who are interested in being moderators to be a perfectly valid reason to hold a competition. There are a lot of times where we've been discussing who to make a mod and I'm like "well, I know this person but not this one..." Having competitions like this makes it easy to get to know people. Like I've already stated, this competition put quite a few more CK candidates on the map for me, even if only one or zero people actually make it. I think that's legit.

Banned

I'm going to try clarify what the really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking. in the arguments were.

I can't speak for Raistlin, but what I originally said was that I did not like the fact that EoFF was voting for the next CK.

Here are things I did not say I had a problem with:

-the process of voting itself
    -voting in politics

I did not say that I had a problem with using the process of voting. I said that I had a problem with using voting for this particular event. It is different than voting for the next president, therefore the comparison of voting for the next CK with voting for the next president is a really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking..

Similarly, it is also a really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking. to say that disliking the way the next CK is chosen = disliking fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    Me? Just me? Seriously?
    Again, I can't speak for Raistlin. But when I said that, I was referring to more than just the you or the staff, since it was others who also said the "disliking fun" really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking..

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree that voting for the next moderator and voting for the next President are that much different that I deserve a "pfft, really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking." dismissal.

And disliking this competition is entirely the same as disliking fun. We all know Raistlin doesn't like fun. That part isn't even worth arguing.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I left for personal reasons. This was something I was thinking about doing for a while. With all the recent departures I had put it off, but with the winner(s) soon to be coming in I thought this would be a good time for the transition. A 'changing of the guard' I guess.

Yes there were some disagreements over the CK competition and other matters but there are always disagreements among us. I'm not really one to get involved in a whole lot of drama. The staff will still be strong without me and will continue to run this board effectively.

I appreciate getting not one but two threads from you about this Raistlin. It's nice to see you care. But don't read too much into this. Sometimes you just got to leave things as they are and not dig too deep. Maybe you should look into doing that with more than just this.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

This has become almost sickening. Of course the staff would never admit anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup
    Me? Just me? Seriously?
    Other staffers and members were calling me, PuPu, and others "hating fun," but you were the only one doing more name-calling. Only the latter part ("other names") was directed specifically at you.

I consider getting to know people who are interested in being moderators to be a perfectly valid reason to hold a competition.
    So that's the only reason now? Just "fun" isn't enough? I see you're now just ignoring the Breine issue about staffers making such determinations beforehand.

Del: you really disappoint me. I know other staffers refuse to ever admit any collective wrongdoing, but I expected some sort of integrity from you instead of what amounts to a Blue Wall. You really don't see anything wrong with the drastically decreasing staff resulting in an ever-further consolidation of power? You don't see that having negative consequences on both this CK competition and how the staff treats the members and public criticism in general? You at least seemed to be somewhat honest in my last Feedback thread. Maybe you did fit in well with that group of hypocrites.

I really did not expect this to get much worse. I should have learned long ago that it always can be.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never said it was just fun. Now who's putting words in whose mouth?

Dude, leave Del alone. Fine, his timing sucks but some of us actually live in the real world.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the worst part is those awful competition thread titles! They're so melodramatic!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought serious thread titles were funny.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Figures that the staff couldn't even leave up the plain criticism part of my post. Well here it is then, so everyone can read:

The staff denies any unfair and misleading favoritism in the CK competition, but recent events have shown that claim to be blatantly false. The staff is consolidating more and more into a smaller body completely dismissive and disrespectful of the regular members (see: the “tasks” for this CK competition, aka busy work to promote activity). Viewed from that perspective, the HUGE number of staff resignations this year makes a lot more sense: people dissatisfied with the changes in perspective from this group of staff members. I also think this is why Del just recently resigned.

The staff could not justify not only its early determination of Breine in the CK competition, but given that, could not justify the favoritism shown to him by his elimination rather than simply allowing him to “jump through hoops,” which is a perfect metaphor for this year’s CK competition. The staff is misleading people into thinking prior determinations have not been made, and given that sorry state of affairs, they are allowing everyone else to “jump through hoops” pointlessly while a favorite or two is let off.

As a dirty oldbie with such a reputation for elitism, I never thought I would be making this case against favoritism, but I certainly value logic and consistency higher. This is not fun for me. My CK Competition threads have been tiresome, and they revealed some disappointing things about the staff and how they view the regular members, along with the dismissive way they handle criticism. It is unpleasant and it looks like logic has failed to persuade them. Rationality cannot defeat the hopelessly irrational. And I am fed up with it.

So instead of words, here are pictures. Below is a list of pictures posted that have either resulted in unknown newbies being in trouble or NOT resulted in any trouble for well-liked veterans – all of which cases I attempted to argue against a frustrating, illogical staff. This is a history of hypocrisy, an attitude which permeates the staff even more today. It will be even more revealing to see how the staff deals with me.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last edited by Aerith's Knight; 03-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Raistlin... you are just so retarded.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ohh, look, the two people Raistlin were bitching out are now off of Staff. Now who will listen to whiny crybaby?